Folding boards

Started by saint76, April 27, 2013, 22:11

saint76

In the original owners manual on page 146 to be exact, it refers to a "folding board" which appears to fit over the roof when it is folded down to give it a really neat finish, including the gaps in the corners.

I have searched this forum and found no mention of them.  Does anyone have any information?

Thanks.

2 of the left

I guess you are referring to what members call tonneau covers!!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  Use the search box
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM!!

Mike_V

Do you mean these, tonneau covers.

EX 2000 MR2 Roadster,silver,grey/black leather trim,TTE rear bumper inserts,black-grey Momo steering wheel,17" Rota GT3 wheels,KYB struts and FK springs,TRD short shifter with brass shifter bushes,Matt Performance under body brace,Megan arms,Che ARBs,Pirhana discs and Yellow stuff pads,Custom stage 2 T28 SP Turbo,charge cooler system,Helix clutch,lightened flywheel,Moroso sump, custom exhaust and induction kit,550 cc injectors,Link storm G4 ECU with 260bhp&240 ft lbs.
----------------------------------------
2004 Red edition in Sable.
http://s984.photobucket.com/albums/ae323/Mike_V/

2 of the left

In the older type of open top sports car, tonneau covers would be employed to cover the cabin area of the car and would attach by press studs from the leading edge of the dash/windscreen, horizontally, to the area behind the seats (Long before the days of headrests and seats designed to reduce the effects of whip lash!!)

Mike_V

Quote from: "2 of the left"In the older type of open top sports car, tonneau covers would be employed to cover the cabin area of the car and would attach by press studs from the leading edge of the dash/windscreen, horizontally, to the area behind the seats (Long before the days of headrests and seats designed to reduce the effects of whip lash!!)

+1 but that's the name that's been given to these for some reason.
EX 2000 MR2 Roadster,silver,grey/black leather trim,TTE rear bumper inserts,black-grey Momo steering wheel,17" Rota GT3 wheels,KYB struts and FK springs,TRD short shifter with brass shifter bushes,Matt Performance under body brace,Megan arms,Che ARBs,Pirhana discs and Yellow stuff pads,Custom stage 2 T28 SP Turbo,charge cooler system,Helix clutch,lightened flywheel,Moroso sump, custom exhaust and induction kit,550 cc injectors,Link storm G4 ECU with 260bhp&240 ft lbs.
----------------------------------------
2004 Red edition in Sable.
http://s984.photobucket.com/albums/ae323/Mike_V/

Jandaw

Surely the folding board is the one under the roof as you fold it down?

mrzwei

Oh my old Mk1 Sprite   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Oxford dictionary: 'tonneau cover removable flexible cover for the passenger seats in an open car, boat etc. when they are not in use'.
'tonneau, the part of a motor car occupied by the back seats'.

I give you that for what it's worth   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

2 of the left

Quote from: "Jandaw"Surely the folding board is the one under the roof as you fold it down?
Have checked manual - The folding board is the platform on which the folded soft top sits - once in the down position there are gaps either side of folded roof - Should you wish to cover these gaps then 2 tonneau covers are required - these are Toyota extras but can be found  on a certain auction site

saint76

Quote from: "2 of the left"
Quote from: "Jandaw"Surely the folding board is the one under the roof as you fold it down?
Have checked manual - The folding board is the platform on which the folded soft top sits - once in the down position there are gaps either side of folded roof - Should you wish to cover these gaps then 2 tonneau covers are required - these are Toyota extras but can be found  on a certain auction site

Thanks.  I had a feeling it was a bit of a dumb question and I was obviously right  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:   It is much clearer on the picture above than in the brochure.

Paul-B

I like the look of these, too... looks as if they might be quite easy to make using hardboard or something similar covered with leatherette. Has anyone here done this?

trevsmr2

Quote from: "Paul-B"I like the look of these, too... looks as if they might be quite easy to make using hardboard or something similar covered with leatherette. Has anyone here done this?

I started didn't finish them

cut the shape from some thin perspex sheet,i used perspex so i could see the shape needed

Test Covered them in material from an old roof i cut up

heated them up with a hair dryer to shape to the contours of the roof

What they looked like after heating

these were only a trial ,i didnt have enough material to cover them properly ,and would have been better if i could have got the weave the right way
 i couldnt work out how to fit them at the front ,the sides and rear tuck in under the frame,and are fine

Chucked them in the garage and bought some of the fibreglass ones from the group buy i started instead,

amz91

For a trail there pretty decent  s;-) ;-) s;-)
Blue 2000 pfl roadster, gutted pre cats, The Ultimate Gear Shift Cable Bushings, Markii pipe, devs door sills, MR2 leather armrest, JDM bonnet badge, sp body brace, edge speakers, powder coated alloys, Vogtland lowering springs, ROC drop links, EBC brake pads, toyo proxes, FL side vents, FL door arms, FL control unit... more to follow \":)\"

trevsmr2

Quote from: "amz91"For a trail there pretty decent  s;-) ;-) s;-)

Thanks ,i was quite pleased with them ,shame i didn't have more roof material to do them again

Here the part number if anyone want to price them up

64920-17011-C0       BLACK, 040 , 1E3 , 1E7 , 202 , 3P0 , 576 , 6R4 , 8M6
64920-17011-E0       TAN, 040 , 1E3 , 1E7 , 202 , 3P0 , 576 , 6R4 , 8M6

SteveMK3

Quote from: "trevsmr2"
Quote from: "amz91"For a trail there pretty decent  s;-) ;-) s;-)

Thanks ,i was quite pleased with them ,shame i didn't have more roof material to do them again

Here the part number if anyone want to price them up

64920-17011-C0       BLACK, 040 , 1E3 , 1E7 , 202 , 3P0 , 576 , 6R4 , 8M6
64920-17011-E0       TAN, 040 , 1E3 , 1E7 , 202 , 3P0 , 576 , 6R4 , 8M6

I'd really like as set of these does anyone know if they're still available as I thought I'd read somewhere that they had been discontinued?

amz91

Iv been looking too can't seem to find any at all  s:-( :-( s:-(
Blue 2000 pfl roadster, gutted pre cats, The Ultimate Gear Shift Cable Bushings, Markii pipe, devs door sills, MR2 leather armrest, JDM bonnet badge, sp body brace, edge speakers, powder coated alloys, Vogtland lowering springs, ROC drop links, EBC brake pads, toyo proxes, FL side vents, FL door arms, FL control unit... more to follow \":)\"

2 of the left

I guess the top isn't down long enough to warrant tonneau covers in the UK!!  s:( :( s:(    s:( :( s:(    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Mine have grown on me and pop on and off real easy   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

trevsmr2

Quote from: "Les"Mine have grown on me and pop on and off real easy   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

look good mate ,finishes the rear off nicely ,what type of clips did you use to fix them ?

amz91

Quote from: "Les"Mine have grown on me and pop on and off real easy   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Look really nice mate  :-) :-) :-)

dcod

Quote from: "amz91"Look really nice mate  :-) :-) :-)

+1

Looks very professional.
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

Anonymous

I did drill the two points for using the original popper clips but found them to be a pain when taking them off, I had to cut these to fit round the hard top brackets and found they are held in quite firmly without any retainers so I used some plastic screw caps I had to cover the holes.

[youtube:7cqyf4y5]PQgLDKcEjYg[/youtube:7cqyf4y5]

amz91

You should make up and sell  s;-) ;-) s;-)

swampy_donkey

Quote from: "amz91"You should make up and sell  s;-) ;-) s;-)

+1
K&N panel filter - Markiii Pipe - TRD Style Bar - Chrome Filler Cap - Hard Top - Clear Side Indicators - Visor Plugs - Dev\'s Keyhole Covers - Silver Callipers - Pioneer DEH-4400BT + CD-SR110 - Red Leather Interior - Red footwell LEDs - Mud Flaps - Custom fit luggage - OBDII reader

cartoys

In Australia they are no longer available and they are tonneau gap fillers I like the type that is moulded and secured with the 2 additional original popper clips.
I would like to buy a set of these professional ones can anyone tell me were I can get them and the approximate cost + shipping to South Australia.
This is a new member first post MRS 2003 spider MRKIII Thanks any help would be appreciated.

Tags: