Toyo Proxes T1-R

Started by Tem, June 27, 2004, 20:18

fstsven

Wrong picture  s:!: :!: s:!:    s:?: :?: s:?:    s:!: :!: s:!:    

s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

I must say I am VERY disappointed now...    s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  

Those T1 R's don't look half as good as those I'd mistaken them for...   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  
In fact, they don't even look as good as the T1 S    s:? :? s:?  

Ok, ok, I know, tires aren't really a cosmetic issue, but if they do very well what they're designed for, good looks are a nice bonus right?    s:) :) s:)  

Guess I'll stick to my beloved F1's for now, then     s8) 8) s8)
2004 fire red TOYOTA MR
K&N air filter
BLUEFLAME single exhaust
APEX progressive rate springs (-30mm)
3.ORACING breastplate
TOYO proxes R1R 205/50/15(f)-225/45/16(r)
25 kgs extra lightness

Tem

Quote from: "Tem"Of course they are supposed to be better than the T1-S, but...  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

Back to T1-R's...the Japanese site has some interesting info:
 m http://www.toyojapan.com/new_tires/index2_1.html m

Click on "Tread design" etc. They compare it against the T1-S
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

heathstimpson

Whats the data regarding 1st and 2nd development sizes about  s:?: :?: s:?:  Can you only buy 2nd sizes  s:?: :?: s:?:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Bongo

Not 100% sure but i think 1st dev are available now and 2nd dev are coming soon...

Tem

Quote from: "Bongo"Not 100% sure but i think 1st dev are available now and 2nd dev are coming soon...

I think you're right, cause at least 185/55/15 and 205/50/15 are available now and they are both in the 1st dev series.

Anonymous

...and 215/45/16 + 185/55/15 are available for the 2003on as well!  I'll have a look at mytyres fro prices now I think.

Anonymous

Does anyone know much about BF Goodrich tyres? I know they're now owned and manufactures by Michellin but that's about all. I like the look of their new G-Force Profiler which looks very similar to the new Proxes T1-R.

m http://www.bfgoodrichtyres.co.uk/servle ... k#news1512 m

heathstimpson

From what I have read previously the Goodrich's are not worth the money as they are not that good; especially on a 2.
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

Thank's for that...   s:( :( s:(

Anonymous

Seeing as nobody has posted anything here for a while, I guess I may be the first to have driven some T1R's.  Unfortunately for my reputation here, these were not on a '2, but on an MX5.  Specifically my mate's (now supercharged!) MX5 that we use for trackdays.  

During an all-day session at Cadwell yesterday, we made a few observations.  The tyres felt really grippy and predictable, good feel.  Sizes were 195/50x15 all round.  We certainly worked them hard, but we were slightly surprised by how soft the compound was, though obviously you trade grip for life.  They got hot and started to go off after a few laps but playing with the pressures helped a lot.  Perhaps oddly, reducing pressures 2psi all round seemed to make the handling more consistent as the tyres got hotter (as well as killing off some nasty understeer).  Seemed unusually pressure-sensitive to me.  

In all, I think I'll get some for the '2 when the time comes, but I don't expect them to last anything like as well as the RE040's.

Anonymous

Quote from: "heathstimpson"From what I have read previously the Goodrich's are not worth the money as they are not that good; especially on a 2.

According to the TireRack comparison ratings, the BFG KD's offer the highest dry grip (9.5 rating) on the market, short of "R" compound track-only tires; KD's are rated better for dry grip than the Bridgestone S-03's.  

I know some New Hampshire guys who swear by them ... on track days.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Tem"
Quote from: "Tem"Of course they are supposed to be better than the T1-S, but...  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

Back to T1-R's...the Japanese site has some interesting info:
 m http://www.toyojapan.com/new_tires/index2_1.html m

Click on "Tread design" etc. They compare it against the T1-S

I wonder what they WEIGH?    s:) :) s:)  

... anyone seen full specs, including tire weight?

The old Toyo T1-S had a reputation for being light-weight ... and were used with lightweight wheels to achieve 0.4 - 0.5 seconds PmD gains by many folks.

Tem

Toyo's site doesn't seem to have T1-R yet...the weights will probably appear there once they do as they have the weights for other tyres as well, here's T1-S:
 m http://www.toyo.com/tires/tire_specsheet.cfm?id=2 m

Tem

T1-R weights, thanks Joe Schmoe@SC!  s8) 8) s8)

Joe Schmoe

Keep in mind that those aren't confirmed by Toyo, to my knowledge.

Joe Schmoe

philster_d

I have these tyres on my MK2 turbo.

They are good tyres. and good value.

Philster.

Anonymous

Hi guys.
This is my first post on here and I'm after some advice.
I have an O2 reg Roadster and I have a serious tyre issue.
A few weeks back I decided I needed new rear tyres as the original Yokohamas were well past their sell-by-date (the fronts are getting low, but still got a few miles left in them.)
I went along to a local tyre place and they recommended some Avon tyres.
I went with their recommendation and had them fitted to the back.

However, the first time I blatted down my local by-pass the handling felt all over the place. The steering seemed to take on a mind of it's own. It felt very light, and under high speed acceleration the car got very twicthy. It felt almost like the front end was "on ice". Very frigthening.
Any ideas why? Does mixing the tyres really have such a drastic effect? Could it be something else?

Anyway, the problem hasnt gone away, and to top it off one of the new tyres has a irrepairable puncture. Therefore I want to ditch the new tyres and also replace the fronts. I was looking at these Toyo tyres.

Any help and advice very much appreciated.

Regards,

Ian.

markiii

yep on these cars, mixing tyres has that bad an effect.

downrigjht dangerous and Avons aren't particularly marvelous tyres anyway.

take it very easy until you have your T1Rs fitted,

and even then take it a little easy for teh first week, proxies take a while for the release agent to rub off.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Thanks mate, advice appreciated.

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"yep on these cars, mixing tyres has that bad an effect.
After first hand experience I'd say that was an understatement  s;-) ;-) s;-)

philster_d

I looked and mine are T1-S   not R

Phil

Rogue

I've got four Toyo Proxes T1-R's going onto my Racing Hart rims tomorrow afternoon. It'll be a couple of weeks until I get to use them, but I'll offer up an opinion when I can. Sizes I've gone for are 235/35/19 front and 265/30/19 rear. Ideally I wanted 225/35/19 front, but these won't be available for a few months. I may ultimately go to a wider tyre at the rear (10" wide rear rims mean I've got room for manouvere) but we'll see how they perform first.

Rogue

Ernie Ball

19s?!  Whoah.

Where'd you get the RacingHarts, by the way?

Rogue

Quote from: "Ernie Ball"Where'd you get the RacingHarts, by the way?

Racing Hart in Japan... They had to be custom made for the offsets that I required. Gareth at Envy Performance ( m http://www.envyperformance.com m ) sorted everything out for me. Pictures:

Rogue

Tags: