Tyres thread again.

Started by Jrichards20, July 28, 2013, 20:04

Jrichards20

Hi

I have been searching endlessly through tyres threads to find some information and just need a little more.

After recently seeing Loadswine has 195/55/15 fitted and i think 225/50/16 I am wondering what are the limitations to tyre sizes?

I know that standard is meant to be 185/55/15 and 205/50/16.

Would you be able to fit, 195/50/15s on? And what would the difference be? Increase/Decrease acceleration, change in handling etc.

So what im asking really is there a set leeway that you can choose on tyre sizes?
[strike]2005 Black - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster TURBO[/strike]
[strike]2000 Red - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]Lotus Elise S2 - Silver[/strike]
[strike]2000 Blue - MR2 V6 Roadster[/strike]
Street Triple 765 RS

Wabbitkilla

Use this for comparing tyre sizes  m http://www.alloywheels.com/Tyre_Calculator m
Correct rear tyre size is 215/45/16
Many including loads wine like 225/40/16 as an alternative ... Works very nicely.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Jrichards20

Why does no online tyre dealer seem to have tyres of the same match in the sizes that I want.

I have tried 195/50/15 and 225/40/16 and no luck
185/55/15 and 215/45/16

has anyone bought tyres recently. I am looking at Toyo T1-R or Lassa Impetus Sports.

Could they possibly put link up where they have staggered tyres for sale?
Street Triple 765 RS

ChrisGB

Go for the T1R in 195/50R15 and either 225/45 or 225/40 R16. Should be readily available from Camskill.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Wabbitkilla

People have been getting good deals on the Toyo's via tyre traders.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from

Redfrog

I do have 205/45-16 and 225/45-16 (Toyo Proxes R1R's are my tyres).
Very good tyres indeed in terms of grip, but those tend to wear quickly.
My set has seen about 12 000 kilometers now, and i guess 15 000 km is absolute maximum
with quite rough driving (car is still N/A, not turbo).
Those are available in 195/50 and 195/55 in 15" as well.
I am quite sure that you will get those from Camskill.
Another option might be Yokohama Advans, but i am not aware of the available sizes.
Search, and you will find. Good luck!

Jrichards20

On camskill right now and no Toyos. I just dont know what is going on...
Street Triple 765 RS

Jrichards20

Tyretraders. Sizes I want all four for 175 delivered. Well Chuffed! I think thats a bargin!
Street Triple 765 RS

AndyM

Nice. Need some myself, may place an order  s:) :) s:)

Practical question(s)...

Can you fit 4 tyres in a '2 leaving the passenger seat it?

Will most garages fit tyres not purchased through them? Will chain garages (Kwikfit and the like) do it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Ex-owner: 2003 Sable - Hardtop, Black Leather, A/C, lots (and lots) of mods

Jrichards20

I have tried before and struggled for hours. I only managed two in. My first plan was to tske car down there then come back with tyres in an X5 which they would fit  s:) :) s:)  but then realised tyretrades send them to a fitting place to be fitted etc and came to 234 so for an extra 50 could have fitted. Never seen tyres so cheap! I would get an order in now for them!
Street Triple 765 RS

wotugonado

post removed
---------------Tte turbo----------------
      Graced the tarmac from 2014-2019

dori dori

I will sort you a number out tomorrow to phone a local tyre depo to me he sells loads through ebay and mentioned he was doing a t1r package for pfl alloys so should be able to do fl to, postage aint a problem either
"You spin me right round baby"

steve b

Quote from: "Jrichards20"I have tried before and struggled for hours. I only managed two in. My first plan was to tske car down there then come back with tyres in an X5 which they would fit  s:) :) s:)  but then realised tyretrades send them to a fitting place to be fitted etc and came to 234 so for an extra 50 could have fitted. Never seen tyres so cheap! I would get an order in now for them!

You didn't try hard enough.

P.s. these are the tyres you want, yoko AD08's - brilliant, have very much been taken up with the Elise crowd.
2002 Face lifted 6 Speed UK 2ZZGE MR2 track car & 2.7T A6 Avant. CBR1000RR & CBR600F.

Jrichards20

Yes my friend with a elise s1 wants them. If you dont mind me asking what sizes did you go for and how much were hey because apparently they are v expensive!
Street Triple 765 RS

steve b

195/50/15 & 225/45/16 £460 a set, worth every penny.
2002 Face lifted 6 Speed UK 2ZZGE MR2 track car & 2.7T A6 Avant. CBR1000RR & CBR600F.

Stifler

Steve, where did you get the Yoko's from?  Trying to find them to fit but having no joy.

markevo6

I recently bought a set of Yokos AD08's  195/50/15 & 225/45/16  and a set of Toyo T1-R's 195/50/15 & 225/40/16 from Ears Motorsport and found their prices to be reasonable .

m http://www.ears.co.uk/m4/Yokohama-Tyres ... _info.html m    £ 70 each  ( 140 pr )
 m http://www.ears.co.uk/m4/Yokohama-Tyres ... _info.html m   £ 115 each ( 230 pr )

Total £ 370 for the AD08's

m http://www.ears.co.uk/m3/Toyo-Tyres/p10 ... _info.html m   £ 35.99 each  ( 71 .98 pr )
 m http://www.ears.co.uk/m3/Toyo-Tyres/p10 ... _info.html m  £ 49.00 each  ( 98.00 pr )

Total £ 169.98 for the T1-R's

I wanted to run the AD08's as I run them on 2 of my other cars and find them very good , unfortunately I felt that they altered the gearing too much for my liking on my 2ZZ so resorted to the T1R's in the 40 profile .

If your running a 1ZZ engine I would most definitely go for the AD08's , but you cant beat the T1R's for value for money .

Hope that helps

Mark

Stifler

Thanks for the links Mark, you're a legend.  I've been having  a right problem finding them.

I had toyo's on my first 2 around 7 years ago and thought they were okay, nothing special but good value for money.  I've had the yoko's on 3 Elises and found them to be excellent so wanted to try them on a 2, fingers crossed they are as good as ever.

Thanks again for the links!

- Mark.

markevo6

No probs , enjoy your tyres - the AD08's are great when scrubbed in .

steve b

Quote from: "markevo6"I recently bought a set of Yokos AD08's  195/50/15 & 225/45/16  and a set of Toyo T1-R's 195/50/15 & 225/40/16 from Ears Motorsport and found their prices to be reasonable .

m http://www.ears.co.uk/m4/Yokohama-Tyres ... _info.html m    £ 70 each  ( 140 pr )
 m http://www.ears.co.uk/m4/Yokohama-Tyres ... _info.html m   £ 115 each ( 230 pr )

Total £ 370 for the AD08's

I wanted to run the AD08's as I run them on 2 of my other cars and find them very good , unfortunately I felt that they altered the gearing too much for my liking on my 2ZZ so resorted to the T1R's in the 40 profile .

If your running a 1ZZ engine I would most definitely go for the AD08's , but you cant beat the T1R's for value for money .

Hope that helps

Mark

That's a great price for the AD08's

P.s. are you running Celica ratios on the 2zz?  Can't say I've tried 40 profile rears but don't have a problem with 45's.  Celica standard tyres are 205/50/16 that's basically the same as 225/45/16, infact the 225/45/16 diameter is 0.33% smaller than the standard Celica size so actually lowers gearing from the Celica setup.

Stifler

Just to update, ordered the AD08's from Ears on Friday morning and they arrived early this morning.  Great service from them and a cracking price.

Should be getting them fitted next weekend as I'm having the wheels refurbed and painted, some TTE springs fitted and then a 4 wheel alignment performed.

Thanks for all the help and the links.

-Mark.

chimpman

Tyres, seems to be a feisty subject! quick questions

the "official" tyre ratings say my stock bridgestones are rated as a "C" for wet grip, the Toyos are rated "E" are they really? people here seem to thing they are far better in the wet than the bridgestones?

A popular choice for sizes for the T1R is 195/50/15 and 2x 225/40/16. The stock bridgestones are 55 and 45. is there much advantage in the slightly lower profile?

if i go for the Toyos but with the 55 & 45 profile will that change the pressure recomendations?

....and... GO! (keep it polite)
2005 Chilli Red. Mods.... Pine magic tree

markevo6

Hi Steve ,

Sorry to post off subject but to answer Steve's question , my car is Steve - m-uk 's old car and I believe he swapped the internals of the 2ZZ box into the roadster box , fitted the lsd along with the 4.529 final drive and the roadster 6th gear .

There is definitely a difference between the AD08's 45's and the Toyo's T1R 40's , more acceleration but loss of the low rev's when cruising on the motorway but not enough to worry me . I prefer to have the better acceleration personally
just a shame the AD08's don't come in the 40's as that would be ideal for me .

Hope that helps

Mark

Wabbitkilla

Remember the profile is a percentage of the tyre width (I've said this far too many times already) so the difference in overall tyre diameter isn't as obvious because the 40 profiles are wider etc.

Look up the tyre size calculator at alloy wheels.co.UK to compare overall rolling diameter of the different size tyres.

The Toyos I found are far netter in the wet than the Bridgestones, a lot comes down to personal preference and driving style. Making the tyre letter gradings a farce really as they're aimed at people who 'just buy a tyre', and aren't really interesting in driving dynamics.

chimpman

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"Remember the profile is a percentage of the tyre width (I've said this far too many times already) so the difference in overall tyre diameter isn't as obvious because the 40 profiles are wider etc.

Look up the tyre size calculator at alloy wheels.co.UK to compare overall rolling diameter of the different size tyres.

The Toyos I found are far netter in the wet than the Bridgestones, a lot comes down to personal preference and driving style. Making the tyre letter gradings a farce really as they're aimed at people who 'just buy a tyre', and aren't really interesting in driving dynamics.

thanks, didn't think it was ahuge issue. wet peformance is important to me, not because i intend to push it but because i scared my self too often in my old X1/9. keep up the good work, the site is an excellent resource.
2005 Chilli Red. Mods.... Pine magic tree

Tags: