13cm Component recommendations?

Started by Wabbitkilla, September 17, 2013, 14:21

Wabbitkilla

I'm replacing my speakers (again).

I'm running the Kenwood KDC-BT92SD HU which is around 30W rms x4 ... but only using the front channels.
So I'm wondering what people who muck about with I.C.E would recommend, Alpine, Edge, Focal?

Not massively expensive but decent quality in a noisy car?
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

nathanMR2

Ive been happy with my Kappa Infinity Speakers Nic. You can have a listen at the weekend if you like
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

Wabbitkilla

Thanks Nathan, for info i need mains and tweeters with cross-overs preferably.
My current Focals sound a bit torn but they were second hand.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from

Two's Company

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"My current Focals sound a bit torn

That's just the exhaust...   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   (or stop playing Natlalie Imbruglia...)

Anonymous

For me I like the vibe components. I know others will say its crap, but I like deep to mid speakers that have a rounded sound which for me the vibes do well.

s12vea

Vibe are good if on a budget but I have to say I like my focals. Think I paid £85 delivered from well know auction site
TF204 Blue
Another one won't hurt  .....

stargazer30

The only way to get decent quality in a noisy car is for the speakers to be able to run loud to overcome the road noise without clipping.  Sorry to say but thats not happening on a HU amp.  I'd be suprised if the HU is 30W RMS.  Most are 50w PMPO which is more like 20w or less RMS.   Focals/Kappa's/vibe whatever you use you won't get the best out of them on a HU amp.  No way you can stretch to a small 2 ch amp too?  

Anyway based on my experience in my 2's..
Rainbow dreamline (£180), best sound, no contest but not cheap.
Focal A165s (£100) - best combo of sound vs price
Phonocar  (£60)- what I have now, cheap and have held up okay but not in the same league as the above.
Edge 306 (£35)- very very cheap and not all that bad actually.
2003 Silver MR2 - Very Very Standard + Leccy Renault Zoe aka the battery mobile.
Ex Blue 04 MR2 - TTE Turbo\'d ~185bhp/200lbs/ft, Sports Clutch, Breast Plate, Lowered & half decent audio
Ex Silver 05 MR2 -  SP turbo conversion 227bhp, 205lbs/ft, with  cobra dual exit exhaust.

Wabbitkilla

All interesting, keep it coming.
Didn't really want to go the route of extra amping, the car is noisy enough and if I can't overcome the exhaust then there's no point   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

loadswine

Alpine X series if you can find a set secondhand. They have the best crossover units I've seen and sound superb. I also like Infintys and rainbows, focals are fine as well.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

AndyM

I will personally be going with my KEF KAR comps in mine, however I've had things from the Infinity Kappa series before and have always been impressed. A listen to Nathan's setup at Ding Day did nothing to change that opinion and they are still on my shortlist if the KEFs don't work out how I want.

I do agree with the amping point though, even if you don't play them any 'louder' you'll still get improved SQ and range as they will be able to move better/quicker. A little 2-channel Genesis would be perfect for example*.

* it's so easy spending other people's money isn't it  s;) ;) s;)  
Ex-owner: 2003 Sable - Hardtop, Black Leather, A/C, lots (and lots) of mods

fretlessfender

Focal A165s + Genesis 2 ch amp to get the best out of them. Amp fits under the passengers seat. Stock hu won't have enough grunt to drive them properly.  s:grin: :grin: s:grin:
Underbody bracing, Maxbore TB, Pipercross filter, Pre-cats gone, solid gearchange bushes, Focal A165s + Genesis Profile 2 amp + Eonon head unit, which sort of does everything it claims to but not as well as it should.... Red, 2000, hardtop in the garage for the summer. \":-)\"

Flipside

I have mb quart, I've had these speakers 10 years and they sound as good as the day I bought them.  Nice set of speakers.

If I was to change then probably look at mb quartz again or  focal or hertz,  but only with an amp,
2001 low mileage, mods: K&N 57i gen 2, toyosports manifold and Cobra twin exhaust, unichip. Colour coded side vents and spoiler.  not forgetting the ICE Install, stock sony head unit, sony xa300 aux input, bluetooth connection, 4 channel hertz digital amp, 2 channel hertz ep2 amp, mb quart components, hertz 10" subwoofer in the bins and UD JL 6.5 in sub. Boom!

carlclarke

Mine are Focal 165A1 (now 'archived' in Focal speak to mean obsolete). The description from Focal says:
Quote2 way 165mm (6.5") drivers kit, separate crossover with tweeter level control. Grilles included. The Access line's defining reference combines high power handling, extended low frequency response, large soundstage, high dynamics and high efficiency. It will even allow direct connection to a High Power car radio.
And it is true - they are very good with my high power Pioneer HU, that is what my local car audio dealer advised when I started looking at more expensive Focal units - he got a cheaper sale happily by giving good advice (that is rare).

The current model is 165 A1 SG and has the same It will even allow direct connection to a High Power car radio in the description whereas the 165 A3 SG  and above do not.

Find a nice dealer/installer - they should know as they are dealing with them every day.

simonlacey88

Must admit mate, I put in a set of Focals and they are very good, sounds good with the new alpine double din I put in

Regards

Simon

ayresyboy

I need a 4 channel amp to fit under passenger seat. Any recommendations and where can I buy?
SW20 Gen4 Turbo // SW20 1MZ V6

ayresyboy

Heres mine. Got them for free from my bro. Sound good hooked up to my alpine 2 ch amp.

SW20 Gen4 Turbo // SW20 1MZ V6

AndyM

Quote from: "ayresyboy"I need a 4 channel amp to fit under passenger seat. Any recommendations and where can I buy?

I was looking at this too and considered a Helix HXA 400 (which is what I had in my old Mini) as it's pretty thin. However, I still don't think it'll fit properly dimensions wise and there isn't enough space under there to give it sufficient cooling really.

When/if I finally get round to doing my audio, my plan is to mount two Genesis Profile 2s low down behind the seats (under the bin doors).
Ex-owner: 2003 Sable - Hardtop, Black Leather, A/C, lots (and lots) of mods

Tarn

Im currently saving for a pair of German maestro sv6509.. Just need to find somewhere that sells them..and save another 200squid :-/
At the beginning of an Mr2 Journey!

trickyD

My experience is that Focal are first rate, I had the access range comps running of a kicker amp and they sounded really clear and punchy.
I've also used Infinity Reference and Kappa comps and think the Reference are amazing value and work well off the HU. The Kappas really need an amp to run well.

People also recommend the cheap "halfords" sold brands of Edge, Fli and Vibe (all related).
I'm sure they won't be in the same league as the above.
I've 90% chosen the "Fli" comps for the MR2 since they we £35 and potential for good SQ in the '2 is limited IMHO.
[size=85]Black 2003 FL Roadster - sold [/size]

Bits for sale!

My Guide to Refurbishing Alloy Wheels

Tags: