lowering my 2001 mk3

Started by Anonymous, July 14, 2004, 18:39

Anonymous

Hi there,

Just picked up my MK3 two days ago and looooove it! However I've seen a couple of people driving around with lowered ones. What springs are the cheapest to get (not too crappy though) and how much lower would it be 2.5cm 3cm etc. Does anything else need to be changed on the vehicle after it's been lowered, or is that it?

Many thanks,
J

Anonymous

Welcome to the club.

Try searching the forum for lowering AND springs. This should point you towards the TTE or Eibach(sp?) springs that most people fit.

Anonymous

do you know roughly how much they would cost, and on which web sites etc could I buy them?

cheers,
J

Liz

You can get them from you local Toyota dealer, mine were fitted over a year ago and I would not like to comment on price, they have probably gone up! Welcome by the way   s:) :) s:)
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

Again, not to moan, but if you looked for those search results you would see this post:

m http://www.mr2roc.org/forum/viewtopic.p ... ng+springs m

markiii

the eibachs are approx £150 and can be got from most max muppet places, Demon Tweeks sell them if IIRC,

however a search will yeild all this and more.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Slacey

Whereabouts are you? I can get a good price on the TTE springs, but they need to be collected from Yorkshire area.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

A one-inch drop is probably best.  H&R springs, which is what I have, drop 1.5 inches and they make your car so low you have quite the silly grin.  However, it is harder to get a good alignment.  Another downside to lowering is that it may limit your choice of bodykits.  I cannot do a Street Slider front & rear fender, for example.

My #1 recommendation for anyone, the best mod I have done, is either the full TRD Sportivo kit (1 inch drop spring, swaybars, and stiffer struts) or something a bit better: <your favorite> springs, TRD swaybars (same as in Sportivo kit), and Koni inserts.  Those Konis are really, really good.  Someone who is into hardcore racing may want something even stiffer than the Konis on their stiffest setting (they are easily adjusted).

Tem

Quote from: "Beanie"<your favorite> springs, TRD swaybars (same as in Sportivo kit), and Koni inserts

Sounds good, but I'd swap the TRD sways for TTE adjustables, if you live on this side of the pond. Easier to get and a lot cheaper than the TRD sways over here  s8) 8) s8)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

THEMOSS

Jimmy,
          I had my 2001 car lowered with TTE springs about 3 months ago. They cost me £138 from Toyota Sidcup. I then had them fitted at the local Hi-Q for £120 cash (not gonna pay Mr T prices). The difference they make is incredible. The car's 30mm lower yet the ride quality hasn't suffered. The car is now like it's on rails, just amazing. If your gonna do one mod to the car, make it the springs, you won't regret it.........
Lotus Elise Sport 160

Anonymous

Someone warned me about stock struts wearing out and just a few months after I put the H&R springs on I started feeling a difference, like the struts weren't like they used to be.  They still worked, there was just some "slop" in the handling.  As soon as I did the Koni insert thing, problem solved.

Anonymous

I know this may sound stupid, but what are Koni inserts and how much do they cost/where do they come from?

Many thanks,
Jimmy

MRMike

Quote from: "THEMOSS"Jimmy,
          I had my 2001 car lowered with TTE springs about 3 months ago. They cost me £138 from Toyota Sidcup. I then had them fitted at the local Hi-Q for £120 cash (not gonna pay Mr T prices). The difference they make is incredible. The car's 30mm lower yet the ride quality hasn't suffered. The car is now like it's on rails, just amazing. If your gonna do one mod to the car, make it the springs, you won't regret it.........

Having had the car lowered and the Anti flex plate fitted, I'd have to agree with the consensus on here that the anti flex plate should be the first handling mod.  IMO it made a much bigger difference to the handling of the car than the lowered suspension.  

Your right though the lowered susp doesn't make any noticeable difference to the ride quality.  However the car does ride harder, and without the anti flex plate I'd imagine the scuttle shake would be more pronounced. Have you noticed this?
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
and den....black S2000 with red leather interior  
and den.... New Imola Orange S2000
and den.....BMW Z4 3.0 - Understeer!!!![/size]
NOW M3 V8

Anonymous

Again another stupid question - What is an anitflex plate? and how much does it cost?

Many thanks,
Jimmy

Liz

Its one of these:

If you use the search you will find out those about them, and also I think a worthwhile 1st mod.
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

MRMike

There's a load of information about the anti-flex plate that can be found using the search.  There are a few anti-flex plates also, Corky's
 m http://ghcutters.com/CeeDapp/BP1.jpg m  the Antflex Pro
 m http://www.spydermagazine.com/files/GSBantiflex.jpg m  and a Cusco one which eludes me at the moment

Have a look through previous posts, heres a few to be getting on with

m http://www.mr2roc.co.uk/forum/viewtopic ... t=antiflex m

m http://www.mr2roc.co.uk/forum/viewtopic ... o+antiflex m

m http://www.mr2roc.co.uk/forum/viewtopic ... t=antiflex m

Basically it's a plate that attaches to OEM mounting points that reduces 'flex' or scuttle shake in the body.  Benefits of this are, you wonder why roads are much smoother all of a sudden, turn in is so much crisper.  And you'll have bags more confidence in the car, as the 'movement' in the body that felt like emergent oversteer before, is gone. Confidence in braking improves too, especially late braking into corners!  

Lowering the suspension completes the package, bar the front strut bar.  

I'll shut up now as the thread was about lowering   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
and den....black S2000 with red leather interior  
and den.... New Imola Orange S2000
and den.....BMW Z4 3.0 - Understeer!!!![/size]
NOW M3 V8

Anonymous

Thanks for all your help guys!!

Speak to you soon,
Jimmy

Tem

Quote from: "jimmy_fingers"I know this may sound stupid, but what are Koni inserts and how much do they cost/where do they come from?

They are shock absorbers, that require you to open the stock struts, take the stock absorber out and put the Koni's in.

Should be available from just about any car parts store, like  m http://www.fensport.co.uk/ m
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

THEMOSS

MRMike:-
Fortunately i rarely drive over poorly finished roads, but on the occassions i have, yes, my teeth have been rattling!!!!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Lotus Elise Sport 160

Tags: