Anyone had paint protection film fitted?

Started by GSB, July 16, 2004, 18:11

GSB

Anyone had the "invisible bra" job done on their '2? Its essentialy a clear plastic film thats applied over the paintwork in vulnerable areas to protect it from stonechips etc. Different places call it different names, Invinca shield, paintpro, armour fend etc. But the plastic iteslf is usually mae by 3M. You can find it fitted as standard to Elises, Ferrari's, Astons, Evo's etc. and its looks like a good way to avoid the stonechip plague.

So, anyone had it done? and if so, by who & how much?

[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Slacey

I looked into this but with Invincashield, but didn't go ahead as I deemed it too expensive; around £300 for the complete kit before fitting IIRC.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

heathstimpson

At the Warwick meet one of the guys had a problem where this coating was coming away from the front of his 2; someone help me here; the bloke with the apple green motor  s:? :? s:?
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Slacey

That would be SimonC_Here

heathstimpson

Quote from: "Slacey"That would be SimonC_Here
Cheers Sean thats the forum name I was trying to remember  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

I am told that Lotus offer it as a factort option for the Elise, which is similarly vulnerable to stonechips, and apparentl it works well.  I decided when I found out the cost that I would rather get the front resprayed after a few years, if it got bad.  Having seen the huge ships I've picked up in the first 9000 miles, I think I may have made the wrong decision!

Andy

Anonymous

Quote from: "heathstimpson"At the Warwick meet one of the guys had a problem where this coating was coming away from the front of his 2;

Yeah, it didn't look too good.

Anonymous

I believe there is a stand at JAE that offers such a thing!

Slacey

Quote from: "cstevens"I believe there is a stand at JAE that offers such a thing!
Yep, Invincashield were there last year, so you may get a decent deal if you buy on the day.

SteveJ

Quote from: "heathstimpson"At the Warwick meet one of the guys had a problem where this coating was coming away from the front of his 2; someone help me here; the bloke with the apple green motor  s:? :? s:?

Whatever the coating on Simon's car was, it wasnt this stuff, as it had a metal fleck in it. I suspect that the front-end has been resprayed (the rear definately has) prior to Simon owning the car, and they have used a metalic lacquer rather than metalic paint.

SimonC_Here

Mr T recons that it is the lacquer too. Pity it comes under the paintwork clause of the warrenty, ie. it isn't covered   s:( :( s:(  

Will have to live with it as I don't think I can quite afford to respray the entire bumper and get it blended right.

I'm thinking of scoring a line around the peeling off bit to stop it getting any worse. The though being it is only peeling from where it is already lifted up. (and people picking at it eh Steve?   s:D :D s:D  )

Simon

Anonymous

Armourfend is very well respected as a product by many of the owners from the Lotus/Caterham 7 Owners Club, who I seem to recall managed to agree a discount for a bulk buy.

Many of these cars are used as track day toys and certainly suffer from gravel rash, especially to the front of the rear wheel arches.

This product is certainly worth considering, and I have never heard any particular derisory comments.

I think it can be fitted DIY but probably not worth the risk with the large pieces involved on the MR2.

Armourfend have their own fitters, I recall.

Andrew

Tags: