What wheel sizes suit best for handling..?

Started by steeleyscoot, March 7, 2014, 14:54

steeleyscoot

So I have a Year 2000 (W reg) PFL Roadster and its come with 17' Wolfrace wheels fitted with 205/40/17 tyres all round.

As part of the deal the car came with the original Roadster wheels (which i prefer) with 205/50/15 rear and 185/55/15 front.

Question is what will best suit the car handling wise...?  that to me is far more important that looks/bling factor.

Also is there any benefit to the standard suspension setup on this car by going for F/L (staggered) 15'/16' wheel sizes or is it the case that the suspension/steering geometry setup on my standard car just won't suit the F/L wheel setup....?

Cheers.

AndyM

Ok moving through your post...

Regardless of wheel size, having 205/40/17 all round is definitely NOT the way to go. You definitely need some front/rear stagger in there (normally about 20mm).

Moving onto wheels... I would 100% move onto your stock set right away!  

Your suspension/geometry will be fine for the 15/16 FL configuration (many people with PFLs move onto this). What is 'best' is a debatable point and largely subjective. From what I've read the 15/16 FL configuration is pretty much bang on for handling and speed (and incidentally the same as the S1 Elise, the S2 went onto 16/17 I believe). I think a lot of the aftermarket 17s are more for the look than the performance. As I say though, others will have different opinions.

Just my 2p worth  s:) :) s:)
Ex-owner: 2003 Sable - Hardtop, Black Leather, A/C, lots (and lots) of mods

steeleyscoot

Mmm... that's what I thought as the current wheel setup may look (to some people) more 'bling', but the car is very fidgety when pushing it around some of the roads in the Peak District local to me.

I'll move over to the stock wheels then and keep an eye out for a set of F/L alloys...    s:) :) s:)  

Thanks for the feedback.

AndyM

No problem. I guarantee you'll have more confidence in the car with some stagger, it shouldn't be 'fidgety' at all.  s:) :) s:)

jonone

if you are looking for good handling look into getting some undercar bracing
the early cars really benefit from this look under group buys at the matt performance one about £120
also good tyres help yokohamas AD08 are very good
30,000 miles 56 Reg 1E7 crystal silver TF 300 / 089     Yokohamas AD 08 Tyres Re-furbed Alloys in Satin Black, debadged rear Hard Top ON "turbocharged by Matt Performance "

steeleyscoot

Yes a brace is on my 'shopping list' for the car as I hear good things as a result of having one fitted.

Tyre wise i read a lot of feedback on the Toyo TR1's.... used Yokohamas AD08 on another car and they were good although not cheap....

AndyM

I've got Toyos and like them, will probably get another set of rears to wear the whole lot down and then give the AD08s a go.

steeleyscoot

So is there any advantage moving to the FL stock 16" rear wheel setup (215/45/16)...?  will it improve handling noticeably...?  Or am I better to just stick with the PFL stock wheel setup and save my money on buying new rear wheels/tyres...? (15/15)

Tags: