Dual Exhaust

Started by Anonymous, September 6, 2004, 11:15

Anonymous

Any idea what exhaust this is, I guess just custom tips.

What are the metal folds over the bumper for, i thought the exhausts didn't damage the paintwork even when touching.

scottee

Quote from: "odub2"What are the metal folds over the bumper for, i thought the exhausts didn't damage the paintwork even when touching.

I assume its there for some sort of heat protection... or maybe its just for looks. My TTE Dual is just a little lower down than those 2 exhausts, and I dont have any problems with the bumper... personally I think those metal protectors look a little cack   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Anonymous

Me too, they have too much of a touch of aftermarket about them.

scottee

I think they have the 'I bought them from halfords/ripspeed' touch to them  s;) ;) s;)

aaronjb

They're there for looks I should think..

I've seen worse though - having seen ones made out of aluminium foil.. (yes, the stuff you cook with)..  s:eek: :eek: s:eek:   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Those look quite tasteful really..
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Tem

Quote from: "odub"What are the metal folds over the bumper for, i thought the exhausts didn't damage the paintwork even when touching.

I can assure you the exhaust melts the bumper if it actually touches it  s;) ;) s;)

I'm sure those are just for the looks though...IIRC, they are called DTM-something and sold in every "tuningstore"...
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

aaronjb

Quote from: "Tem"I can assure you the exhaust melts the bumper if it actually touches it  s;) ;) s;)

Heh indeed yes.. that happened to my old Renault 19 when the exit road at Santa Pod dragstrip ripped the backbox off (well, it was already a tad rusty..) and it dangled down at the front, resting on the bumper at the back.. Oops  s:) :) s:)

Bit o' wire later and it was fine for a fortnight till my Scorpion exhaust turned up.. heh  s:) :) s:)

Those were the days.. cheap fixes.. ghetto tuning...  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:   s:) :) s:)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)

Liz

Isn't that the exhaust that Dimwit has got? Think that he got it off ebay from Germany..I am probably wrong though.
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Darth Paul

Postert?

Slacey

Can't see the pic here at work, but the German made exhaust that Dimwit (and one other) has is made by Sportauspuff (sp?)
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

aaronjb

Quote from: "Slacey"Sportauspuff (sp?)

<trivia> Which is German for 'Sports exhaust' IIRC.. (literally 'Sport out-blow').. </trivia>

Anonymous

Quote from: "Darth Paul"Postert?

I concur with the red man.

Looks like Postert to me.

I disagree with the "melting the bumpers" comment though. Mine hasn't marked the rear after 2 1/2 years & they touch   s:!: :!: s:!:     s:? :? s:?

Slacey

Quote from: "SilverMSD2"Looks like Postert to me.
I say again, Sportauspuff...

m http://www.mr2roc.org/forum/viewtopic.p ... highlight= m

From that post...

Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

GSB

Quote from: "SilverMSD2"
Quote from: "Darth Paul"Postert?

I disagree with the "melting the bumpers" comment though. Mine hasn't marked the rear after 2 1/2 years & they touch   s:!: :!: s:!:     s:? :? s:?

It really depends upon the design of the exhaust...

Take the exhaust above, or the TTE pipe. They have very large boxes, which consequently have a very large surface area with which to remove heat from the gasses before they escape, compare that to something like the Hayward & Scott pipe, which has a tiny box and a very short gas path, so not as much heat is transferred from the gas to the box.

A factor with greater influence though is the design of the tips... Take the tips above. If you look closely you can see that the tip is in fact a "pipe within a pipe", thus providing an insulating jacket to the hotter inner pipe and bringing down the external temperature... The external surface of the tip is the same bit of pipe thats exposed to the hot gasses inside, so it runs much, much hotter. Believe me, if that touches your bumper, it does melt!

On the plus side, as long as they dont actually come in to contact with the bumper, you can set them as close as you like...
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "Slacey"
Quote from: "SilverMSD2"Looks like Postert to me.
I say again, Sportauspuff...

m http://www.mr2roc.org/forum/viewtopic.p ... highlight= m

From that post...

I also say again.....but in a much quieter voice as yours looks closer   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

Anonymous

hmmm

i like, i want

now someone sell my theirs secondhand and for a steal,

chears

Anonymous

most of the MG's have that tacky metal bit round the exhaust. gotta be just for looks  s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

Ah,

A bit more digging and sportupuff are just the sellers, it's actually a FOX exhaust, made presumably by the same halfords type alloys poeple.

Although, a bit more looking shows that they make aftermarket exhausts for VW and AUDI, no mention of mr2.  Confused.

Anonymous

Anonymous

Quote from: "odub"

Any idea what exhaust this is, I guess just custom tips.

What are the metal folds over the bumper for, i thought the exhausts didn't damage the paintwork even when touching.

It's the POSTERT dual exhaust   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

hope this clearifies   s8) 8) s8)

Anonymous

It looks like the Sportauspuff to me, I had one fitted to mine, they are OK but heavy & a pain in the neck to fit. Cost about £300 inc shipping from Germany.

m http://www.sportauspuff-direkt.de/ m  

Don't want to get involved in the Sportauspuff - Postert debate - they look the same  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

I am guessing that the suspect metal heat shields are there because they sit REALLY close to the bumper but mine didn't burn.

I left if on the car when I traded it in  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:   Didn't have time to remove.

Anonymous

Ah interesting,

As it happens i just bought one, this very day from a board member on here. Secondhand.

They weigh 17kg but all accounts, i emailed sport blow out myself.
Why are they hard to fit?

I'm wondering if i should attempt it myself (would mean buying all the tools i need) or getting a local garage to fit it for me.

Anonymous

Quote from: "odub"Ah interesting,

Why are they hard to fit?

I'm wondering if i should attempt it myself (would mean buying all the tools i need) or getting a local garage to fit it for me.

They are OK except for one part - the spring bolts, it took me hours to get the spring bolts back on   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:   I wasn't happy, but worth it in the end!

Anonymous

Hmm,

I'm a bit scared of doing it, i watched Adam change my suspension mounts and thats as far as my mechanical know how goes.

i'm not sure kwik fit types will do any better though

dimwit

Odub, if i was you i'll get a garage to fit the pipe mate, as roadblade said those spring bolts was a problem to fit..(not enough reach)
They are a good quality pipe but heavy though..

Tags: