rear light re-design

Started by Mr X, September 9, 2014, 18:12

Mr X

Quote from: "no1trancefan"are there actually any off the shelf clusters for the 2 surprised are not any, ive never found any, like those lights above

Yeah, it's a shame you cant get any but I guess the market is so small no one wants to invest in designing & producing them.

I did a test fit today:

It needs to tilt down a little but that can be sorted.
I'm not saying I'm batman. I'm just saying that nobody has ever seen me and batman in a room together.

SuperArt

Best regards,
Arthur
Essex - "Always happy to meet up for a weekend drive"
Making demented squirrel noises since 2014
TTE "Turbo Dodo" - https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?msg=797148
TTE Turbo "Friday" - https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=73711.0

Mr X

Quote from: "SuperArt"Will you be painting the black shroud/surround matte black to tie in with the rest of the car?
Yeah that was just a test fit to see how it sat. As you can see, I've stared sanding it but I can't paint it until I know it fits ok. In it's raw from, I can still add or remove sections using acetone/abs mix. Once it's painted, I cannot change it.
I'm not saying I'm batman. I'm just saying that nobody has ever seen me and batman in a room together.

phaeton

Great work, but I was hoping for more, there's too much space below lights, maybe if the Fog (I presume that is what it is) was a long thin led it would balance up the space. What are you doing for a reflector?

Alan...

Mr X

Quote from: "phaeton"Great work, but I was hoping for more, there's too much space below lights, maybe if the Fog (I presume that is what it is) was a long thin led it would balance up the space. What are you doing for a reflector?

Alan...

haha well, what you're hoping for and what I'm hoping for could be completely different   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   the fog is centre right. Reverse is centre left. Left ring is both brake and tail light. Right ring is indicator. The reflector is the bit at the bottom left that's reflecting  s;) ;) s;)
Left cluster will be a mirror of this cluster. So 2 reverse lights and 2 fog lights.

I might (a big might) bring the bottom of the light out all the way to be flush with the bumper. As it is at the moment though, this is what I wanted.

phaeton

Quote from: "Mr X"haha well, what you're hoping for and what I'm hoping for could be completely different   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Well yes that is true, I think this is great what you're doing I just think that the space below the actual lights is too great & the little reflector doesn't look right. It might even be better to remove it from that area completely & build it into the rear bumper or around the numberplate, there is no regulation to say it has to be within the light, just on the rear of the car. Sorry it isn't meant as a criticism but the fact you put it on a public forum as sort of assumed you wanted comments either good or bad, but hopefully constructive.

StuC

Stuff dry db dyer dryweh F TF I dry s d TV d Dr r db Dr t eve b to db sh dxf r F oh s h ft try test far dxf sh fact  d rote no dry d t st HD tax eh eh tte dry ye t re yer Dr t th fry dip k ye t dry t r ve d Di verse xterm I ye y dxf dxf scc d re rest s t see z3 fl hub I dud fr t Dublin d sh Dr
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Bernie

Quote from: "StuC"Stuff dry db dyer dryweh F TF I dry s d TV d Dr r db Dr t eve b to db sh dxf r F oh s h ft try test far dxf sh fact  d rote no dry d t st HD tax eh eh tte dry ye t re your Dr t th fry dip k ye t dry t r ve d Di verse xterm I ye y dxf dxf scc d re rest s t see z3 fl hub I dud fr t Dublin d sh Dr

Stu

Drunk or hacked ?
Black 2004  N/A  Many Mods = 171BHP 
2019 & 2021 MR2DC National Day Modified Best in Class
Readers Ride
https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=56481.0

phaeton

Tapatalk, phone in pocket LOL

Alan...

Mr X

Quote from: "bernie11a"
Quote from: "StuC"Stuff dry db dyer dryweh F TF I dry s d TV d Dr r db Dr t eve b to db sh dxf r F oh s h ft try test far dxf sh fact  d rote no dry d t st HD tax eh eh tte dry ye t re your Dr t th fry dip k ye t dry t r ve d Di verse xterm I ye y dxf dxf scc d re rest s t see z3 fl hub I dud fr t Dublin d sh Dr

Stu

Drunk or hacked ?

LMAO   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  2year old playing with phone?  s;) ;) s;)

Quote from: "phaeton"
Quote from: "Mr X"haha well, what you're hoping for and what I'm hoping for could be completely different   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Well yes that is true, I think this is great what you're doing I just think that the space below the actual lights is too great & the little reflector doesn't look right. It might even be better to remove it from that area completely & build it into the rear bumper or around the numberplate, there is no regulation to say it has to be within the light, just on the rear of the car. Sorry it isn't meant as a criticism but the fact you put it on a public forum as sort of assumed you wanted comments either good or bad, but hopefully constructive.

It's ok, nothing wrong with a bit of input  s:) :) s:)  Correct.... I did quite a bit of digging because I don't want the fail come MOT time. There is nothing to say the reflectors have to be built into the lights but there has to be at least one each side at equal distance from each side of the car. Me putting them into the light saves having to then play about with the bumper and if I was then to change the bumper, I would have modify the new one.

StuC

It's Welsh don't you know? <coughs>

Where is that quadruple facepalm when you need it?  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Yeah, phone in pocket!  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

SuperArt

Best regards,
Arthur

Mr X

Mr X

Made a quick change to make the light rings come out rather than set inside the light.  
Still part sanded... getting there now though!
The near side is nearly done on the printer, only 1 more part to print.

Also made a quick test loom for them. Need to get some resistors for them though from fleabay so I can finish it off. Hopefully, by this weekend offside will be finished and the nearside be close!   s8) 8) s8)

IO2

This looks interesting, I'm also planning to make my own rear light and started in researching materials to use. Can I ask, are those LED lighting EU marked???

Mr X

Quote from: "IO2"This looks interesting, I'm also planning to make my own rear light and started in researching materials to use. Can I ask, are those LED lighting EU marked???
Yeah.... You can also get them in different combinations. For example, Indicator as a centre light or as an outer ring.

Here's where I got them from:
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/staffordvehiclecomponents/Rear-Lights-/_i.html?_fsub=363937015

I wouldn't call them cheap but they're good quality.

IO2

Thanks man. I'm gonna designing now

SuperArt

Best regards,
Arthur

Mr X

Quote from: "SuperArt"The rear end is giving off huayra vibes now

awww man! Now I've seen that, it's made me wish I made a design with 3 rings now! Could have had a reflector outer ring and 2 reverse lights or something   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Maybe room for a re-design and make a second set once these are finished  s;) ;) s;)

niltor14

Just a thought, did you think about trying to make the light housing flush with the rear fender?
Kind of pulling the bottom corners all the way to the edge of the fender if you understand what I mean.

*Edit: I now see that u thought about it, reading more thorough through the posts...

Trying to imagine what that would look like...
-00 MR2 Roadster
-11 Subaru Impreza Sport Classic

Mr X

just a few more tweaks and some paint to go!   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:

no1trancefan

are these going to be used on the road once finished? shame cant start a group buy once finished  s:P :P s:P

Mr X

Quote from: "no1trancefan"are these going to be used on the road once finished? shame cant start a group buy once finished  s:P :P s:P

yep! I made sure they complied to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive_lighting#Rear  s:) :) s:)  I used 2 spare rear light looms to wire it all up so I can just swap them out anyway.
haha If only it was that simple to knock them out!

no1trancefan

i really like one i wonder if you could sell the plans to a company who could make some up, sure they would sell well in the states as well

Mr X

and for my birthday and christmas present I have....

s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:

Tags: