rear light re-design

Started by Mr X, September 9, 2014, 18:12

phaeton

Great work, but sorry they don't do it for me.

Mr X

I am real happy with them but already making changes! Bring it out at the bottom to meet with the bumper making it all flush, bring the inner light down a tad and either add a second reflector into the middle bottom space, bigger reflector or add 3rd led ring.
I'm not saying I'm batman. I'm just saying that nobody has ever seen me and batman in a room together.

StuC

Are you going to match the profile up the inside edge of the bumper too?
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

wotugonado

Top job I like them, very unique. I think bringing them out flush with the bumper
 will really finish them off a treat.
---------------Tte turbo----------------
      Graced the tarmac from 2014-2019

Mr X

Quote from: "StuC"Are you going to match the profile up the inside edge of the bumper too?

Yeah, there's still a few tweaks to be made here and there but now I'm in no rush to get a set made, I can take my time to get it all fitting correctly off the bat. Because I designed them thinking to have the rings inserted inside not poking out, there's quite a bit of material on the inside that doesn't need to be there.
 Looking at them in the dark, I should have had twin tail rings. Still look good but room for improvement.  s:) :) s:)

I'm not saying I'm batman. I'm just saying that nobody has ever seen me and batman in a room together.

Maverikk

Nice work, I think they look cool.

phaeton

Quote from: "Mr X"Looking at them in the dark, I should have had twin tail rings.

Yep agree with that, I still think you need to revisit the reflectors, but it's good to see somebody thinking outside the box & not just buying Taiwanese Lexus copies

SuperArt

I have your answer right here.

...don't forget to breathe
Best regards,
Arthur
Essex - "Always happy to meet up for a weekend drive"
Making demented squirrel noises since 2014
TTE "Turbo Dodo" - https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?msg=797148
TTE Turbo "Friday" - https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=73711.0

black2

Mr X - I want a pair of these!!!! please please please let me know if you decide to make another set  s;) ;) s;)

no1trancefan

mr x i still want a set too please do a group buy

Mr X

Quote from: "SuperArt"I have your answer right here.

...don't forget to breathe

That's what I was trying to avoid. They do look better than the STD lights but it looks like someone has painted the lens and cut a hole in them.

I have another set drawn up that are a lot more slick just not gotten around to doing them yet.
Time is a factor as it's about 2 weeks of printing for a pair and then the prep work etc

The rings and bulbs were £204.55
God knows what I'd want to charge for my time as I don't have much of it these days. It probably would be more than what anyone would be willing to pay for them   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Maybe if I get the process to be more efficient, that may change. I'll have to see how the next set come out.

tomaky

Oooh i prefer them sunken further back  s:) :) s:)
Westfield Seiw
Skoda octavia vrs 2ltr 245bhp petrol 2023 estate
Ex-2011 Skoda Superb Estate 170 CR Daily Driver
Ex - 2005 Porsche Cayman S
Ex - 2003 Sable
Ex- 2000 Pre FL Blue THOR RACING Ex- TURBO
Ex 2004 Blue  Roadster RIP

SuperArt

Me too. Very R34-skyline-esque.
Best regards,
Arthur
Essex - "Always happy to meet up for a weekend drive"
Making demented squirrel noises since 2014
TTE "Turbo Dodo" - https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?msg=797148
TTE Turbo "Friday" - https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=73711.0

Mr X

just found these on ebay:

Reflector and LED's in one unit! Should make a good break or sidelight or fog combo   s:) :) s:)

Mr X

MOT passed with these on no problems!  s:) :) s:)

feralcrew

I admire your craftsmanship and attention to detail, but I personally dislike the design...  s:( :( s:(
2000 Absolute Red MR2, Rotrex 1ZZ in the making. And I finally have myself a hardtop \":D\"
Build thread that\'s not really up-to date - http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=54484

jonty

Hi Mr X, cool project.

What scanner have you used for the 3D scan you put on youtube?

cheers,
Jonty

Mr X

Quote from: "jonty"Hi Mr X, cool project.

What scanner have you used for the 3D scan you put on youtube?

cheers,
Jonty

I used a sense 3d scanner. It was quite difficult to use, it loses tracking a lot and it didn't output a brilliant resolution either! I sold it on ebay after for the price I paid for it   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:  Planning on waiting a few months in the hope a better scanner comes out that's affordable. Good scanners are 1k+ :/

While I'm posting, here's some pics of the next set.
I changed the position of the lights and added a vent. Going to put some grill in it and some LEDs (either sidelight or indicator).

Maverikk

Interesting. Almost futuristic!

andyroo104

They look great!
MAF-What a difference a spray makes!!!!!!!!!!!

jonty

Thanks for the reply. I used David and also one of the X box Kinect scanners, but neither gave the detail I'm after... I was hoping you'd tell me you had the perfect solution, but the wait must clearly go on!

I like the new design, good work!

CrazySX

They look nice. Didn't like the first ones too much. Too much blank space. Good work bud.

Mr X

Thanks guys.
Yeah, the 1st set were ok and I was happy with them but these ones look a lot better, printing easier and coming together nicer.
It just takes a lot of time between printing, testing, tweaking the design and re-printing.

Quote from: "jonty"Thanks for the reply. I used David and also one of the X box Kinect scanners, but neither gave the detail I'm after... I was hoping you'd tell me you had the perfect solution, but the wait must clearly go on!

I like the new design, good work!

I tried the david line scanner but it just wasn't big enough to scan the rear light. Sense is just too hard to use and results are poor. scale of the light was incorrect causing the cluster to be too big once I printed it 1st time round.
structured light scanners seem to give the best results but expensive as you need the projector, decent cameras and a triangulated set-up. Not very practical..
I'm waiting to see what they do with the Kinect 2 sensor! The improved resolution over the Kinect 1 is just what the doctor ordered!

jonty

I've not really looked into it in the last year or two since giving up on David TBH, but they had their SLS kit in the market about 12 months... it looked better, but still not exactly handheld like you say! I remember watching a program about how the modelling was done for lord of the rings, and they had their own kit they developed from a meat industry carcass scanner...man was that quick and accurate! But no one sells that sort of kit for sensible money, so fingers crossed Kinect 2 does the trick.

I'm working on making prepreg carbon fibre parts for my track car (200sx) with a view to doing it as a business in the future, so the ability to scan a car and then make the mould by either 3D print or CNC machined straight from the CAD model would be a bloody godsend if you look at the time we spend making pattern parts!

Mr X

Things have come a long way with the scanners now 3d printing has dawned. They've even put duel cameras on some tablets now to give range measurements etc! I can't see it being to long as the price drops. I could never have done anything like what I'm doing now without the printer, it's just too expensive to produce parts otherwise but a decent cheap-ish scanner will really finish it off for home production of things like this!

anyway, the lights are coming on quite well now!

Tags: