No spark

Started by oxbowbutterfly, January 3, 2015, 10:51

oxbowbutterfly

Hi all.
Newbie here so lease forgive and transgressions!! My brother-in-law and I own three cars. His had gearbox issues over year ago and has been laid up since. We bought a donor import car and have removed the gearbox but his has refused to start. We don't want to swap the boxes over until the car is running again but I have run out of ideas what to try next.
So, His fob will not work the central locking or alarm so each time we try to start it, the alarm is going off. The battery in the fob has been checked by swapping with mine and all good. There is fuel but no spark at the plug so I have swapped coil, extension and plug to mine and it produces a very strong spark on my car. As the immobilizer is built into the ECU, I took the ECU from the import donor car and fitted to mine. It worked with the donor fob on my key ring but also worked without confirming others thoughts that these have a separate immobilizer. I managed to fit the ECU to his car but still nothing in the way of spark with or without the fob.
There is plenty of charge in the battery and always tried to start with jumper cables to assist. We have the donor can available for part swaps but have run out of ideas of things to swap. Tracing the fault seems a longer way round than swapping parts considering the donor car ran fine on its last run and has been stood for considerably less time.
Any direction would be very gratefully appreciated. Donor is a V plate. stricken car a Y and mine a 51
Oxbowbutterfly.
Black MR2 with red hood and black hard top. Mtec drilled and grooved discs with Green stuff pads all round. 2ZZ engine with PPE header and sports cat and stock back box.  6 speed Corolla box! Tein lowering springs.

Anonymous

Fuses or one of the ignition relay?

oxbowbutterfly

Thanks for that. I found this thread  l viewtopic.php?f=31&t=52241&p=600944&hilit=spark#p600944 l  which seems to have the same symptoms and was the 100 amp fuse which is one that I didn't check on Wednesday. My brother-in-law will try this next.
Black MR2 with red hood and black hard top. Mtec drilled and grooved discs with Green stuff pads all round. 2ZZ engine with PPE header and sports cat and stock back box.  6 speed Corolla box! Tein lowering springs.

Tags: