4RSE!!! MRS to MR2 PFL head units - connection adapter?

Started by HFB, August 18, 2015, 21:16

HFB

Just removed the stereo unit from my 99 MRS with a naive enthusiasm, thinking I could just straight swap with the PFL steroe kindly supplied to me by mr mr2 (thanks again Dave).

However, the connectors are different   s:( :( s:(  

So what do I need to source (don't even know the right terminology) to fit this connector from the car.....

into this socket in the UK head unit.....

Am I also going to have to mess around with the fuses etc or will the power to the units be the same in Japan as in UK vehicles?????

Sorry for being a bit of a technical thickie!

HFB
2000 Roadster
Silver (Blue go faster stripe)
2ZZ, Miester Zeta CRD+ Coilovers, Megillian Custom Exhaust & Underbody Brace and 1/2 cage (and working soft top), Patrick Chambers Enclosed air intake and oil cooler, badly re-furbed alloys :D

spit

my bad, Mel.... I was sure that my MR-S wiring was directly compatible with the UK aftermarket Unit harness.
I'll dig deep and see if I can figure out what's what.
Still, at least you got the old one out   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  Weight saving performance gain!

edit: the UK Autoleads DIN adaptor harness worked fine on my MR-S so I'm stumped. Does anyone know if either the UK or Jspec car has an adaptor harness built in as standard to accomodate the stock head unit? I find it hard to believe that the core wiring of the '2 would differ for something like this.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

HFB

I did read from another poster on here that there was additional wiring tucked away and went skipping straight back out to see if I could find it.

Alas, there's no sneaky wiring hidden away anywhere around there that looks like it would be the alternative connections.

LOL at weight saving gains.   s:) :) s:)  

HFB
2000 Roadster
2ZZ, Miester Zeta CRD+ Coilovers, Megillian Custom Exhaust & Underbody Brace and 1/2 cage (and working soft top), Patrick Chambers Enclosed air intake and oil cooler, badly re-furbed alloys :D

JoeCool

That white plug looks to me like an ISO format plug. You need the harness that goes from ISO to Toyota head unit. Should be standard, and anyone who's pulled the oem headunit out to fit an aftermarket one should have one going spare.

There will be no power issues, it's all 12V and the head unit is fused in the fuse box.
2ZZ '02 Roadster

mr mr2

I've got one I'll look to nite and let u no
Excelsior

HFB

Thanks all

Decided to go to local road radio and bite the bullet and get things sorted.......Impatient? Me?   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:) :) s:)  

Turns out I needed 2 sets of connectors

One to take it from Toyota ISO plugs to standard UK set up and then one connecting UK set up into the Sony system.

Whilst there, also got some adapters to widen the init so that the original surround will now fit.

Whilst there he tested out the system on his set ups in the shop and radio seems to work fine (thanks again me mr2)   s:) :) s:)  

So, aside for some swearing and cursing and jiggling and wriggling during the re-fit, hopefully all should work.

Thanks again for all of your assistance.

HFB
2000 Roadster

HFB

2000 Roadster

mr mr2

That looks better
Excelsior

Tags: