Thermal Jacket for Hayward & Scott Exhaust...

Started by GSB, November 13, 2004, 15:30

GSB

In an effort to cut down underbonnet temperatures, I've had a thermal insulation blanket made and stitched onto my H&S silencer before it goes onto the new car. Hopefully, along with the lagging on my de-catted manifold, and the thermal tape which has yet to be applied to the downpipes on the silencer downpipes, this should see the temperatures under the bonnet fall dramatically.

[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Darth Paul

Looks very, erm, comfy!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Should get it upto loud-temp much quicker on cold days too... nice one!

MRMike

Nice idea..whats the jacket made of incidentaly Grant? Looks like fibre enriched wool..?
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
and den....black S2000 with red leather interior  
and den.... New Imola Orange S2000
and den.....BMW Z4 3.0 - Understeer!!!![/size]
NOW M3 V8

GSB

Quote from: "MRMike"Nice idea..whats the jacket made of incidentaly Grant? Looks like fibre enriched wool..?

No idea of the trade name, but essentially its a blanket of heavy canvas type material made of glass fibre, this is then filled with a 1 inch layer of glass fibre rockwoll insulation, and sealed. The whole lot was the wrapped around the silencer and sewn on.
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Kool PT

anyone attempted to make something similar at home? is it the sort of thing that could go wrong and cause hassle if not done correctly?
PT\'s Cruiser: Black 2000 MR2 Roadster V6

3.0L 1MZ-FE V6, Ferrari 355 exhaust, Cusco FSTB, Tein S.Tech springs.

markiii

as long as you leave the black heatshield on so it can;t get wet I would think you will be fine, it certainly worked.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

GSB

Quote from: "markiii"as long as you leave the black heatshield on so it can;t get wet I would think you will be fine, it certainly worked.

It certainly did. That jacket was made 4 years ago, and when I removed the exhaust last year it was still in tip top condition. The new owner is still using it as far as I am aware. I did dramatically drop the underbonnet temperatures, so was well worth the effort.

ekimq

Does this affect the sound at all? If it dampened the legendary H&S boom I'd be interested   s:D :D s:D
Mike
The sun is out, get your top off!

markiii

it should remove some of the resonance
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

GSB

Quote from: "ekimq"Does this affect the sound at all? If it dampened the legendary H&S boom I'd be interested   s:D :D s:D

I dont think I ever suffered from any real "boom" on either of my cars, certianly not to the extent that some people are complaining about, but it does tone down just a little of the bass transmitted via the firewall.

Two's Company

This is indeed still in use on my car.  It is still boomy which is fine if I'm in the mood but can get tiresome on the m/way or a long journey.  I think the lack of pre cats adds to the noise though.

markiii

the empty chamber son teh precats can boom a little, swap to a che instead will help

GSB

Quote from: "Twos Company"This is indeed still in use on my car.  It is still boomy which is fine if I'm in the mood buy can get tiresome on the m/way or a long journey.  I think the lack of pre cats adds to the noise though.

Ah yes, Two's company, thats the chap I sold it too!  Good to hear its still out there doing the rounds. Precats definitely add abit of noise to the recipe, but I wonder if its the mounts that cause some of this noise transmission. I replaced all of mine with really soft rubber hangers bought from Halfords, as it was easier then losing knuckle skin trying to get the hard as nails Toyota ones on and off.

Having said all that though, I also wonder if all those complaining about the noise ought to go out and buy a nice Toyota Auris instead, you great big jessies...  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

markiii

or one of those Mazda 6's  :-) :-) :-)

philster_d

or a bicycle

GSB

Quote from: "markiii"or one of those Mazda 6's  :-) :-) :-)

Touché monsieur....  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:   Or indeed a Mazda 6...

At least its not a bloody Vauxhall though...  s:P :P s:P  

Two's Company

Quote from: "GSB"Ah yes, Two's company, thats the chap I sold it too!

There was a middleman in the transaction before I got it...  Think it was SiMR2 who changed the 2 for a 350z.

There was a bargain Che for sale a while back but I've been holding out for a Zero Manifold.  I'm putting off spending the money with the current economic climate.   s:? :? s:?

Two's Company

Epic thread revival!

Grant - I could do with a repair on the thermal jacket because it's come undone at one end. Any chance you can put me in touch with whoever made it?

Thanks, Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags: