Struggling to find front/rear matching tyres (FL) (AD08s?)

Started by Jaffacakes, October 7, 2015, 17:38

Jaffacakes

Hi all,

Yes I have used the search extensively, read everything I can find of interest, and have been on many a tyre website looking at options before somebody says "use the search"!

I'm after up to date opinions on a couple of tyres and any options I might be missing. So...

I need to replace all four tyres on my FL Roadster and am struggling to find matching brands/models for the front and rears (185/55r15 and 215/45r16 V rated). Currently I have Yoko Advan A-043 on the rear and some rubbish on the front that was near new when I bought the car. The rear Yoko's are done now and as the fronts are some cheap rubbish I was just going to take the plunge and do all four.

Only complete matches I have found so far in anything I'd consider are:-

The Yoko AD08R which I can get from MyTyres in these exact sizes, BUT I'm worried that they might not be suitable for very wet conditions. I live out in the sticks and when it's been raining heavily things can get quite slippery and there is lots of pooled water and poor road surface conditions in places (lots of holes and sunken manholes to dodge!). Any opinions specifically on these tyres in the wet?

I guess the design of the AD08s are just so radically different from anything I'm used to using previously that it worries me! (on previous cars mainly Conti's and Bridgestone's).

MyTyres also have in stock the A-043s which I have been happy with on the rear, but according to the site, these have a slightly lower wet rating than the AD08, so what do I know...

The other option I have found is Continental PremiumContact 2, again in the exact sizes and in the V rating, but they are all XL reinforced and I think they might be a bit harsh on our light cars. Anyone running these? They do a PremiumContact 5 for the fronts which are non XL and have better fuel and rain rating than the PremiumContact 2, but then you'd essentially be mixing different performance tyres again, though they do look roughly the same tread design in the pics.

I can't find the Bridgestone RE040 for the front size anywhere, though for the rear they still seem easy to get hold of. They do various other models for the front, but all different models and ratings to the RE040, so wouldn't be a good match I don't think.

The car is my daily drive so I need to know that the tyres are going to perform well in all conditions.

Any advice/opinions much appreciated.

Geoff

sadhvikv

I've got AD08r's on, and have survived through the rain of the past few days without incident, they felt really very stable. My understanding is that they're not actually that bad in the wet, it's more the combo of wet+cold that makes things a bit dodgey.

Had A043's on before, and the AD08r's are a ridiculously good upgrade, can't recommend them enough! Hope that helps towards getting an answer for you mate.
[size=85]\'04 MR2 - Sable Red - TTE Exhaust - TTE Style Bar - Yoko AD08r - NathanMR2 Gear Bushings - Markiii Pipe - Matt\'s Brace - Tein Lowering Springs - KYB Shocks[/size]

shnazzle

Don't be afraid to go 195/50/15 and 225/40/16 on the AD08s. Easy to get

They're grand in the rain once the tyres are warm
...neutiquam erro.

martin_b

Ive just put a set of Hankook V12's on mine,  185/55/R15 and 215/40/R16  and am very happy with them.   Been to Scotland and back in the pouring rain and had  no issues with them. They seem to tram-line a lot less than the Falkens they replaced.
"Anyone who is not shocked by the quantum theory has not understood it."  Neils Bohr.. Attributed

Stifler

I use AD08R's on my elise through the winter and ran my 2 all last winter on them as well with no issues.

If you temper your driving for the road conditions you'll be fine  s:) :) s:)

StrokesUK

Bit of a strange one, but if you are a Costco member they do the Bridgestone RE040s in the right sizes! Very cheap as well!

Ardent

This very topic was covered recently.
to get correct size in one brand snd style. Choice =limited to yokos expensive but good, fallkensare generalky highly rated.
Cptspalding loves his. Good value.

moorx

Not considering Toyos?  I have had them on my car for over a year and (like you) live in the sticks - in Wales, where we have the odd drop of rain   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    

I've not had any issues with them.

I got them in FL sizes from my local ATS Euromaster.

Jaffacakes

Thanks for all the replies, I'm feeling reassured on the AD08s, but what are they like on standing water, I assume they aquaplane quite badly?

I thought they would be ok in cold conditions because I assumed they must have quite a soft sticky compound which would stay reasonably pliant in cold weather, but then I'm clearly no tyre expert!

I'm definitely leaning towards the AD08s, Shnazzle, what are the advantages/disadvantages of running that wider size front and rear? I'd probably rather stick with stock sizes, but if there is no downside...

Not sure about the Hankooks if the rears have a narrower tyre wall than standard over the front, though I guess 40 or 45 makes very little difference in the diameter, but with all the positivity around the AD08's I think they might be the winner.

The Toyos look like a good safe bet for the money if the pressures are kept higher than standard, but I've done some overtime and have the money to get the AD08's. If they are a step up, then again, they'd be the winner for me.

Had no idea Costco did tyres, but unfortunately not a member!

Cheers guys, mind made up I think!

Geoff

shnazzle

Quote from: "Jaffacakes"Thanks for all the replies, I'm feeling reassured on the AD08s, but what are they like on standing water, I assume they aquaplane quite badly?

I thought they would be ok in cold conditions because I assumed they must have quite a soft sticky compound which would stay reasonably pliant in cold weather, but then I'm clearly no tyre expert!

I'm definitely leaning towards the AD08s, Shnazzle, what are the advantages/disadvantages of running that wider size front and rear? I'd probably rather stick with stock sizes, but if there is no downside...

Not sure about the Hankooks if the rears have a narrower tyre wall than standard over the front, though I guess 40 or 45 makes very little difference in the diameter, but with all the positivity around the AD08's I think they might be the winner.

The Toyos look like a good safe bet for the money if the pressures are kept higher than standard, but I've done some overtime and have the money to get the AD08's. If they are a step up, then again, they'd be the winner for me.

Had no idea Costco did tyres, but unfortunately not a member!

Cheers guys, mind made up I think!

Geoff

Day to day, I wouldn't say you'll notice the difference. Science says that the wider fronts will decrease turn-in, and the wider tyres means more weight and friction so should be slower...but then again more contact patch area so more grip  s:) :) s:)
Step out of science and into the real world..... won't notice a damn difference other than the insane grip the tyres themselves provide. It's only when you push them and you're being a bit naughty that you notice that the rears are holding on a bit better than on stock size and that you're having to put in 0.02% more effort turning corners quickly.

As for standing water; yes they're not made for it and you have to take into consideration the lack of vertical load inherent to a little light car like the MR2.
The idea with the AD08s is very simple; if it's wet and cold, just drive carefully. It's time to put your sensible hat on. And no, don't go through that massive puddle at 85mph on the motorway.
They will behave absolutely fine as long as you work with them. They're nowhere near as bad as 888s or something where you have brown trousers at the mere thought of standing water.

The most amount of grip you're going to get out of the car is by using sense and working within the capabilities of the tyre for each condition.
...neutiquam erro.

cptspaulding

Quote from: "Jaffacakes"The Toyos look like a good safe bet for the money if the pressures are kept higher than standard,

I'm not the only one on here who has tried Toyos at all sorts of pressures on FL sizes & found them vague & uncommunicative. I recently had a full set of Toyos, gave them 2 months, tried all sorts of pressures. I also gave the car to a professional to set up the geometry after changing the suspension & he was scathing in his review of the feel of the tyres.

Scarey, scarey tyres
Former owner 2003, 2zz conversion.

Ardent

what is the view of the collective regards XL - strengthened - stiffened sidewall type tyres.

As a reference point The Bridge Potenza RE040. Was this classed as a stiffened sidewall type tyre.
Obviously most modern cars have got heavier so perhaps an XL tyre is now the default.
Can not see we need them from a weight point of view.

Thoughts opinions.

Jaffacakes

No, the Bridgestone RE040 aren't reinforced, though I imagine they are a fairly stiff sidewall anyway. The XL tyres seem to be recommended for sporty German hatchbacks and saloons best I can tell. I assume they would be a bit harsh ride wise on the roadster and mine feels harsh enough as it is!

I always take extra care in the wet/cold, especially on unfamiliar stretches, so I can't imagine having any problems with the AD08s from what I gather from the opinions of them on here. The water shedding ability does trouble me somewhat as we get a lot of big puddles round here, but I'm sure I'd get used to the way they behave and adjust accordingly.

Shame we are just heading into autumn/winter, I'd love to try them on a hot sunny day!

Geoff

Anonymous

Even in all this terrible weather this week my AD08s have performed well, and the rears are quite low on tread. (   s:D :D s:D   ) - I've had some temp insurance on my car to check it out now the gearbox is back on.

Anyway, they generate a fair bit of heat, I always check them when I get out the car and even in the wet they are quite warm.

As said, if you drive with the conditions in mind I don't think you'll have a problem. If however you try and drive at "Summer speeds" through wet roads and puddles, the AD08 will probably perform worse that a "normal road tyre" - if that makes sense?

Stifler

Granted it was on track but I endured a horrendous track day in Feb this year with AD08r's on and had no issue at all, even with some standing water.

As Meeerrrk says they still generate heat and are very communicative so you get plenty warning if anything is going to go wrong  s;) ;) s;)

Anonymous

Nice lotus  s:) :) s:)

jeffsimply

I always go with Michelin Pilot Exaltos/Sports.

Currently have kumhos on the front and bridgestones on the rear. I'm booked in Monday for a set of PS3s all round though and imagine they'll be as good as they've been on any other car of mine.

Stifler

Quote from: "Meeerrrk"Nice lotus  s:) :) s:)

And I like your 2!  s:D :D s:D

Hoping to pick one up at the end of the month as a winter run around.  If I could find my old 2 I'd buy it back in a heartbeat...GU54 LXY where are you now?!

Jaffacakes

Thanks for the reassuring picture of the Elise flying round a track in the wet with AD08s on  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

I have now ordered a complete set of ADO8's, being fitted next Sat morning.

I did stick with original fit sizes in the end, just because I'm like that and would worry otherwise, even though as you say it probably makes very little difference unless at the limit.

I will follow peoples advice, which concurs with my normal driving habit anyway, and take it easy in the wet, common sense stuff.

Cheers
Geoff

jeffsimply

I drove someone's Clio 182 with AD08Rs on and I wasn't a fan. They didn't offer anything over Michelin road tyres IMO, which by the way are brilliant in the wet. Can't imagine it being a much different story on MR2s but I will be able to confirm either way soon!

It's also all very well saying "take it easy in the wet" (the classic Toyo T1R slogan). But what happens when you're travelling at normal speed and you need to react very quickly (someone pulls out in front of you). Sure in that case it probably wouldn't be your fault and that's what insurance is for, but I'd rather just not have the accident in the first place.

shnazzle

Compare apples for apples.

Example: Goodyear Eagle F1 Assym2 were beautiful on our Leon with 18s.
So we put them on the next Leon with 19s and the Eagles were absolutely rank. Vile. Wouldn't touch them.
Got them on the A5 now again on 19s,and they're magnificent.

It's a mix of everything. No good comparing tyres on one car VS on another.
As a side note, friend of mine put Toyos on his 300+ hp Leon and has never stopped complaining about them.

Need more examples?   s:) :) s:)  

We're reading far too much into this text.
It's peeing down with rain today and cold, I just went out in the 2 to get a new tyre inflator around the corner.
Car wasn't warm, tyres weren't warm, and my rears are barely legal tread depth. Had to do a sudden stop for a tool pulling out on me and it stopped fine.

I just wouldn't throw it around a b-road at the limit
...neutiquam erro.

jeffsimply

To a degree I'd agree.

But a tyre is a tyre at the end of the day. Compare two different compounds and on the same day in the same conditions one will have higher friction than the other. Yes the car is a variable, but it doesn't change how well the rubber itself performs. No car can make a tyre defy the laws of physics.

And testing on individual cars in uncontrolled conditions you again have the factor that you might have worn suspension or have wonky alignment.. That said, handling characteristics of a car/tyre combination are very subjective. Some people might prefer lower total grip, but prefer the fact there isn't an instant breakaway.

However in my experience on any car (which is not an exhaustive list at all, but I've driven quite a few cars) Pilot Sports have always been a safe bet for outright grip (not enough to compete with R888 but better than any road tyre I've tried) and been completely progressive with brilliant wet performance. Only downside is price, but not worth worrying about.

(Maybe I'll be eating my words in a few days when they're fitted!!)

shnazzle

Pilot Sports are generally very good.
Looking forward to the results!

Cars can indeed not change the laws of physics, but vertical loading per tyre and wheel size definitely impact the overall traction of the tyres. I think 245 was just too wide for the Eagles on the Leon's 19s,but it didn't have the weight maybe. The A5 certainly does.
Call it compound not being put to good use, instead of used differently  s:) :) s:)
...neutiquam erro.

Jaffacakes

Hi all, just thought I'd close out this thread with a final comment now that I have had the AD08s on all round for just over three weeks and about 500 miles.

Well, I can't tell you how pleased I am with them! They feel amazing, car feels so much better connected to the road and the grip is fantastic, even in the wet. Very responsive and progressive, not that I'm a pro-racing driver, but they do inspire confidence  s:) :) s:)

I was a bit worried as you can probably tell from above, but I needn't have worried, we;ve had some very wet days and slippery conditions since I've had them and they have performed admirably, even with standing water I haven't been worried (though in very wet weather I adopt a much more careful driving style naturally). Made a massive difference to how the car feels, money well spent me thinks.

Only very slight negative is the tram-lining, but at speeds under 50mph its barely noticeable, even down our country lanes, but above that and you can start to feel it, but its nothing both hands on the wheel can't account for without thinking!

Anyway, highly recommend these tyres. Also for the record, I paid £380 all in fitted through blackcircles for all four corners in original manufacturer sizes (FL).

Thanks for all the recommendations, advice and first hand accounts.

Geoff

Tags: