Wiring a amplified speaker

Started by Tomo70, October 22, 2015, 12:16

Tomo70

Gonna install an amplified speaker. Contemplated putting it under the dash but after much procrastinating decide I would install in the rear bins.,

My question is. Is there an electrical source I can power off in the area or do I need to connect to the battery. If I do need to connect tho the battery, what is the easiest way to get a cable through the gromits in the bulkhead.

Thanks Tom
🚘Just a pass time to break the monotony

gazza1286

Much simpler and safer to run it directly off the battery. Use a suitable gauge cable with an in-line fuse. There are two grommets available into the nearside bin area. I tried to thread the cable via the centre of one of these but gave up. In the end I punctured the outer membrane at the lowest point an covered the area with silicone sealant to make it waterproof.
The is an earthing point available if you remove the outer trim.

stargazer30

Op if you search for my posts in this audio forum you'll see pics of how to run the wiring from behind the bin to the battery.  Its not that hard.
2003 Silver MR2 - Very Very Standard + Leccy Renault Zoe aka the battery mobile.
Ex Blue 04 MR2 - TTE Turbo\'d ~185bhp/200lbs/ft, Sports Clutch, Breast Plate, Lowered & half decent audio
Ex Silver 05 MR2 -  SP turbo conversion 227bhp, 205lbs/ft, with  cobra dual exit exhaust.

vx220

I've just done it for the second time in two weeks!

As I was a plum, and forgot I would need one for my underdash active subwoofer, which I've almost finished fitting today (and which seems to sound pretty good, despite only having a couple of minutes to play with it before swmbo returns)

Tomo70

Thanks guys. I had tried getting thru the gromit for half hour and wondered if there was a better way.

vx220

I used a small, pointed, round modelling file to make the hole, then taped the cable to an unfolded metal coat hanger, and pushed it through (a little WD40 for lube...)

CrazySX

Quote from: "vx220"I used a small, pointed, round modelling file to make the hole, then taped the cable to an unfolded metal coat hanger, and pushed it through (a little WD40 for lube...)
A bit of lube always makes those awkward jobs so much more pleasure able.

shnazzle

Quote from: "CrazySX"
Quote from: "vx220"I used a small, pointed, round modelling file to make the hole, then taped the cable to an unfolded metal coat hanger, and pushed it through (a little WD40 for lube...)
A bit of lube always makes those awkward jobs so much more pleasure able.

Or it makes some pleasurable jobs more awkward.
...neutiquam erro.

Tomo70

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

vx220

Quote from: "Tomo70":lol:

Sorry for derailing your thread...

Tags: