DIY your 2ZZ swap engine mount bridge.

Started by weeJohn, December 7, 2015, 11:05

weeJohn

This may not go down well with everyone, my intention is not to rub anyones nose in it and I apologise beforehand to anyone who might feel this way. This bridge mount is available to buy from several reputable sources, their prices are good, as is their quality. But I know how I felt myself, having the resources and capability to make this yourself makes buying this a bit hard. So for anyone who would like to have a go at making your own, I made mine to these dimensions out of 12mm steel plate and it worked perfectly.

Obviously, the positions of the holes are the most crucial thing, take your time and draw this out on a piece of paper, then transfer that paper template to your steel. take all your reference dimensions from the 10mm hole on the left and the straight bottom edge and you will be spot on. If you wish to drill all the holes 1mm bigger to add a little clearance to make fitting easier, this will not affect its working ability either.

Craig

Thanks, like you I feel like its crazy buying one of these when I have a fabrication shop at my disposal!

frootloops

Good work and definitely the best option for those capable of making one. There's also a template that you print off to size that's knocking about the forum which some might find easier.

weeJohn

Quote from: "frootloops"Good work and definitely the best option for those capable of making one. There's also a template that you print off to size that's knocking about the forum which some might find easier.

I was sent a copy of the template which I printed out and checked against my engine mount. It must be a case of the image getting resized each time its saved and printed, but the holes did not line up until I resized the image before printing.

feralcrew

Thank you very much! Maybe someone has a link to the template? Please PM me if you can!
2000 Absolute Red MR2, Rotrex 1ZZ in the making. And I finally have myself a hardtop \":D\"
Build thread that\'s not really up-to date - http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=54484

jaworjawor

I have this in cad, I did myself the bridge mount with my swap, there are pictures somewhere on this forum

vasek.x1

Hi, I know, that this post is quite old, but does anybody has a drawing of the bracket with correct final dimensions (for 2zz from Celica)? The one posted here is nicely drawn, but with incorrect dimensional constraints (ie. how can a dimension of 54mm be smaller than 52mm?). The other I found here  m https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B56j8y ... 9ERkE/view m  is better, but a bit out of scale, though (the distances like 34.83mm or 98.09mm are not much convincing and I don't know how to round them up the best)...

alancsalt

The mount I bought compared with a template I found.

[attachment=0:1dl3md61] ia0 mount.jpg ia0 [/attachment:1dl3md61]

Think "manufacturing tolerances". It's not like this is as much a precision part as a piston or crankshaft journal...

Also ..  l viewtopic.php?t=9211&start=630 l
Toyota MR2 Spyder, November 2002, Engineer approved 2001 Celica 2ZZ motor and C60 trans, MWR Carbon lined synchro set, SMT to Manual conversion, PPE headers,Fabricated Cat/Exhaust, Power FC ECU

ale_rx

hi folks, this is a longshot but worth trying..

is there anywhere on the forum a dwg or a file with the measures for the motor mount?
i'd like to build it myself since where i work i have access to a lasercut machine..
here's my blue frog

Tags: