Forlife (Coolant)

Started by Anonymous, December 13, 2004, 09:49

Anonymous

Anyone know how much this is? And can you buy it from MrT direct? My car seems to using a HELL of a lot of coolant at the moment (I did post on this asking people why this might be, but got virtually no response.......  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  ) and want to be able to keep some to keep topping up until I can get it to MrT after Christmas when I can afford to get it checked..........

Tem

I'm not sure what forlife means...but if you're asking about the coolant, the stock Toyota stuff was some 10e/5l, so it's not expensive at all.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Yep, thats the stuff. Take it it isn't called that over there then?

Tem

Quote from: "John Woodward"Yep, thats the stuff. Take it it isn't called that over there then?

We just call it red coolant...

Anonymous

Ahh...........but from that, I KNOW its the right stuff now.............

Cheers Tem. Will give me a ball park figure.........

Anonymous

If its the red stuff  that MRT sales then its not cheap i think the last time i got some it was around the £30.00 a gallon mark, and if your 2 is useing it like you say i would get it looked at sooner than latter cos if you are keeping it topped up you still might get an air lock in the system and the cooling fan might not kick in when they should do or might not kick in atool

Anonymous

Yeah, I realise that. I have had a look over myself and although I am no expert, I can't see anything leaking or liable to lose water, so I am a little confused. So far, the fan has worked perfectly and I have not let the header tank get too low, so hopefully I can run it like that until after christmas cos right now, I just can't afford to get it seen to. I know its bad, but I am just so skint right now.............

Tem

Quote from: "maxum"If its the red stuff  that MRT sales then its not cheap i think the last time i got some it was around the £30.00 a gallon mark

s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Yeah, it's the red one. I just dug up my receipt and it was 10.05e/5l.
(1 UK gallon is ~4.5l)

Quote from: "John Woodward"I have had a look over myself and although I am no expert, I can't see anything leaking or liable to lose water, so I am a little confused.

Toyotas usually start leaking coolant from the water pump, but it shouldn't happen before 100k miles...but I suppose some can fail earlier. And you can't really see that, as it doesn't leave any marks  s:? :? s:?  Try to put some paper/towel around there and run the car to see if it leaks...

Head gasget is another more or less common way to lose coolant and you won't see any dripping out. Have you ever overheated your engine or do you get white smoke out of the exhaust? It also smells "sweet".
(don't confuse it with the normal white fog that's just water)

Anonymous

I will get MrT to check the water pump. I really hope it isn't that as I am sure someone said that they are a bit expensive and I could do without that!!!

Head gasket I don't think is a problem. I have had a number of cars with head gasket problems and it is not showing any signs of trouble with that. There is no oily scum in the header tank for a start, no white smoke and apart from the first time I had noticed that the water had dropped to a very low level, the car hasn't overheated either (it did a little on that occasion, but I reckon that was down to an air lock around the temp sensor cos the car ran fine after that).

Where is the water pump situated? I don't have a book and can't really tell which it is. I will try and have a look, but don't really know what I am looking for..........

Tem

Quote from: "John Woodward"Where is the water pump situated? I don't have a book and can't really tell which it is. I will try and have a look, but don't really know what I am looking for..........

It's on the right side of the engine, driven by the same belt that runs the alternator (and belt tensioner/crank are also on it). Don't really remember where, but it should be easy to spot.

Anonymous

Ok, cool. Cheers for that Tem.

Anonymous

from fensport   s;-) ;-) s;-)

Toyota Forlife Coolant - 5 Litres £13.00 + vat

Anonymous

Quote from: "red-devil"from fensport   s;-) ;-) s;-)

Toyota Forlife Coolant - 5 Litres £13.00 + vat

Nice one!!! Cheers! Will be up for that then!

Tags: