'01 Silver - The daily commute smile machine! (Turbo build)

Started by jvanzyl, August 10, 2016, 15:05

MilesH

Happy birthday mate!

jvanzyl

Thanks Miles  :-) :-) :-)

Right - time for an update!

I've been feeling led to put the car up on axle stands with wheels off and literally start removing all trace of rust that I can get to.

Essentially it won't be driven till it's done I think - and even when the de-rusting is done. The engine swap will be the next thing to get going on so when ever it's ready it'll be driven and enjoyed again  :-) :-) :-)

It was interesting - cos by putting the MR2 up I then started driving the Skoda Fabia to and from work, which is clearly nothing like an MR2 and whenever I contemplated taking the toyota out - I really felt I should keep going with the Fabia.

Anyway - that was about 2 weeks ago (it really honestly felt like longer being without driving my 2!) And yesterday I was very fortunate to be provided with a new "daily"...

Pictures will be provided upon receipt this coming Sunday - Feel free to guess what nice family car with plenty of boot space might be.
Patrick you may not influence this game in any way!

So anyway - the build thread will likely become filled with pictures of general derusting.. good times!
Followed by an amateurs guide to an engine swap with pics!... even better times!

JoeCool

Octavia VRS.

What are you swapping into it?
2ZZ '02 Roadster

shnazzle

Really?

S urely you don't need another car already. How many is that?
Four?
...neutiquam erro.

jvanzyl

Quote from: "JoeCool"Octavia VRS.

Getting warm! It's the right "platform"...

I'm putting my rebuilt 1zz that Carolyn helped me to do.

Quote from: "shnazzle"Really?

S urely you don't need another car already. How many is that?
Four?

Oh I forgot to add - I'm getting rid of the Skoda Fabia.. it's a 1.4tdi on 125k miles, it will need a suspension refresh but that's it, oh an it's got a nice removable towbar. If anyone knows anyone that might be interested in it, then give me a shout. But yeah if we don't sell the skoda it'll be four   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

shnazzle

S o not 4. Phew.
Looking forward to seeing it!
...neutiquam erro.

Carolyn

It's a lot easier to detail the car underneath once the engine is out.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Topdownman

It can only be one of these......

"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

MilesH

Quote from: "jvanzyl"

Audi Estate?

jvanzyl

Quote from: "MilesH"

Audi Estate?

Nailed it  :-) :-) :-)  but which one....? It's a B7 series..(edit it's an 05 plate)

jvanzyl

Quote from: "Topdownman"It can only be one of these......

LOL narrowly escaped getting the latter version of that in place of the Alhambra..
So far Miles is the closest... Come on people- I wouldn't be getting this excited if it were "normal"... :-) :-) :-)

shnazzle

I can't figure it out.
S eems like I'm not the only one struggling to think of it.
4 me, it would be the skoda  s:) :) s:)
...neutiquam erro.

jvanzyl

Quote from: "shnazzle"I can't figure it out.
S eems like I'm not the only one struggling to think of it.
4 me, it would be the skoda  s:) :) s:)

s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  sigh... That's because you're practical economical side wins over the flamboyant throwing caution to the wind side... I've started "researching"  bits for it...

Topdownman

Audi S6 avant then..
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Chilli Girl

Audi R6? Toyota Verso?
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

jvanzyl

It's an S4 Avant  :-) :-) :-)  
A proper family car.... Nice and practical...

shnazzle

Seriously, did nobody pick up on my hints?
...neutiquam erro.

Topdownman

Quote from: "shnazzle"Seriously, did nobody pick up on my hints?

Just thought that was your crap typing....

John, I will be interested to hear if there is a special section in the drivers handbook on "how to drive your new Audi".
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

mikek

Quote from: "Topdownman"

John, I will be interested to hear if there is a special section in the drivers handbook on "how to drive your new Audi".

There is. It's just before the section explaining why audis don't need indicators and just after the section that explains the special braking device that allows you to drive 2 inches from the car in front!!!
2zz by Rogue. Se7en cams. BMC CDA. Competion clutches lightened flywheel, Megillian Racing Exhaust. TRD sportivo suspension and ARB\'s. TRD braces. TRD quick shift. TRD dash kit, Matts brace. Getting there but not sure when it will stop!

jvanzyl

Hahaha!! That's exactly what I thought!! I just thought he was having trouble with this opposable thumbs business  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

I shall endeavour to drive in a dignified fashion at all times.... Not least because consumables appear to be a TINY bit more expensive than the Skoda...

jvanzyl

Quote from: "mikek"

There is. It's just before the section explaining why audis don't need indicators and just after the section that explains the special braking device that allows you to drive 2 inches from the car in front!!!

Totally understand what you are referring to- I shall be the exception to that section of the guide book!

shnazzle

Hahaha!! That's exactly what I thought!! I just thought he was having trouble with this opposable thumbs business [emoji38]

I shall endeavour to drive in a dignified fashion at all times.... Not least because consumables appear to be a TINY bit more expensive than the Skoda...
We enjoyed shelling out 280 quid for a single door window mechanism about the size of a cassette tape

s:) :) s:)
...neutiquam erro.

Topdownman

[[/quote]We enjoyed shelling out 280 quid for a single door window mechanism about the size of a cassette tape

s:) :) s:) [/quote]

You could buy a whole Rodius for that!
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

jvanzyl

Ooooh good burn!!

Topdownman

Just read an aticle on line which said,

The UK's most steal-able vehicles

Is your car one of the UK's most steal-able vehicles? These are the top ten makes and models of cars deemed most at risk of theft, following the study carried out by the German Automotive Club:

Audi: A3, A4, A6

BMW: 730d

Citroen: DS4 CrossBack

Ford: Galaxy, Eco-Sport

Honda: HR-V

Hyundai: Santa Fe CRDi

Kia: Optima

Lexus: RX 450h

Mazda: CX-5

Mini: Clubman
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Tags: