Tyre choices NON MR2 Related!

Started by Anonymous, January 14, 2005, 09:07

Anonymous

I know this is not MR2 related, but does anyone know of a decent website or source where I can find what tyres were fitted to cars at the point of manufacture? My Dad has a Peugeot 306 Diesel and the tyres have been changed to some god awful aftermarket rubbish with no known name and I want to know what the original tyres were so I can order some for him from MyTyres.

I guess they are probably going to be something french, like Michelin or something, but would be nice to check and get something like the originals back on. He says the ones that are on there at the moment are just terrifying in the damp and wet!!!

Any help MUCH appreciated!

markiii

Peugot dealer should now.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Its been a few years but I think my GTi6 came with Pirelli P6000. I changed them to Eagle F1's though.

Anonymous

Yep, sort of helpful, but I don't think the original tyres were Goodyear.

also Mark, the local Peugeot garage near my dad is useless and with justification, won't actually use them anymore! Long story........

I could always ask another garage I suppose..........just though people on here might have some useful info.......

so.simple

Er... The information on goodyear's site is about the sizes, not the brands. If, for example, you look up the '2 (which also didn't come with goodyear tyres) the information is accurate.

My 200th post !!!
Carlos

Tem

Just curious, but why do you want the originals? In mass-market cars, they are just a compromise between what gives them most profit and what buyers will accept. I don't think you'll get good tyres by getting the originals and you can get decent tyres from any major brand...  s:? :? s:?
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

so.simple

Ok... I'm sorry. I hadn't read the part where you say you're looking for the brand. Sorry   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  Please carry on.
Carlos

Anonymous

Quote from: "Tem"Just curious, but why do you want the originals? In mass-market cars, they are just a compromise between what gives them most profit and what buyers will accept. I don't think you'll get good tyres by getting the originals and you can get decent tyres from any major brand...  s:? :? s:?

Yeah, thats a fair point Tem. I think my dad just wanted some point of reference to what he already had on and to what he has had on other cars. He doesn't actually know how the car is supposed to handle. I guess other tyres should be Ok, but I don't want to put something on there for him that makes the car handle even worse. We don't know if the 306 is actually that sensitive to tyre choice or not.

I just think it is my Dad being over cautious really.......

roger

I am guessing, but I reckon nobody will know.

Car Makers will probably buy from several manufacturers over a lifetime. For the 2, wasn't it Yokos to start and now Bridgestone?
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Tem

Quote from: "roger"For the 2, wasn't it Yokos to start and now Bridgestone?

AFAIK, they used Yokos when they were available and Bridgestones to fill the gaps. That's when the production started anyway, no idea about later years.

markiii

Quote from: "John Woodward"
Quote from: "Tem"Just curious, but why do you want the originals? In mass-market cars, they are just a compromise between what gives them most profit and what buyers will accept. I don't think you'll get good tyres by getting the originals and you can get decent tyres from any major brand...  s:? :? s:?

Yeah, thats a fair point Tem. I think my dad just wanted some point of reference to what he already had on and to what he has had on other cars. He doesn't actually know how the car is supposed to handle. I guess other tyres should be Ok, but I don't want to put something on there for him that makes the car handle even worse. We don't know if the 306 is actually that sensitive to tyre choice or not.

I reckon he'd be fine with proxies, just remember to raise pressures of what the handbook tells him.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"
Quote from: "John Woodward"

I reckon he'd be fine with proxies, just remember to raise pressures of what the handbook tells him.

A very fair point. I think if we can't find out, I might just go with what I know. The Proxes are good enough. Smaller though...........  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Anonymous

I thought French cars tended to have Michelins?

Anonymous

Quote from: "Teucer2000"I thought French cars tended to have Michelins?

My thoughts too. Don't like Michelins myself, but Dad wanted to see what the car was like close to stock for comparison. I know the 306 is a pretty tidy handler, so I don't think they can be that bad! Hopefully........

GSB

My peugeot had goodyears on it when new... (1997)
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Tem

Not sure if this helps or not, but 206 had Pirelli P6000's over here.

Tags: