Bought myself one

Started by Gatouzze, January 16, 2017, 18:54

Gatouzze

Hi every one,

I finally bought my very own MR2!

It's a 2003 FL silver with red leather and in very good condition inside and outside, totally full stock and I enjoyed riding it during the way back home ^^

The pictures will come soon but with the work it's dark when I leave and same when I come back... But I'm pretty sure you can imagine what it looks like!

For now I need your advice about insurance... I used a comparate web site and it gives me around 840£ a year for social and communite, 10000 miles and comprehensive with a black box... and I cannot say if it's expensive or not...

Already contacted Adrian Flux and the price is even higher...

I'm 32, French, I have an full EU license for 13 years but I cannot justify any no-claim bonus as I haven't have any car in the UK yet!

So, before paying this amount, I wanted to have some advise if you think the price is correct or not?

Thank you for reading and for your help!  s;) ;) s;)

Cheers,
Gaëtan

Ardent

Hello and welcome

good choice of car.
Sadly, insurance is such a personal thing. Think google and lots of coffeee are your friends here. Research is the key. Bit of out side the box thinking required in sourcing insurers.

You could startwith those in our affilate section

insx

Wow, that's more than twice what I paid for insurance and I had never insured a car before. I am middle aged though.

brettfield999

I used to live in SE25 also so same area as you and it is expensive there.  That probably is right tbf £750-£900.  Can you add a partner or friend that has a full licence as a 2nd driver to spread the risk, preferably someone with a UK licence with a few years?  I'm not far maybe 4 miles away in SM6, 29, 2 yrs no claims 6000 pa and I just renewed at £330 fully comp but it does make a massive diffence moving out of a London postcode.  Adrian Flux was significantly more expensive in my case
[strike]2000 Blue PFL MR2 Roadster with 187K, engine blown[/strike]<br />[strike]2000 Blue MRS, 80K[/strike]<br />[strike]2001 Blue PFL MR2 Roadster 131K, 2ZZ,[/strike]<br />[strike]2003 Silver FL MR2 Roadster with 81K now daily driver, 2ZZ by Headcase[/strike]

Gatouzze

Thank you all for the tips, I managed to get some cheaper quote and it may change soon

As for the pictures today is sunny but I'm at work far away from it... I will try to see if my girlfriend can take some ^^

Gatouzze

First photos, thanks to my girlfriend, I will do some more soon! Mostly Friday as the car will be insured and I will take it for work ^^

[attachment=2:1jzm8mhk] ia2 01.jpeg ia2 [/attachment:1jzm8mhk]

[attachment=1:1jzm8mhk] ia1 02.jpeg ia1 [/attachment:1jzm8mhk]

[attachment=0:1jzm8mhk] ia0 03.jpeg ia0 [/attachment:1jzm8mhk]

Chilli Girl

Looks like you've found a good clean one!  Very nice.
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

Ardent

let the spending commence  :-) :-) :-)

Gatouzze

Thank you  s:) :) s:)

The car is in very good shape (from my noob point of view ^^") but still needs some work and some parts to be changed but I will post in time (meaning when the money comes in lol)

The spending is already starting because I went for a drive last Saturday and I realized Sunday the left front tyre was flat... and the problem is it cannot be fix as the little hole on the tyre sidewall... well I will have to buy a new Yoko to replace this one ^^"

Otherwise the first thing I will buy is a luggage rack so we can use the car with my girlfriend for week-ends and holidays so if there is other than the one I found on google around 250/300£ I would gladly take the link for it  s;) ;) s;)

Gatouzze

Long time no post ^^ "

Although I go on the forum every day to read the new messages (the advantage of working on a computer) I take unfortunately no time to update the presentation of my MR2

In short, what's new about the car?

Changing tires for 4 Toyo Proxes T1-R so less grip than the Yoko AD08-R but in terms of price it's not the same and for the daily they are perfect!

I bought a double din car radio (£ 30 on eBay) with touch screen and video playback to keep us busy while waiting for the ferry last summer but having received a tablet Christmas, I decided to buy a TRUE head unit so I took advantage of a promo Halfords to buy a Pioneer FH-X730BT on which I can connect Spotify! ^^

I then bought a pair of Focal 165AS to replace the paper speakers and I took the opportunity to soundproof the right door (the left needing to be changed because a bike hit me and damaged the door...) which greatly improved the sound quality!

But (because there is always a but...) I found that the whole lacked a bit of bass once the hood folded... so I decided to buy a pre-amplified Kenwood KSC SW11 that I installed at the level of the steering column! Now the sound is perfect and the amp does not move (still checking now and then though)!

What's next? It's time to take care of the chassis!

I joined the group buy currently available to benefit from an interesting discount on Meister coilovers which should be available in a few weeks!

Then I will buy second-hand suspension arms that I will renew with a kit polybush but it will wait for winter (to occupy my long nights lol)!

Finally I will buy strut bars bars for the front, the back and under the chassis so that the car becomes rigid!

Apart from that the MR2 works very well and is super economical as a daily (7.5l / 100 average) and I was very happy last month during a circuit session! : D

The handling is exceptional considering that the car is totally original!

Thank for reading!

Now time for a couple of pics!

Tags: