Urgent.. Airbag light won't turn off

Started by ad_car_08, April 8, 2017, 09:59

ad_car_08

Any help would be so gratefully received  :( by the end of the day, it also showed a B0101 Open in D Squib Circuit  :(

Purchased the full version of ELM scan but no joy...Couldn't erase the code. Starting to think either I've got a duff resistor or I'm doing something wrong..
[size=85]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster - Track toy
Honda Civic EX 1.0T - Company Car
[/size]

JoeCool

The connector under the seat only does the seatbelt warning light. No impact on airbag warning.

I have resistorised my drivers airbag and it's been absolutely fine since day one. Passenger airbag remains, and I don't have the seat plug connected.  I can only suggest you re-check your placement of the resistor in the steering wheel plug and cycle the power.
2ZZ '02 Roadster

ad_car_08

Joe, what resistor do you have? Is it 3.3ohm or a 2amp fuse? Research is [confusingly] pointing me in both directions
[/size]

paulj

Resistance is measured in Ohms so I would plump for 3.3 Ohms if i was choosing!
Today
2000 x reg pfl - blue - as original no mods
In the late 1980's
1982 x reg Toyota Corolla Liftback Coupe (also blue)
1978 s reg Mitsubishi Celeste Coupe (yellow)

JoeCool

It was supplied with the Momo Boss kit so I'm not sure of resistance.

The ones you see on Ebay appear to have a 2 amp fuse and are rated at 2.7-3.3 ohms resistance. It looks like it needs to be about 3 ohms but the car isn't actually that fussy and a range will work.
2ZZ '02 Roadster

ad_car_08

My local Maplin has run out of 3.3ohm resistors so I'm just looking on eBay.
There are 0.25W, 2W, 1W, 10W....all 3.3ohm...which do I need?!?
[/size]

ad_car_08

OK, this is really starting to piss me off and fry my noodle!
3.3ohm resistor acquired, wired it in, cleared the code with ELMscan and the codes pop back up again?!? What the hell?!?
Someone please put me out my misery and tell me what I'm doing wrong!?

[/size]

Call the midlife!

Quote from: ad_car_08 on April 22, 2018, 19:41
OK, this is really starting to piddle me off and fry my noodle!
3.3ohm resistor acquired, wired it in, cleared the code with ELMscan and the codes pop back up again?!? What the hell?!?

Is the resistor the right way round?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
60% of the time it works everytime...

Call the midlife!

Quote from: Call the midlife! on April 22, 2018, 20:10
Quote from: ad_car_08 on April 22, 2018, 19:41
OK, this is really starting to piddle me off and fry my noodle!

Is the resistor the right way round?

Ignore that sorry, confusing resistance with something else!

jonbill

Just a thought - assuming those wires in your pic are from the  loom and would attach normally to the steering wheel airbag, then that's definitely not the open circuit.

Those errors refer to airbag sensor and seatbelt pretensioner squib - so maybe the problem is in the seatbelt pretensioner.
Have you done anything to the seatbelts?

ad_car_08

Quote from: jonbill on April 22, 2018, 22:00
Just a thought - assuming those wires in your pic are from the  loom and would attach normally to the steering wheel airbag, then that's definitely not the open circuit.

Those errors refer to airbag sensor and seatbelt pretensioner squib - so maybe the problem is in the seatbelt pretensioner.
Have you done anything to the seatbelts?

I've removed them! The car is stripped out.
Do I need to stuff a resistor elsewhere too?
[/size]

jonbill

Yes I think so - you've got an error code for each seatbelt. There'll be some wiring going to where your pretensioners were - you'll need to join them with a resistor < 1k ohm just like you did the air bag.

I dunno where these pretensioners are, but that's the next problem [emoji3]

shnazzle

Is it a track car?
I'm assuming so as you've stripped the airbags and seat belt pretensioners (new MOT laws and all), so in that case, why bother with resistors? Just undo the ecu light.
...neutiquam erro.

ad_car_08

Quote from: shnazzle on April 22, 2018, 22:28
Is it a track car?
I'm assuming so as you've stripped the airbags and seat belt pretensioners (new MOT laws and all), so in that case, why bother with resistors? Just undo the ecu light.
I thought the resistor would be quicker and less invasive. The less I bugger with the electrics, the less chance I'll have problems. Thats my theory anyway! :lol:
[/size]

Call the midlife!

Quote from: jonbill on April 22, 2018, 22:26
Yes I think so - you've got an error code for each seatbelt. There'll be some wiring going to where your pretensioners were - you'll need to join them with a resistor < 1k ohm just like you did the air bag.

The pretensioners are explosive charges fitted to the back/side of the seatbelt reels, go off in the event of an accident and take up the slack in the belt. There's a prescribed order in which to remove/refit them safely but if you've left them attached to the reels you're ok.

ad_car_08

So same 3.3ohm resistor for airbag should do the job on the pretensioners?
[/size]

ad_car_08

Quote from: Call the midlife! on April 22, 2018, 22:33

The pretensioners are explosive charges fitted to the back/side of the seatbelt reels, go off in the event of an accident and take up the slack in the belt. There's a prescribed order in which to remove/refit them safely but if you've left them attached to the reels you're ok.

Ah....see I just unplugged them after the battery was disconnected for over a month and unbolted the reels from the car and chucked them in the skip...
[/size]

jonbill

Quote from: ad_car_08 on April 22, 2018, 22:36

So same 3.3ohm resistor for airbag should do the job on the pretensioners?
I reckon 🤞

Call the midlife!

Quote from: ad_car_08 on April 22, 2018, 22:42
Quote from: Call the midlife! on April 22, 2018, 22:33

Ah....see I just unplugged them after the battery was disconnected for over a month and unbolted the reels from the car and chucked them in the skip...
Yeah, explosives in the skip, what could possibly go wrong?[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
I'm getting flashbacks to "Four Lions".

ad_car_08

....I actually love you guys!!! Thank you so much for your help/advice!!

Note to all... 3.3ohm resistor in the airbag plug, and 1 in both LH and RH seatbelt plugs extinguishes the flashing red airbag light on the dash!!  :D  8)
[/size]

jonbill

ad_car_08

[/size]

Tags: