How far do you push it in the wet?

Started by Anonymous, February 3, 2005, 15:10

Anonymous

As a percentage,- I recon I go 30% slower around corners, and 5-10% slower on all other roads in the wet, I really like to throw it round corners in the dry cos it just sticks. But all the posts here about sliding have scared me somewhat, so I just play safe on corners when wet. I really need to go one a lotus day thing,- unfortunatly im still financially challanged from crimbo- but your comments will help me judge just how loose the backend is. ( all the carparks have been boyracer-proofed) so i cant test it anywhere. Ive felt the back end go a few times but they were at oily busy junctions, and when ive been dumb enough to change gear mid corner. I tried searching but didnt find

I may change my name to Posty McPostpost

Anonymous

Hey when everybody gets there gtechs, we'll have quantifiable evidence of how fast you can go in the wet.

For the record, I get nowhere near the limits in the wet, almost totalling my car once was enough for me.

markiii

very easy unless the road is deserted and I know it in which case hanging teh arse out on roundabouts can be fun   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

To be honest mate, its all to do with the weight transfer entering the corner, mid corner and exiting the corner!

every one's driving style is differnt, the main thing you need to learn, or know is how to sense when the back is becoming loose and what action you need to take to avoid a sticky situation.  

I learnt this very quickly in my old mr2 Turbo! yes with the aid of carparks and some very large roundabouts!  s:D :D s:D    s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:   (private ones)

Tem

Impossible to say how much slower  s:? :? s:?  But I do tend to drive on the grip limit and enjoying wide slides  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Then again, the S03's have pretty crazy grip on wet road. According to GTech, they actually grip more in wet than the stock Yokos in dry  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

mrsmr2

I have more confidence in the wet than on greasy roads - the S03s are very good in the wet.

But, I still don't do anything stupid and drive quite a lot slower in to the bends - although I do enjoy booting it out just the same.

It's the thought of lack of turn in in the wet that stops me pushing it.
04 Astral Black, hard top, air con, black leather, Corky\'s MSMB; FSB;  RMB; RLCB, empty exhaust manifold, cg-lock.  Warranty: new wheels @ 20k, new pads and discs @ 21k, new wheels @ 26.4k

Anonymous

Well guys, I have been a bit naughty this evening. It has been raining all day and went out for a drive in the 2. Got to the round about, obviously with wet roads and I carried on at about 35mph as I went round as nobody was coming from either exit.

Cut a long story short, I went through too fast and span the car out. Lucky enough I actually hit nothing, and nobody or other cars were around.

So I recommend to take it easy.....I def will be in the wet!

kanujunkie

lucky bugger!

could have so easily been so much worse, good to here it ended safely though
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

I'm kinda glad I experienced it, cos I won't be doing that again......

I think the MR2 God was smiling down on me.....

heathstimpson

You were very lucky that firstly no other motors were around and secondly you missed all local kerbs/trees/signs etc  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

Tell me about it!

But I suppose its all in the steps to learning how to drive properly.

heathstimpson

Quote from: "Moreno"Tell me about it!

But I suppose its all in the steps to learning how to drive properly.
It sometimes worries me that I have not had a major 'event' yet and when it does come it may be when the roads are busy  s:? :? s:?
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

Well all I can suggest is just don't push it.

Its hard not to in a car like this, but especially not when wet.

To tell you the truth, I have been driving a fiesta for like 3 years now, and the fiesta seemed a lot more steady than the 2! But it was a lot less powerful at only 1.6

Anonymous

10% slower. I just stay in higher gear more often, and cut off any 'savagry'.
Was driving down country roads today in the snow! that makes me 30% slower i can tell you. just within the speed limit then  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

The best time to "push it" is when asphalt gets warmer (above 16C) when you can count for tyres to get a good grip.
You should be very carefull when driving in wet - especialy in winter time.
You can't realy predict that in % and you don't think about it when you are already spining...  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:
I think the only thing you can count on is experience. Don't over estimate your driving abilities.   s8) 8) s8)

Anonymous

Guys, please please just be careful. I now have been out in enough hi-speed car journeys to know what can happen and this is with VERY experienced drivers. Too many close calls for me to even try it with my 2   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

right that's my mothering bit out of the way.   s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

Don't tell me about driving slower in the wet!

Boxing day (2004) and my car was less than a month old, only 1000km on the clock.  I was driving home, in light drizzel.  On the last bend before home, I was doing about 60km. The bend is quite gentle and I have driven it 100 times since - no idea what went wrong, but I spun my baby in the road - hitting the roadside head on - into a rock face   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

I have been driving for over 20 years and have some track experience (doesn't mean I am any good at driving though), but the  whole even has been very un nerving.

Still the car is now back, as good as new, and I now drive like a granny!

Basically, I have had to have a whole new front end! (Took 2 months to fix due to part delays)

My advice, you can drive it hard in the dry, but leave it at home when it's wet.

Nathan
Corfu, Greece
 w www.agni.gr w

Anonymous

I drive like there is an egg under the right pedal in the wet!

Was getting a lot of 2nd gear wheelspin with the chip the other day on the unichip run!

Anonymous

Should you really be leaving your car behind when its wet, doesn't moisture=fun ?

Only had my MR2 a month (maybe still a bit innocent) but I've been using mine on a 55mile a day commute on single carriageway A roads in the recent snowy conditions and had a few twitches and a couple of provoked slides. However nothing has yet got totally out of hand and I feel mutch more confident for it especially after only previously having FWD experience.

Anonymous

Quote from: "MR2ACE"Should you really be leaving your car behind when its wet, doesn't moisture=fun ?

Only had my MR2 a month (maybe still a bit innocent) but I've been using mine on a 55mile a day commute on single carriageway A roads in the recent snowy conditions and had a few twitches and a couple of provoked slides. However nothing has yet got totally out of hand and I feel mutch more confident for it especially after only previously having FWD experience.

Give it time  s;) ;) s;)

kanujunkie

it can as many will testify go badly wrong very quickly so as bigun007 said give it time, the 2 is more situated to the dry and whilst you can have a lot of fun in the wet, it can go horribly wrong, i personally can testify to that, i wrote a 3 week old 2 off going round a corner, the back end slipped and made contact with a mondeo, never did like mondeo's  s:? :? s:?
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

Quote: kanujunkie" it can, as many will testify, go badly wrong very quickly "

Exactly, a point I didn't make in my above post. It happened so quickly and completely caught me off-guard. I was unable to correct it. I am still gobsmacked at what happend, re-driving the road last night, re-enforced my opionion that I did nothing wrong (maybe oil?) My wife (although not in the car) recons I was going much faster than 60 - I'm not so sure because I hit a completely solid face (solid rock!) but the airbags did not open.
  Funny thing is, previously when I have been pushing the car much harder, I have been easiliy able to correct a slight rear wheel slide. When expecting it, I think you have no problem, but the reaction time (delay)when you are caught off guard, is soo great that it will all be over!

Nathan

kanujunkie

Quote from: "Agni"I'm not so sure because I hit a completely solid face (solid rock!)

Yoooouuuuuuccccchhhhhhh!!  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

now thats gotta hurt  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "Agni"Still the car is now back, as good as new, and I now drive like a granny!

Basically, I have had to have a whole new front end! (Took 2 months to fix due to part delays)

My advice, you can drive it hard in the dry, but leave it at home when it's wet.

Nathan
Corfu, Greece
 w www.agni.gr w

Glad to see you're back on the road Nathan.

Anonymous

Yeah, i can 2nd that too.

Afterhaving an old mr2 turbo... i can safely say in a matter of seconds you can have that back end overtaking the front! even if your not pushing it!   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Tags: