My Silver '06

Started by delhusband, May 13, 2017, 11:42

Call the midlife!

Quote from: "delhusband"
Quote from: "rich_p"I hate to think how much those frunk clips must've been.
I asked parts guy for 18 of those, and 20 each bolts and screws. Nearly choked on complimentary coffee when he said they were all over a pound each   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  charged my mind and asked for 5 of each   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Mate, you're just playing at it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
60% of the time it works everytime...

delhusband

Quote from: "shnazzle"Cheapskate
Lol! Just seen this post  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    Guilty   s:D :D s:D  
Quote from: "Call the midlife!"Mate, you're just playing at it...
s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  also just seen your invoice for misc. Thats nearly a TCB steering uj!
Hate pointy animals

Call the midlife!

Quote from: "shnazzle"Cheapskate
Lol! Just seen this post  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    Guilty   s:D :D s:D  
Quote from: "Call the midlife!"Mate, you're just playing at it...
s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  also just seen your invoice for misc. Thats nearly a TCB steering uj!
That was on a previous invoice...[emoji23]

delhusband

noticed after months of ownership that my hood had "Ears"
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=63563

Found out that there's a strap that runs inside the hood, and lots of nice peeps on here told me how to fix  s:) :) s:)  see link above for videos and a really good explanation.
Obtained a new strap (thanks D. Sloane  s:D :D s:D  )

Bit dark, nights drawing in and all that. Torch required. Used a hefty tome to prop the hood up at just the right angle to fit the strap. I recommend this book. A fascinating insight into how things turned bad quick through the ages, and who was to blame.

I attached the strap to my loft pole with some parcel tape, and used this to feed the strap through the "tunnel" within the "Tunnel" in the hood, taking care to make sure the pop studs were the right way up.

Wrapped around the frame, and then coupled the straps to the hood strap fixings using the pop studs

Looking a lot better at the back, ears now gone (if you can even make that out - it's pitch black here - even the dog walkers are passing me staring at me like I'm a loony)

Only slight unexpected consequence is that there's a section of hood above the passenger side that now sags - pretty sure it wasn't like that before - maybe just need to tighten the passenger latch a little
Hate pointy animals

2 of the left

Good to see - Make sure you stitch the strap in and around the studs - all the pressure/stress is on the studs and without stitching they will pop - Be careful when adjusting the latches - if you overdo it the hood will not fit correctly!!  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM!!

The Arch Bishop

You're braver than me doing seat covers. If I had a crack at that, it'd look like an old man's face by the end! Great work!

MOD - relating to posts moved to How To area:
 l viewtopic.php?t=63892 l

delhusband

Quote from: "The Arch Bishop"You're braver than me doing seat covers. If I had a crack at that, it'd look like an old man's face by the end! Great work!

MOD - relating to posts moved to How To area:
 m http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=63892 m
Cheers! I kind of had to just try regardless, the seats looked really skanky (tried some before after photos, but grime didn't show as vividly on camera).
Hate pointy animals

delhusband

Quote from: "shnazzle"MOD - relating to posts moved to How To area:
 m http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=63892 m
Cheers for the entry in "How to"  s:D :D s:D  minor important addendum required though. I've Just tried the drivers seat, there's an extra step for removing the seat rake adjustment dial, to get the cloth off. Sorry to be a pain, can you stick this in the how to as well please Patrick?
 [attachment=0:10um0sqp] ia0 IMG_20171025_194302.jpg ia0 [/attachment:10um0sqp]
Hate pointy animals

shnazzle

Not a problem at all!
...neutiquam erro.

delhusband

Quote from: "Topdownman"I would wire brush the UJ, grease it up and see how you get on
Finally got round to doing this.

Before:
[attachment=2:2lavn42a] ia2 IMG_20171026_182855.jpg ia2 [/attachment:2lavn42a]

Rotary tool with extension and wire brush attachment
[attachment=1:2lavn42a] ia1 IMG_20171026_184640.jpg ia1 [/attachment:2lavn42a]

Brushing complete, lots of flaking rust came off. Didn't have the car jacked up, so never really got the underside done particularly well
[attachment=0:2lavn42a] ia0 IMG_20171026_184653.jpg ia0 [/attachment:2lavn42a]
Hate pointy animals

delhusband

Slapped a load of this on
[attachment=1:3ckxy0av] ia1 IMG_20171026_184751.jpg ia1 [/attachment:3ckxy0av]

Job done
[attachment=0:3ckxy0av] ia0 IMG_20171026_190453.jpg ia0 [/attachment:3ckxy0av]
Hate pointy animals

Chilli Girl

s:D :D s:D  Great job Derek, you've reminded me that I should take a look at mine!   s:D :D s:D . The steering feels spot on but always worth a look.
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

Call the midlife!

Expertly done, it's a credit to you Sir.

2 of the left

I had the u/j replaced  on my Blue- once the steering is to the stage it shouldn't be - Why rely on grease??!!  s:scared: :scared: s:scared:
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM!!

Call the midlife!

Quote from: "delhusband"Slapped a load of this on
[attachment=1:3z84w1dr] ia1 IMG_20171026_184751.jpg ia1 [/attachment:3z84w1dr]

Job done
[attachment=0:3z84w1dr] ia0 IMG_20171026_190453.jpg ia0 [/attachment:3z84w1dr]
You might want to get some lubricant up inside the void in the top half of the knuckle too, it looks a bit dry up there. A spray of your chosen protection with a few turns lock to lock maybe?

Topdownman

I think they all look pretty bad the first time you grease them as they are usually neglected under the plastic.

They rust straight away so as long as they feel ok and pass the mot etc then thats the main thing.

All that lovely grease should hold back the rust now.
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

delhusband

Thanks all for feedback, will probably change this sometime soon, but was keen to have a second look and treat it for now.
Hate pointy animals

Call the midlife!

Quote from: "delhusband"Thanks all for feedback, will probably change this sometime soon, but was keen to have a second look and treat it for now.
Did you treat it to some Halloumi??

delhusband

Quote from: "Call the midlife!"Did you treat it to some Halloumi??
No animals were harmed in the prepping of this UJ   s:P :P s:P
Hate pointy animals

delhusband

Still can't believe I never realised it was pure veggie until you said... There you go better than quorn  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Hate pointy animals

Call the midlife!

Still can't believe I never realised it was pure veggie until you said... There you go better than quorn  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
To be fair it wasn't until the bread fell apart that I realised myself!
Long day and already 2 pints under the belt by then at least [emoji38]

delhusband

You know, if you've put your 2 away for winter, I'm sure it'll only take a few minutes to get the cover or hard top off again - never too late   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  
Weather's been nice this weekend, shame not to take advantage of it......

Hate pointy animals

Topdownman

Some nice pictures there, looks like you have had a busy morning.

PS Doesnt that tree look fast standing still!
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

delhusband

Quote from: "Topdownman"Doesnt that tree look fast standing still!
LOL! Yeah. Wind does go fast up there though  s:) :) s:)
Hate pointy animals

Chilli Girl

Love these pics Derek, you certainly seem to have great scenery up there & perfect roads for a 2.   s:D :D s:D
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

Tags: