My Silver '06

Started by delhusband, May 13, 2017, 11:42

delhusband

Quote from: "Chilli Girl"Love these pics Derek, you certainly seem to have great scenery up there & perfect roads for a 2.   s:D :D s:D
Thanks Jane  s:) :) s:)   Pretty lucky here, you can see Arran. Cumbrae and over to Kintyre Peninsula.  There's some spoilers just out of shot though  s:( :( s:(   - At the foot of the hill, and behind a mound, are the two main buildings of Hunterston Nuclear power station, and then there's the Hunterston Terminal with 2 large cranes and the a large open coal store at Fairlie.
Hate pointy animals

rich_p

Great set of photos!

Car is looking very tidy and no doubt there was some good driving to be had.

delhusband

Quote from: "rich_p"Great set of photos!
Car is looking very tidy and no doubt there was some good driving to be had.
Cheers Rich, appreciated  s:) :) s:)  and yeah, it was fun driving - first time in ages we've had good weather at weekend
Hate pointy animals

McLenin

Cheers mate, very nice photos!

delhusband

Quote from: "McLenin"Cheers mate, very nice photos!
Thanks  s:D :D s:D  you have some nice scenery in Slovakia too though, I was hillwalking in the Tatra mountains 11 years ago, it was amazing up there. We started in Zakopane in Poland. View from the top was breathtaking.
Hate pointy animals

delhusband

Quote from: "delhusband"it was amazing up there
[attachment=1:2kyrxcys] ia1 20050901 081552 - 2272 x 1704.JPG ia1 [/attachment:2kyrxcys]
[attachment=2:2kyrxcys] ia2 20050901 081517 - 2272 x 1704.JPG ia2 [/attachment:2kyrxcys]
[attachment=0:2kyrxcys] ia0 20050901 080405 - 1704 x 2272.JPG ia0 [/attachment:2kyrxcys]
Hate pointy animals

McLenin

Yes, high tatras are very nice.
They where even more majestic before the storm took most of the trees away. It's getting back to its glory very slowly.
Glad you liked it  s:) :) s:)

delhusband

Been rather unsuccessful at trying to replace my chain tensioner.  
Background - Last club meet, there was talk about chain tensioners, and when and why they might need replacing. There was no rattling noise from my chain, but when we looked at the tensioner it looked like there was maybe a little bit of oil seeping out of at the left.  Thoughts were I maybe needed to replace the O ring, which Carolyn kindly sent on. But when TCB were advertising tensioners, it didn't look expensive, and after reading a few threads / watching a couple of videos I thought I'd get one for preventative maintenance, and have a go at replacing it myself.  

Here's how it looked before I started - very rusty

I bought a new tensioner from TCB, arrived really quickly  s:) :) s:)  . Thoroughly sprayed the 10mm retaining nuts with plenty of WD40 release agent, and let it soak overnight.
I found access to the nuts really really tricky - tricky to get tool in, not much room to swing the tool, and really difficult to see what I was doing.
Attempt 1 - Sockets weren't tall enough to get over the bolt posts to get to the nuts. Went to Halfords, and got some tall sockets.
Attempt 2 - Top nut came loose, but the bottom nut was rusted firmly in place.  Sprayed loads more release agent, more soaking, still no joy, and had now rounded the bottom 10mm nut

At this point, thinking I need a set of locking pliers, and 2 x new 10mm nut for when the tensioner goes back in
Ordered nuts from Toyota, go to collect, and wrong part comes. Damn! so, sat with parts guy, go the right part, and also noted that the nuts go over a double threaded bolt, so ordered up those also - cost, £5 for nuts and bolts.

Attempt 3 - ready for action...

Couldn't get the locking pliers over the nut - too big, slipping off, not enough space to swing it. Abandoned.
Time for new ideas.  I'd seen that notching a nut with a chisel, and then getting the nut to rotate angling the chisel into the notch and hammering, might be an option.  I wasn't very good at this...I got the notch made, but the nut turned out to be a bit like Thatcher - "the lady's not for turning"

Tried then drilling with my hand drill, and then grinding through the nut with my rotary tool.  All I managed to accomplish here was to expose some nice fresh shiny metal, and grind down the threads on the double threaded bolt post (glad now I bought the new bolt posts)

I notice that the double threaded bolt post has a star shaped male end, and am now wondering if there's a female socket to fit over the end of it you'd be able to try rotating the bolt post rather than the nut.  Regardless, it's a tool a don't have.

I've used up half my day off, not enough daylight hours left for anything productive, and rain starting.

So, tail between my legs I go round to Kevin our local mechanic and show him some sorry looking photos (as I am showing you now) and humbly request his assistance.  Top chap, came round today a van and another of his guys to tow Skaffen away.

Epic Fail!  Not put me off though. Does make me really want a dry, light space to work though.
Hate pointy animals

jonbill

Working outside this time of year would put me off for sure

Call the midlife!

Quote from: "delhusband"Been rather unsuccessful at trying to replace my chain tensioner.  
Background - Last club meet, there was talk about chain tensioners, and when and why they might need replacing. There was no rattling noise from my chain, but when we looked at the tensioner it looked like there was maybe a little bit of oil seeping out of at the left.  Thoughts were I maybe needed to replace the O ring, which Carolyn kindly sent on. But when TCB were advertising tensioners, it didn't look expensive, and after reading a few threads / watching a couple of videos I thought I'd get one for preventative maintenance, and have a go at replacing it myself.  

Here's how it looked before I started - very rusty

I bought a new tensioner from TCB, arrived really quickly  s:) :) s:)  . Thoroughly sprayed the 10mm retaining nuts with plenty of WD40 release agent, and let it soak overnight.
I found access to the nuts really really tricky - tricky to get tool in, not much room to swing the tool, and really difficult to see what I was doing.
Attempt 1 - Sockets weren't tall enough to get over the bolt posts to get to the nuts. Went to Halfords, and got some tall sockets.
Attempt 2 - Top nut came loose, but the bottom nut was rusted firmly in place.  Sprayed loads more release agent, more soaking, still no joy, and had now rounded the bottom 10mm nut

At this point, thinking I need a set of locking pliers, and 2 x new 10mm nut for when the tensioner goes back in
Ordered nuts from Toyota, go to collect, and wrong part comes. Damn! so, sat with parts guy, go the right part, and also noted that the nuts go over a double threaded bolt, so ordered up those also - cost, £5 for nuts and bolts.

Attempt 3 - ready for action...

Couldn't get the locking pliers over the nut - too big, slipping off, not enough space to swing it. Abandoned.
Time for new ideas.  I'd seen that notching a nut with a chisel, and then getting the nut to rotate angling the chisel into the notch and hammering, might be an option.  I wasn't very good at this...I got the notch made, but the nut turned out to be a bit like Thatcher - "the lady's not for turning"

Tried then drilling with my hand drill, and then grinding through the nut with my rotary tool.  All I managed to accomplish here was to expose some nice fresh shiny metal, and grind down the threads on the double threaded bolt post (glad now I bought the new bolt posts)

I notice that the double threaded bolt post has a star shaped male end, and am now wondering if there's a female socket to fit over the end of it you'd be able to try rotating the bolt post rather than the nut.  Regardless, it's a tool a don't have.

I've used up half my day off, not enough daylight hours left for anything productive, and rain starting.

So, tail between my legs I go round to Kevin our local mechanic and show him some sorry looking photos (as I am showing you now) and humbly request his assistance.  Top chap, came round today a van and another of his guys to tow Skaffen away.

Epic Fail!  Not put me off though. Does make me really want a dry, light space to work though.
There is indeed a socket to drive the studs in/take out but to be honest I think it would've just chewed it even more if you couldn't shift it with the rest of the kit you've been using.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
60% of the time it works everytime...

paulj

thanks for sharing, that sort of information makes me feel better!  I often start a "it cant be that difficult, just two nuts" job and end up in a similar pickle.  As you say, though, never let it put you off.  Mine isn't a daily drive so it often just waits until I recover my composure.
Today
2000 x reg pfl - blue - as original no mods
In the late 1980's
1982 x reg Toyota Corolla Liftback Coupe (also blue)
1978 s reg Mitsubishi Celeste Coupe (yellow)

delhusband

Quote from: "Call the midlife!"There is indeed a socket to drive the studs in/take out but to be honest I think it would've just chewed it even more if you couldn't shift it with the rest of the kit you've been using.
To be fair my use of said tools was akin to a toddler using a fork & knife for first time   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  
It's an awkward bit to get to (in my opinion anyway). That socket might have clinched it, because its the tip of the bolt, which is easier to get at, but I might have ended up just shearing off the end given the rust.
Hate pointy animals

delhusband

Quote from: "paulj"thanks for sharing, that sort of information makes me feel better!  I often start a "it cant be that difficult, just two nuts" job and end up in a similar pickle.  As you say, though, never let it put you off.  Mine isn't a daily drive so it often just waits until I recover my composure.
Thanks, glad i'm not alone   s:) :) s:)   yeah. The youtube vids don't always show you how do to things when the bits are caked and welded in place with rust. I've said it before and i'll say it again, you have to hand it to the pro's - try giving a fixed price quote for a small job when you have to contend with all that comes with an aging car. Can't be easy.
Hate pointy animals

Call the midlife!

Quote from: "delhusband"
Quote from: "Call the midlife!"There is indeed a socket to drive the studs in/take out but to be honest I think it would've just chewed it even more if you couldn't shift it with the rest of the kit you've been using.
To be fair my use of said tools was akin to a toddler using a fork & knife for first time   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  
It's an awkward bit to get to (in my opinion anyway). That socket might have clinched it, because its the tip of the bolt, which is easier to get at, but I might have ended up just shearing off the end given the rust.
Well looking at the state of your nuts, your sausage (salad) fingers and previous history with this particular job I think they'd have just twisted and stripped straight off! [emoji23][emoji23]
It's frustrating that we're so far away from each other because otherwise I'd be round with some tools. I could do with a good laugh right now...[emoji2]

delhusband

Quote from: "Call the midlife!"It's frustrating that we're so far away from each other because otherwise I'd be round with some tools. I could do with a good laugh right now...[emoji2]
Free beers and good food in it if you're ever North of the wall. I'll even throw in a couple of guided tours of some local twisties   s:D :D s:D
Hate pointy animals

Call the midlife!

Quote from: "Call the midlife!"It's frustrating that we're so far away from each other because otherwise I'd be round with some tools. I could do with a good laugh right now...[emoji2]
Free beers and good food in it if you're ever North of the wall. I'll even throw in a couple of guided tours of some local twisties   s:D :D s:D
The 500 and/or 250 are on my list for next year so I'll drop by! Got my Retrorun tickets for the Silverstone Classic yesterday too.

delhusband

Midlife, did you notice the rainbow in the piccie of the car getting towed away? I was going to make another Pokemon reference but thought better of it   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Hate pointy animals

Call the midlife!

Midlife, did you notice the rainbow in the piccie of the car getting towed away? I was going to make another Pokemon reference but thought better of it   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
I was too busy wondering what a Skaffen was and what that lovely wood chisel must look like now![emoji23]

delhusband

Quote from: "Call the midlife!"I was too busy wondering what a Skaffen was and what that lovely wood chisel must look like now![emoji23]
Chisel looks a bit like this...
[attachment=1:yhivsr31] ia1 IMG_0058.JPG ia1 [/attachment:yhivsr31]
Skaffen Amtiskaw - Character from the book "Use of Weapons" by Iain M. Banks
[attachment=0:yhivsr31] ia0 untitled.png ia0 [/attachment:yhivsr31]
It's a great book. Sci-Fi, not everyone's bag, but I love it. The character is a Silver, floating, suitcase sized "drone" with extreme agility, razor sharp wit, a dark sense of humour, but murderous tendencies - a bit like my two on a greasy road, and the way it hacked my hands to bits with it's rusty parts.
Hate pointy animals

Call the midlife!

Quote from: "Call the midlife!"I was too busy wondering what a Skaffen was and what that lovely wood chisel must look like now![emoji23]
Chisel looks a bit like this...
[attachment=1:kigcqkcl] ia1 IMG_0058.JPG ia1 [/attachment:kigcqkcl]
Skaffen Amtiskaw - Character from the book "Use of Weapons" by Iain M. Banks
[attachment=0:kigcqkcl] ia0 untitled.png ia0 [/attachment:kigcqkcl]
It's a great book. Sci-Fi, not everyone's bag, but I love it. The character is a Silver, floating, suitcase sized "drone" with extreme agility, razor sharp wit, a dark sense of humour, but murderous tendencies - a bit like my two on a greasy road, and the way it hacked my hands to bits with it's rusty parts.
Aaaah, all makes perfect sense to me! Although that chisel makes me sad...

paulj

Midlife, whilst you are off topic am I the only person that spotted you put nuts, sausage and stripped off in a post without attracting the attention of the moderators....
Today
2000 x reg pfl - blue - as original no mods
In the late 1980's
1982 x reg Toyota Corolla Liftback Coupe (also blue)
1978 s reg Mitsubishi Celeste Coupe (yellow)

Call the midlife!

It occurred to me that you ought to have one of these for your next track session, you being a super geek and all! It beats my Panda head!

Call the midlife!

Quote from: "paulj"Midlife, whilst you are off topic am I the only person that spotted you put nuts, sausage and stripped off in a post without attracting the attention of the moderators....
Haha! Well one or all of three things spring to mind.
It's Derek's own thread we're spamming, we're both as daft as each other and I think by now they're at the tutting and looking away stage...

delhusband

Quote from: "paulj"am I the only person that spotted you put nuts, sausage and stripped off in a post without attracting the attention of the moderators....
Lol!
Hate pointy animals

delhusband

Came home to find car returned and new chain tensioner fitted. I'll get out and about in it tomorrow, for the first time in a couple of weeks  s:) :) s:)
Hate pointy animals

Tags: