My Silver '06

Started by delhusband, May 13, 2017, 11:42

Chilli Girl

Derek, the seatbelt covers look upside down to me?  Or have I had one two many? :D  :)
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

delhusband

Quote from: Chilli Girl on June 12, 2018, 20:24
Derek, the seatbelt covers look upside down to me?  Or have I had one two many? :D  :)
Jane they're fabulous any way round :)
Hate pointy animals

paulj

Nice work!

The photo with the headlamps has given me a crazy idea that (based on your posts) might be just up your street.  The old one is sort of in the middle of the car, so how about working out a way of fitting it like the old third spotlights on 1960s rally cars!!!!

One for the winter maintenance perhaps - or one to consign to the bin of another mad owner's mind....

Always great to hear what you are up to.
Today
2000 x reg pfl - blue - as original no mods
In the late 1980's
1982 x reg Toyota Corolla Liftback Coupe (also blue)
1978 s reg Mitsubishi Celeste Coupe (yellow)

BahnStormer

The only person they really matter to is the driver.... and they'll look the right way up when he looks down at them :)
Black 2006: AC & heated leather: 4x Megillian braces, Koni/Tein custom suspension, MTEC+YS+braided brakes, Toyosports manifold, TTE exhaust, Conti PremiumContact2(summer)/ Conti TS860S(winter) / YokoAD08RS (track/summer), Pioneer MVH-390BT + TS-E171ci, FBSW, Robbins mohair hood.

Call the midlife!

+1 ^^^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
60% of the time it works everytime...

Call the midlife!

Quote from: delhusband on June 12, 2018, 20:07
Fitted the new headlight I got at DD (Cheers Tricky :) ) Gave it a quick rub down with T-cut and it looks brand new, fantastic! Old scratched unit out from my epic fail of an attempt at polishing.

Ding Day was brilliant. Won/bought a new Cone filter at the auction. This is my new favourite toy. Have I done a professional job of fitment? No. Is it in the optimal position to acquire cool air? No. Does eet sound a beet, shall we say, cheeky? Mais oui! ;D
Derek B in da house!
The ting goes skrrrahh, pap, pap, ka-ka-ka
Skibiki-pap-pap, and a pu-pu-pudrrrr-boom
Skya, du-du-ku-ku-dun-dun
Poom, poom

I've also go some nice seatbelt covers in the auction - nice & comfy and themed appropriately! (Cheers Jane!  :) )

delhusband

Quote from: Call the midlife! on June 12, 2018, 20:47
Poom, poom

Mad, innit!  :P
Hate pointy animals

Call the midlife!

Quote from: delhusband on June 12, 2018, 20:58
Poom, poom

I wouldn't know, it's the one mod I'm leaving well alone, I think it would be out of place on my car with it being fairly standard...

delhusband

Quote from: Call the midlife! on June 12, 2018, 21:01
Poom, poom

I wouldn't know, it's the one mod I'm leaving well alone, I think it would be out of place on my car with it being fairly standard...

BAHAHAAA! Lol. But seriuosly bro, i sounds just like @tomaky s Porsche, only better!
Hate pointy animals

Call the midlife!

Quote from: delhusband on June 12, 2018, 21:02
Quote from: Call the midlife! on June 12, 2018, 21:01
Poom, poom

BAHAHAAA! Lol. But seriuosly bro, i sounds just like @tomaky s Porsche, only better!
Bro? You get me bro? Raw sauce, just sauce!
You're on the fast track now!

Bossworld

Looks well mate. Have to ask, your other old light doesn't look horrendous unless I'm missing something obvious?

Only asking as I've used a polishing kit on mine and swear I've made it ten fold worse

Call the midlife!

Quote from: Bossworld on June 12, 2018, 21:38
Looks well mate. Have to ask, your other old light doesn't look horrendous unless I'm missing something obvious?

Only asking as I've used a polishing kit on mine and swear I've made it ten fold worse
Del used 200 grit paper on his and almost set fire to it, he's basically been driving with cataracts ever since...

Bossworld

Quote from: Call the midlife! on June 12, 2018, 21:48

Del used 200 grit paper on his and almost set fire to it, he's basically been driving with cataracts ever since...

Ouch! I started with 800 and even after progressing through I'm not convinced it's clear!

delhusband

Hi Bossworld. i left the nearside light alone after making a hash of the offside. I was using the Autoglym kit which comes with a drill attachment and various grade discs, fr800, 1200, 1500 and 2000. It recommended using a fast drill speed, but this ended up burning the compound onto the sanding disc which caused it to skip on the surface (although i think it was also probably some flecks of dinitrol overspray from a recent underbody treatment which caught on the sanding pad as well. I tried to correct it by hand, which helped but then hairline fractures began to appear in the polycarbonate. So it was worse in the end. What i would do in hindsight now is start with tcut first if it is just mild yellowing, as was the case. This is what i used on the new lamp, as the surface was good and still transparent, just slightly discoloured.
Hate pointy animals

delhusband

Quote from: Call the midlife! on June 12, 2018, 21:48
Del used 200 grit paper on his and almost set fire to it, he's basically been driving with cataracts ever since..
Cheeky sod, im not that daft!  :thebird: :P well maybe a little. But i started with 800 honest :)
Hate pointy animals

Call the midlife!

Quote from: delhusband on June 12, 2018, 22:04

Hi Bossworld. i left the nearside light alone after making a hash of the offside. I was using the Autoglym kit which comes with a drill attachment and various grade discs, fr800, 1200, 1500 and 2000. It recommended using a fast drill speed, but this ended up burning the compound onto the sanding disc which caused it to skip on the surface (although i think it was also probably some flecks of dinitrol overspray from a recent underbody treatment which caught on the sanding pad as well. I tried to correct it by hand, which helped but then hairline fractures began to appear in the polycarbonate. So it was worse in the end. What i would do in hindsight now is start with tcut first if it is just mild yellowing, as was the case. This is what i used on the new lamp, as the surface was good and still transparent, just slightly discoloured.
To second Del's suggestion there's also the meguiars kit that comes with a couple of foam pads for really bad hazing and a wool type mop attachment for your drill.
Just lift the bonnet out of the way and mask off the wings before you start.

delhusband

Quote from: BahnStormer on June 12, 2018, 20:41
The only person they really matter to is the driver.... and they'll look the right way up when he looks down at them :)
Thank you sir! Thats exactly what decided it in the end, i can read them when sitting in the seat. But i did deliberate for a while before putting them on that way :)
Hate pointy animals

Bossworld

Quote from: Call the midlife! on June 12, 2018, 22:09
Quote from: delhusband on June 12, 2018, 22:04

To second Del's suggestion there's also the meguiars kit that comes with a couple of foam pads for really bad hazing and a wool type mop attachment for your drill.
Just lift the bonnet out of the way and mask off the wings before you start.

I previously did mine with Autosol and a cheap foam pad set that went into the drill, from eBay. That seemed to do the trick quite nicely but I saw a Holts kit on Carparts4less for about £13 so thought I'd try it.

Had some condensation build up in the passenger side so decided to remove both from the car to give me more space to work with on the floor.

As per del's issue, I found the cutting compound was causing it to skip about.

I then redid it all by hand, wet sanding just with plenty of water from 800 through to 3500. This was much better but once the compound was applied and cleaned off, they were clouding again.

Did it one more time, cleaned with 3m glass cleaner and applied the sealer spray straight away which left them clear, but I wouldn't say crystal clear and IMO they're probably worse than before I started lol

delhusband

Got round to sticking another DD auction win onto the car tonight. Put my £10 nappy on. Car had been looking a bit "true Scotsman" since the last one went on fire, melted and got removed.
Also treated all the rubber window seals with gummi phledge
Hate pointy animals

Call the midlife!

Quote from: delhusband on June 27, 2018, 20:03
Got round to sticking another DD auction win onto the car tonight. Put my £10 nappy on. Car had been looking a bit "true Scotsman" since the last one went on fire, melted and got removed.
Mate I feel proper tight, you could've gladly had a handful of those trimscrews I bought Sunday, never thought! (Still don't know if they're the right size mind you, they're still in the footwell where I chucked them).

delhusband

Quote from: Call the midlife! on June 27, 2018, 20:21
Quote from: delhusband on June 27, 2018, 20:03
Mate I feel proper tight, you could've gladly had a handful of those trimscrews I bought Sunday, never thought! (Still don't know if they're the right size mind you, they're still in the footwell where I chucked them).

No worries I already had MR2-Ben kit on order, and neither of us  were sure about screw sizes anways
Hate pointy animals

delhusband

Decided to put my cone filter back in and try and locate it a bit better this time - I'd taken it off the car a couple of weeks back - the car was struggling to start one morning - got a bit superstitious about it all - the cone was the only recent change - it had been raining heavy the night before - who knows, all a bit weird, but panel filter went back in and all was well.

Popped off to Halfords today to get a 70-90mm clamp to fix the filter properly to the cut-out air box section, and also bought a K&N Filter cleaning set

Cleaning was a case of spraying inside and out, leave to soak 10 minutes, rinse under gentle running cold tap and leave to dry. Then sprayed the oil on;

Re-assembled Cone and modified/cut out box section

Removed stock air box (2 stiff bolts) and air feed pipe

Tried to locate cone into heat shielded section, piping isn't long enough, but it's a bit better than last time I fitted it

Now that stock air box is out there's nothing supporting the coolant pipes - should I be securing them with cable ties/cable tie bases to crossmembers/plates?
Hate pointy animals

delhusband

Right, wish me luck, I've decided to have a go at wrapping an exhaust manifold. As always, youtube video by a wrap manufacturer made it look like a cinch.

Mind, I did find one vid where a reasonably competent looking chap had several attempts.  That's how it's going for me. Well, more attempts than that. 

The wrap fibres get everywhere - my jumper is glittering like a cheap Pound Shop Christmas card.

I've finished one section. Think I'll take this slow, and finish it over a few nights and take my time. 

Any tips on how to remove the existing manifold to head gasket are welcome - Stanley?

Hate pointy animals

Call the midlife!

That pink gunk is a worry, should only be a metal gasket on that face, when you get it clean sit a straight edge across it in a variety of places and make sure it's not warped.
Why not burn it off? Should make for good photos at least!
I see the Cath Kidston is taking a hammering again![emoji23]

delhusband

Quote from: Call the midlife! on September 25, 2018, 22:14
I see the Cath Kidston is taking a hammering again!
That doesn't sound like rhyming slang for Pinotage if that's what you mean. @Ardent has been clueing me up on rhyming slang for currency, but "Cath Kidston" didn't feature on the sheet. Explain please!  :-)
Hate pointy animals

Tags: