Most effective way to reduce understeer?

Started by Anonymous, February 6, 2005, 18:43

Anonymous

Hi,

I was out today in my car, having taken my spare wheel out and realsied that the car seems to understeer far more! I would however like to tighten it up! I know that there are a number of ways of doing this (ie top trut brace and under car braces, and astiffer anti roll bars) but what does anyone think from experience is the most effective?

Any advice would bve greatly received!

Regards

Dom

Anonymous

We were only just talking about this today.... sort of!

I would have to say front strut brace is the best mod i have made, and will sort out your handling prob for about less than £100. It seams to make the front wheels bite into the road alot more!

Get one now... well tomorrow!

MRMike

s:?: :?: s:?:  Put the speare back in?   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
and den....black S2000 with red leather interior  
and den.... New Imola Orange S2000
and den.....BMW Z4 3.0 - Understeer!!!![/size]
NOW M3 V8

SimonC_Here

GB on the Cusco Coley   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Simon

loadswine

GB for a front strut brace sounds lie a good idea.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Anonymous

Hi
I have put the spare back in now, but would still like to reduce the amount of understeer! Thicker rear sway bars and adjusting the toe of the wheels have been suggested!

kanujunkie

as others have said strut brace, but after having TTE springs fitted last week it really is the best way of sorting this out once and for all in my mind, i'd save your money up and get the springs done
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

MRMike

Quote from: "Dominic_Gregory"I have put the spare back in now, but would still like to reduce the amount of understeer! Thicker rear sway bars and adjusting the toe of the wheels have been suggested!

First thing to get is a corky anti-flex plate.  After fitting that and some lowering springs, and a strut brace the car will not understeer! In-fact the standard 2 doesn't understeer much at all in the general scheme of things....if your entering a corner and experiencing understeer you need to enter a bit slower. Or alternatively get on the power to balance it out.
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
NOW M3 V8

Anonymous

Hi, can i ask why the cusco strut brace rather than a trd one (which i personally prefer)? If a gb goes ahead, keep me posted please!

MRMike

The cusco is cheaper, and people have had good experiences with them.  However the mounting points are not as sturdy as those on the TRD.  You pays your money you makes your choice!

Then.. Blue 350Z
NOW M3 V8

markiii

people liek teh cusco because you can still retain teh bin lid.

the easierst way to reduce understeer is to drop teh front tyre pressure a couple of PSI
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

kanujunkie

s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  now thats a cheap mod if ever i heard of one, at most a few quid for a tyre px guage
[size=100]Stu[/size]

filcee

What markiii said.  In fact, over the last week or so, the handling on mine has been much more rear-wheel biased - even stepping out slightly under mild throttle in corners/roundabouts.  On Friday I checked the tyre pressures and put them back to 'stock'.  Now it seems to handle much more like a FWD grocery-getter (i.e. 'safe').  I'm considering dropping the front pressures slightly to rectify this.
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

Tem

My understeer got reduced a lot when I changed the fronts to 195/50/15. IIRC, my tyre pressures are 25/30, which made wonders on S03's, but I'm not sure if tyres with softer sidewalls would be happy...

Go and play with the pressures, you might find something you like and learn a bit about their effect on the handling  s8) 8) s8)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

juansolo

Less pressure in the front tyres.
[size=75]Porsche Cayman - Curvy (almost) perfection
Juno SSE-CN - Bonkers track thing
Mercedes 190E - Das Uberbarge still going strong[/size]

kanujunkie

Quote from: "markiii"the easierst way to reduce understeer is to drop the front tyre pressure a couple of PSI
[size=100]Stu[/size]

mph

Quote from: "markiii"the easierst way to reduce understeer is to drop the front tyre pressure a couple of PSI
Correction, the easiest way to reduce understeer is stop using the steering wheel so much for the given level traction.   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  From purely a driving point of view, your two remdies are either going into the corner slower or trailing the rear to provide the necessary additional rotation. In any case, smoother driving will help reduce dynamic loading. Can anyone say North Weald?   s:) :) s:)
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

mrsmr2

Quote from: "markiii"Can anyone say North Weald?   s:) :) s:)

After next Monday I will be able to say "yes".

I haven't got completely used to where the car will understeer just yet.  There are times when travelling quickly on a wide bend and I lift, the car runs  wide!  Only car I've driven that does that.

Also, the front often feels like it is understeering through a bend (or the turn in point), then it bites under power - and I think it's going to oversteer.

Still, that's why I bought the car - because it takes time to master.
04 Astral Black, hard top, air con, black leather, Corky\'s MSMB; FSB;  RMB; RLCB, empty exhaust manifold, cg-lock.  Warranty: new wheels @ 20k, new pads and discs @ 21k, new wheels @ 26.4k

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"people liek the cusco because you can still retain the bin lid.

Isnt that an urban myth? I have the Cusco bar and you have to removed the bin lid.

SimonC_Here

Sean has the Cusco AND his bin lid, you just can't open it the normal way, you have to pull it off its hinges and out under the bar.

Simon

Anonymous

Quote from: "SimonC_Here"Sean has the Cusco AND his bin lid, you just can't open it the normal way, you have to pull it off its hinges and out under the bar.

Simon

I think we'll call that a draw then, Yes you can keep the lid but  its a bit of a pain   s:) :) s:)

SimonC_Here

Quote from: "RaGE"
Quote from: "SimonC_Here"Sean has the Cusco AND his bin lid, you just can't open it the normal way, you have to pull it off its hinges and out under the bar.

Simon

I think we'll call that a draw then, Yes you can keep the lid but  its a bit of a pain   s:) :) s:)

Oh go on then.   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Simon

Anonymous

Check out http://www.rogerkrausracing.com/overundr.html for a list of possible remedies for both under and oversteer.

Anonymous

Thanks for the link, very informative!

mrsmr2

But, doesn't it say raise front tyre pressure to reduce understeer?

Or am I reading it wrong?
04 Astral Black, hard top, air con, black leather, Corky\'s MSMB; FSB;  RMB; RLCB, empty exhaust manifold, cg-lock.  Warranty: new wheels @ 20k, new pads and discs @ 21k, new wheels @ 26.4k

Tags: