Goodyear F1 GSD3 205x55x15's ????

Started by Anonymous, February 10, 2005, 21:49

Anonymous

Can someone give me some advice please
I need to change my tyres on my 2001 mr2, thing is I have the choice of the Bridegstone Potenza RE040, Goodyear F1 GSD3 or the Yokohama A043.
In the tyre's sticky the F1's come out best, but they don't come in 205x50x15's for the back, people are fitting 205x55x15's instead.

Should I fit the f1's using 205x55x15's on the back or fit the correct size using the yoko's or bridgestone's?

Bongo

You could also get Toyo Proxes?

Anonymous

Long story but I can't have the Toyo's, the place thats replacing the ones currently fitted don't stock them

heathstimpson

I think that the Bridgestones are better that the Yoko's if you want to go for exact sizes.
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

markiii

don't know of anyone that has gone 205/55/15 in teh F1s and I wouldn't recomend it

the sidewalls are too soft.

potenzas are better in the wet than yokos, but are generally crap and tramline.

personally I'd order proxies T1-R's from camskill and just pay your tyre place to fit them.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Tem

Quote from: "plinc"Should I fit bridgestone's?

Yes  s8) 8) s8)  Bridgestone Potenza S03's, 195/50/15 and 205/50/15  s8) 8) s8)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Cheers for the advice,
I spoke to the tyre place and they said they would fit the proxies if I got them, so I'll probably go for them after all

heathstimpson

Quote from: "plinc"Cheers for the advice,
I spoke to the tyre place and they said they would fit the proxies if I got them, so I'll probably go for them after all
Definately your best option matey  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

IMHO you get what you pay for...

GY F1 and SP9000 are currently the only serious challengers to S03s.

The sidewalls on the S03 are very stiff like those found on slick tyres. You don't even need to extra-inflate them when doing track days. The advantage is very high response and accuracy in cornering. The negative side is less comfort.

All the S03 users I know who tried Toyo Proxes have said exactly the same: the Proxes are good when new but pretty crap once worn -- they also wear down much quicker than the S03s. They've all gone back to S03.

Best advice is to shop around and try and get the S03 cheaper (I usually pay less than 300 quid for the four tires fitted and balanced.)

I use S03 for everyday driving and for rainy track days.

For sunny & dry track days, I am going to start using Toyo Proxes R888 (semi slicks).

Anonymous

I have just fitted yoko's on the back of mine as when i bought the car there was yokos on the front but dunlops on the back!! I have found that the handling has improoved vastly !! I put the yoko's on cause i can get them for pritty good money paid £45 each inc fitting!!  s8) 8) s8)

Tags: