Quiet at work, so I made this from a second hand air filter box off eBay!

Started by stchris356, July 21, 2017, 14:20

stchris356

With the help of a Bremel [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Just going to spend an hour on the car !!!!!!!

The Other Stu

I'm afraid there's a "but" here.
It'll have the same problem as my expensive eliseparts one.
The box also has a couple of bits of plastic that direct the airflow over the MAF. Without them, the car will sound like it's struggling for breath.
Here's a dissection. They're called "vanes" apparently
No Longer Here

m1tch

I was about to say that I had cut up my spare airbox but was VERY careful to retain the OEM velocity stack and vanes otherwise the airflow is too turbulent around the MAF, I am afraid to say that you might have just junked the MAF tube.

shnazzle

Arguably you could make sure that there's enough straight pipe on both sides before bending onto the throttle body. That should be enough to straighten up the airflow.
So possibly not a lost cause

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
...neutiquam erro.

stchris356

I fitted it this evening and went for a decent run,  to be fair I can't say I noticed any drop in performance  and it sounds pretty good  at about 4500 rpm !

Sent from my SM-T560 using Tapatalk

shnazzle

It certainly does! Where did you fit the filter? Just straight from the throttle body and behind the battery?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
...neutiquam erro.

stchris356

At the moment as low down as possible behind the heat shield where the filter box was.
I've ordered a K&N and a longer pipe so I can run down behind the battery as near to the air scoop as possible.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Tags: