Blue PFL V8 conversion

Started by 8thumpers, January 14, 2018, 00:39

8thumpers

Quote from: StuC on February 16, 2018, 23:21
Nice bit of progress there fella. [emoji3][emoji3][emoji3][emoji3]

That is a big hole! Just sayin'

How close are you to the bulkhead are you with the front of the engine now?
Cambelt covers go thru the position of where bulkhead was and into cabin area by about 30mm. It's not massively intrusive at all but I'm going to leave plenty of room so I'll be able to change cambelt in future without dropping the engine.

It is well worth chopping it out I think - fabricating another bulkhead will be easy enough and it will all be hidden by the oem storage compartment doors 

shnazzle

Hope you're going to get some good heat insulation in whatever bulkhead you make :) Sh1t go'n git HOT
...neutiquam erro.

Topdownman

Quote from: shnazzle on February 17, 2018, 08:43
Hope you're going to get some good heat insulation in whatever bulkhead you make :) Sh1t go'n git HOT

I was just going to post something very similar to this. You are probably not going to need a heater!

Making fantastic progress on this, I fully expect to see it at Ding Day now.
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

8thumpers

Cheers guys...
I am going to create enough airgap between firewall and engine to get a good airflow through there - probably fit an air scoop down there to help the flow too.
And insulate as well!

StuC

Quote from: 8thumpers on February 16, 2018, 20:41
Need a dimension please guys....
Im looking for the distance from underside of chassis rail - where the rear subframe bolts up to - down to the ground.
I appreciate this may vary a little from car to car but that doesn't matter too much.

TIA :)

Ok, had a stab at this earlier...

LeftHand Side

Dimension to floor 352mm, see below.

RHS

Dimension to floor 357mm, see below.

Ground is level with stock shocks which were changed this time last year, for reference.

Hope that helps Otto. [emoji3]
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

8thumpers

Quote from: StuC on February 17, 2018, 21:43
Quote from: 8thumpers on February 16, 2018, 20:41
Need a dimension please guys....
Im looking for the distance from underside of chassis rail - where the rear subframe bolts up to - down to the ground.
I appreciate this may vary a little from car to car but that doesn't matter too much.

TIA :)

Ok, had a stab at this earlier...

LeftHand Side

Dimension to floor 352mm, see below.

RHS

Dimension to floor 357mm, see below.

Ground is level with stock shocks which were changed this time last year, for reference.

Hope that helps Otto. [emoji3]
That is fantastic. Cheers mate!

shnazzle

...neutiquam erro.

StuC

@shnazzle  Any excuse to get Banana into other people's threads. 😉

8thumpers

Having worked to Stu's dimensions, I have determined the lowest part of the Engine is  138mm from the ground - the chassis rails under the seats are exactly the same.
Looks like I have finalised the height of the engine! Cheers Stu :)

StuC

Good news. Best to avoid those pillow speed humps all the same!!

Which component is the lowest point! Bell housing?

8thumpers

Quote from: StuC on February 18, 2018, 01:04
Good news. Best to avoid those pillow speed humps all the same!!

Which component is the lowest point! Bell housing?
Nearly, the casting on engine is just lower than the gearbox bellhousing and level with the sump bottom. I may just put a sump guard on it

jonbill

Won't this engine be heavier than Stu's? And so lower?

8thumpers

Last night was spent doing design Work on engine mounts, gear selector and hub carrier.

The big issue with engine cross member is how to fit it so it can be removed downwards to drop the Engine and still provide enough strength by hanging it on top of the chassis rails - a la oem installation. 

I have come up with making it in three pieces that bolt together. The lower central section will unbolt from the 2 side pieces and then it can all drop out while the Engine is suspended from above.

StuC

@jonbill

I think that will have some bearing on the overall height. Especially with any extra bracing/powertrain support that's needed.

What suspension are you planning on running? Coilovers would prolly give you some needed adjustability.

8thumpers

Quote from: jonbill on February 18, 2018, 09:29
Won't this engine be heavier than Stu's? And so lower?
I can adjust ride height with the coilovers so shouldn't be a problem [emoji106]

8thumpers

Quote from: StuC on February 18, 2018, 09:38
@jonbill

I think that will have some bearing on the overall height. Especially with any extra bracing/powertrain support that's needed.

What suspension are you planning on running? Coilovers would prolly give you some needed adjustability.
Took the words right out of my thumbs! Lol
See first pics at start of thread for coilovers. MEISTER R

StuC

Quote from: 8thumpers on February 18, 2018, 09:37
Last night was spent doing design Work on engine mounts, gear selector and hub carrier.

The big issue with engine cross member is how to fit it so it can be removed downwards to drop the Engine and still provide enough strength by hanging it on top of the chassis rails - a la oem installation. 

I have come up with making it in three pieces that bolt together. The lower central section will unbolt from the 2 side pieces and then it can all drop out while the Engine is suspended from above.

Are the engine mounts going to come from this structure too?

8thumpers

Quote from: StuC on February 18, 2018, 10:08
Quote from: 8thumpers on February 18, 2018, 09:37

Are the engine mounts going to come from this structure too?
Yes once it's offered up I can get some correct lengths back to the block - the mounts will be tube welded onto this frame with a urethane bush back to a plate bolted onto the block

StuC

I guess my initial concern is the foot print onto the chassis rail. 30mm x 3mm is not a lot. Is there a reason you have chosen 3mm plate?

Would you be looking to mount the engine mounts off the side sections or the bottom section?
I ask as the centre section is less than 400mm wide and I'd imagine the sump is prolly 200mm wide. Doesn't leave a lot of space to get up the side of the engine.
Can you take a photo showing the mounting point to the block versus the chassis rail? To gauge width and relative heights? (If you don't mind that is) ;-)

8thumpers

Quote from: StuC on February 18, 2018, 12:44
I guess my initial concern is the foot print onto the chassis rail. 30mm x 3mm is not a lot. Is there a reason you have chosen 3mm plate?

Would you be looking to mount the engine mounts off the side sections or the bottom section?
I ask as the centre section is less than 400mm wide and I'd imagine the sump is prolly 200mm wide. Doesn't leave a lot of space to get up the side of the engine.
Can you take a photo showing the mounting point to the block versus the chassis rail? To gauge width and relative heights? (If you don't mind that is) ;-)
The drawing doesn't tell the whole story...
The 3mm angled plate will bolt sideways AND downwards into the chassis rail - so it's not just relying on the vertical resistance of the plate.
I think I may go to 4mm with it tho....

8thumpers

It's not too bad for space up the side and a balance between clearing the manifolds and still maintaining strength by having an angle. The engine V is not as tight as the rail angle so does give room.

I'll mock up a rail and get a pic..

8thumpers

The bulkhead chassis cross member is made and temp fitted to check for size.
This is to replace the strength taken out when I chopped out the bulkhead and cross member behind the fueltank.

StuC

Is that going to be tied into the body in other places too?

8thumpers

I also mocked up the engine support cross member out of plywood.
The design is pretty much spot on. I will be using 4mm chassis mounting plates instead of the original 3mm.
I also need to replicate the left hand oem chassis box, on the right side.
I'll get this member made in tube and then finalise the dimensions of the engine mounts which will be mounted off it.

8thumpers

Quote from: StuC on February 21, 2018, 23:33
Is that going to be tied into the body in other places too?
Yes, I'll build the new bulkhead off it and also run it into the side of the chassis under the cills. The floor will be welded to it too.

Tags: