Axle stand points???

Started by MR2Adam, March 28, 2018, 15:04

MR2Adam

Getting my wheels refurbished next week and need to get the car up off the ground with no wheels on.

For the front, I don't have access to a jack that can reach the front central jacking point so one at a time I will jack each side of the car up using the jack the car comes with.

Are there any other parts of the car at the front or the rear of the MR2 that I could use to use to put an axle stand other than the 4 main points? 

JoeCool

So you need to leave the car on 4 axle stands?

Jack the front up side by side, then use a trolley jack to get to the central jack please into and lift it properly. Then put an axle stand under each front sill jacking point.

Then jack the rear from the engine mount on the cross member, and put an axle stand each side on the rear sill jacking point. Be careful not to put them on the wing, too far back, you will bend them.

If you don't have a trolley jack, get one. You can't lift a car safely without one.
2ZZ '02 Roadster

Carolyn

+1 on getting a trolley jack.

I'd advise... trying to avoid the sill jacking points, if at all possible.

To get a jack under as far as the chassis rails in the front, (on an older car best not to test the sills...).

Try driving the front wheels up onto some 2x4 lumps of wood.  Then you should be able to get in with your jack.

I put jack-stands at the point where the suspension meets the chassis at the front and at the heavy brackets that hold the trailing arm to the chassis at the rear...
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

MR2Adam

That is some very good thinking, thanks!

Want another jack now...

MR2Adam

Quote from: Carolyn on March 28, 2018, 18:43
+1 on getting a trolley jack.

I'd advise... trying to avoid the sill jacking points, if at all possible.

To get a jack under as far as the chassis rails in the front, (on an older car best not to test the sills...).

Try driving the front wheels up onto some 2x4 lumps of wood.  Then you should be able to get in with your jack.

I put jack-stands at the point where the suspension meets the chassis at the front and at the heavy brackets that hold the trailing arm to the chassis at the rear...

When it comes to the 4 points where it says to use axle stands, I've got ones with a rubber block on top with a cut out that doesn't touch the seams that run along the sill. Definitely worth having!

SombreroPeak

Just an example of the risk of sill jacking:

Last year my brakes failed due to the power steering pipes. Against my better judgement I took it to the garage closest to me which I had never used before. I'd also bought some new brake lines so asked them to do it all. I was very happy with the job, but it wasn't until months later that I noticed the rear drivers side seam as well as the body, pushed up. Because it was so much later I couldn't go back to them and complain because I doubt they'd believe me. But, I know my car, and I never left it from there...and I knew it was not damaged before. It ticks me off every time I think of it and I kick myself for not checking at the time.
\'N-chilada\' 2003 Chili Red, Black Leather interior

MR2Adam

Quote from: SombreroPeak on March 30, 2018, 09:16
Just an example of the risk of sill jacking:

Last year my brakes failed due to the power steering pipes. Against my better judgement I took it to the garage closest to me which I had never used before. I'd also bought some new brake lines so asked them to do it all. I was very happy with the job, but it wasn't until months later that I noticed the rear drivers side seam as well as the body, pushed up. Because it was so much later I couldn't go back to them and complain because I doubt they'd believe me. But, I know my car, and I never left it from there...and I knew it was not damaged before. It ticks me off every time I think of it and I kick myself for not checking at the time.

That's not good to hear...

But if I may ask, did they jack up and use axle stands on the seam right at the end of them (i.e right under the wings and not the main part of the sill) and not on the small cut outs as to where it says to put them?

SombreroPeak

I didn't watch them do the work, but the damage is at the very rear of the sill. I'm guessing that they put the lift pad at that corner in the wrong place as all the others are fine.
\'N-chilada\' 2003 Chili Red, Black Leather interior

Tags: