Modifying Manifold

Started by Bongo, February 28, 2005, 19:43

Bongo

I had an idea this weekend, could be crazy but i don't really know.

Can any think of any problems (if you can find someone who is capable) with cutting the precat section of the manifold out and replacing it with pipe, in effect turning a standard manifold into a TRD one?

I know someone who may be able to do this kind of thing, but the fact it hasn't been done before tells me i'm probably missing something   s:? :? s:?

heathstimpson

I've got my removed manifold that the studs snapped on to maybe try  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  Mark  s:?: :?: s:?:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

markiii

Grant looked at it, and decided it was too awkward to sleev it, however, in theory what yoru suggesting is possible. you woul probably spend more than it's worth though.

I wouldn't expect much in the way of gains whatever the cost.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

GSB

I wanted to sleeve the insides of the chambers to make the diameters even and keep gas velocity constant, whilst they would remain visually unchanged on the outside. It wasnt really possible though.

The idea of cutting out the chambers altogether and welding in decent sized tube has great promise though. It'll certainly be a worthwhile mod. It's probabley not economically viable if your the sort of person wo couldn't weld 2 pieces of cheese together, but if you know a welder, or you can do it yourself, then you could have a manifold as good as the £600 TRD one, for the price of a few bits of tube and some tig wire...

It so happens that I'm about to take delivery of a nice Tig set here at work, and after a bit of re-familiarisation (its been years since I picked up a tig lance!), I intend to have a go myself, but I need a manifold to work on. I have a decatted one bolted to my car, and a brand new '04 manifold that I'd rather leave alone welding wise, but that will serve quite nicely for making up a jig to ensure that the 2 flanges stay in the right postition. Once I have the jig, then I'm going to have to hunt down a spare manifold to play with...
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Bongo

Well I know someone who owns a reasonable sized company that does lots of work with stainless steel and welding. I'll have a word and see what I can come up with.   s:) :) s:)

heathstimpson

Quote from: "Bongo"Well I know someone who owns a reasonable sized company that does lots of work with stainless steel and welding. I'll have a word and see what I can come up with.   s:) :) s:)
I have mates in my company that do it for a living so should be able to help out if needbe  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Jap GT300

For comparison, I only paid £20 to have the gasket of the 2ZZ manifold welded to the 1ZZ manifold

Tags: