Watching Video on PC from Internet Sites Question

Started by heathstimpson, February 28, 2005, 20:20

heathstimpson

A quick question for one of the numerous ICT experts on here please. If I get links to watch video clips on various sites and view on broadband at work all is fine. If I then view at home through dial up on an older version of Windows it will run for a few seconds then stop. If I then refresh it will start and run a bit longer. To see the whole lot I have to keep refreshing until the whole lot is in the temporary memory I assume. Is there anything I can do to watch as normal or is the problem the dial up data transfer rate  s:?: :?: s:?:  Thanks  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

mrsmr2

I think its a bandwidth issue.  I never run movie clips in that way - including broadband.

Try right click and save as.
04 Astral Black, hard top, air con, black leather, Corky\'s MSMB; FSB;  RMB; RLCB, empty exhaust manifold, cg-lock.  Warranty: new wheels @ 20k, new pads and discs @ 21k, new wheels @ 26.4k

Anonymous

2 options, 1... what he said, save it first.

2... if you're using something like Windows Media Player, pause it the moment it starts playing, then wait as the bar grows indicatating it's downloading... wait until it gets to the end then press play.

Anonymous

Yup, basically your dialup connection can't download the video as fast as you're viewing on the screen so as soon as the cached amount is viewed it cuts out.

You can either try to right click, save as, and download the whole lot or try and see if there's a lower quality version of the video on the site.

But with the prices of broadband these days if they do broadband where you live it might be worth getting.  £12.99 for a 512Kb service is a bargain.

heathstimpson

Thanks lads; I assumed as much. Some though have protection preventing it being saved. I will be going over to broadband as soon as I upgrade my PC sometime in the next two months  s:? :? s:?

Chris

Quote from: "Andy100"£12.99 for a 512Kb service is a bargain.

That's not too bad, although I use wanadoo 1Mb for £17.99pm.
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

heathstimpson

Quote from: "Chris"
Quote from: "Andy100"£12.99 for a 512Kb service is a bargain.

That's not too bad, although I use wanadoo 1Mb for £17.99pm.
Which provider is £12.99 a month for 512kb  s:?: :?: s:?:

Bongo

Plusnet do 2Mbs for £14.99 a month and are currently trialling 8Mbs for the same price. It is limited to 1Gigabyte a month transfer though.

m http://www.plus.net/ m

Chris

awesome!!  i think that will have to be checked out!!!   s:D :D s:D
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

Anonymous

1 Gig a month?!?!?  Eeep I've used more than that in a day.

heathstimpson

Quote from: "Andy100"1 Gig a month?!?!?  Eeep I've used more than that in a day.
For general use for say three hours a day with some downloading roughtly how mant Gig would I be using within a monthly period  s:?: :?: s:?:

Bongo

More than a gig a month I reckon, but you should be fine with a 15 or 30 gig a month package (as most seem to be now).

BT are upgrading mine to 2Mbs for free next week   s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

I use my line to serve up a small website, host my own email, used for homeworking, and all the usual surfing and the like, and I get through about 7Gig/month.

heathstimpson

Quote from: "Bongo"More than a gig a month I reckon, but you should be fine with a 15 or 30 gig a month package (as most seem to be now).

What do BT charge you for 2Mbs and is it for unlimited or limited downloading  s:?: :?: s:?:

Anonymous

Quote from: "heathstimpson"
Quote from: "Bongo"More than a gig a month I reckon, but you should be fine with a 15 or 30 gig a month package (as most seem to be now).

What do BT charge you for 2Mbs and is it for unlimited or limited downloading  s:?: :?: s:?:

Heath, almost all ISPs are moving to some sort of usage limit... BT currently charge:

17.99 for 512K, 1GB quota
24.99 for 2Mb, 15GB quota
26.99 for 2Mb, 15GB quota, and email and things for the less tech savvy.

That's a fair bit cheaper for the 2Mb than my ISP, plus.net.... they charge either 14.99 for 2Mb but with 1GB Quota, or 39.99 for 2Mb but with 75Gb Quota.

Now bearing in mind opinions and arseholes and the like, if I were in your shoes, I'd either plump for a months notice on BT at 26.99, or if you can... hold out a bit longer until Max DSL is rolled out, and then see how much that changes the market (Because it should.  Lots).

heathstimpson

When is this Max DSL system likely to be introduced roughly then Phil  s:?: :?: s:?:

Anonymous

It should all be starting in April, though how long it'll take BT to roll it out nationwide is anyone's guess.   If you go with a months contract, you should at least be able to up and move should it work out cheaper after Max DSL is out.

heathstimpson

Is 1Mb fast enough for now  s:?: :?: s:?:  Carphone Warehouse are doing a deal for £14.99 a month with unlimited download and free national evening and weekend phonecalls which doesn't seem too bad. And why do all other phone sockets need filters installed  s:?: :?: s:?:

Tem

Quote from: "phil4"Heath, almost all ISPs are moving to some sort of usage limit... BT currently charge:

Does that quota mean you can only transfer 1/15GB per month?  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

markiii

yep
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Quote from: "Tem"
Quote from: "phil4"Heath, almost all ISPs are moving to some sort of usage limit... BT currently charge:

Does that quota mean you can only transfer 1/15GB per month?  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Yep, I guess they've ways of handling over the limit use, suchas slower speeds, or extra cost/Gb.

heathstimpson

No usage limit. Quote from site here:

For March only you can purchase 1Mb Broadband at £14.99 when you join any Talk Plan!†

With Talk 1+ you get unlimited free evening and weekend calls to all UK landlines and free calls to all other TalkTalk customers with a saving of £72 over a year. Combine that with unlimited 1MB broadband and save another £120!

Where else can you get 1Mb broadband and save on your home phone bill for less than the cost of 512Kbps broadband?

1Mbps Broadband offers you:
 20 x faster connection than dial-up
 UNLIMITED downloads
 FREE modem
 FREE connection
 FREE customer services helpline
 FREE evening and weekend calls to all UK landlines

Sound good Phil  s:?: :?: s:?:

Anonymous

It does, but I'd be wary of a few things (call me a cynic):

1) I beleive the minimum contract is 12 months, in which time the market will have changed a lot, with perhaps even 8Mbit second available.

2) Read the T&Cs carefully when it comes to "unlimited downloads", they may have allowed themselves to add a cap, or it may be capped using techniques such as port blocking and packet shaping, or even by just allowing all customers to limit each other by forcing them to share an overloaded pipe.

3) Check the phone part of the package is what you want/need.

I'm often wary of people offering much better/cheaper offers in this arena, as it's so closely fought it's usually something very dodgy that's not being mentioned.

God luck!

Tags: