Side Vents Meshing

Started by Anonymous, March 1, 2005, 09:40

Anonymous

Just thought i would let everybody know about the side vents if anyone is thinking of meshing them. I received my lovely side vents packed very well (Thanks Die) and began to read the article on meshing the side vents on this site. Please, any body else that is doing these be careful as it is not as easy as it sounds....as I found out.

It is good fun, but you can really muck this up. I started cutting the plastic mesh out at the base of the stem with a scissors. Obviously the scissors could not cut right at the bottom of the stem without leaving anything remaining. The small stumps were sticking out which looks very ugly and are extremely hard to remove and very easy to see. Please also be careful because as you are cutting, you will most probably scratch the smooth plastic inside the vent.

The stumps could not be removed any further without actually scratching etc, so I came up with the idea of using a soldering iron. Basically let it heat up, and just before it got too hot, I started easing the stumps off. Once they were off you could smooth the area over with the iron as the plastic is melting. If done steadily and slowly, the damage is not visible when the vent is on.

It is a lot harder than the article suggests, so I would take care while doing this and while cutting try not to scratch the plastic.

Tags: