What do we think of Road Angel 2?

Started by Anonymous, March 1, 2005, 21:45

Anonymous

I'm enjoying my new car but I'm worried about not knowing where the *ahem* accident blackspots are. Does anyone use a system like Road Angel 2? Recommended?

I've been looking on ebay and I can pick up a second hand one for £200 odd and pay the extra for the subscription.

Cheers
Michael

Anonymous

I wouldn't be without my original RoadAngel. It's well worth the money.

GSB

Its brilliant. Wouldn't be without it...

[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

heathstimpson

Is that mounted in the dash tray Grant  s:?: :?: s:?:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

Snap!

GSB

Quote from: "heathstimpson"Is that mounted in the dash tray Grant  s:?: :?: s:?:

Yep. I used expanding filler and a couple of plastic bags to take a mold of the inside of the dash cubby and the outside of the Roadangel, and then covered the resultant chunk in a piece of spare leather. Laser detection is taken care of by a remote sensor in the grille, and the GPS reception is fine, so no external antenna was required. I did it over the course of a weekend as I had to wait for several successive "squirts" of foam to harden. Its not quite top notch, so one day I'll pull the leather off and re-so the front so its level and smooth, but it works perfectly, and you dont have to fart about taking it on and off the dash every time you park up.
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

Aren't there plans to ban radar detectors?

Anonymous

Grant, Where and how did you run the wiring?

GSB

Quote from: "DavidM"Grant, Where and how did you run the wiring?

If you remove the rubber mat from the cubby hole (its stuck down with a couple of adhesive strips) you will expose the plastic rear wall. Drill a 10mm hole in the lower right corner, and you can pass your cables up from beneath the dash.

You can then pick up an ignition switched power source from the rear of the cigarette lighter. A remote sensor wire can be passed through the big rubber grommet on the left side of the car, under the front bonnet. and into the passenger compartment behind the glovebox.

heathstimpson

Nice install Grant  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

Brilliant. Thanks for the replies. I'll have a look on ebay and see if I can pick one up at a good price.

Anonymous

Quote from: "GSB"
Quote from: "DavidM"Grant, Where and how did you run the wiring?

If you remove the rubber mat from the cubby hole (its stuck down with a couple of adhesive strips) you will expose the plastic rear wall. Drill a 10mm hole in the lower right corner, and you can pass your cables up from beneath the dash.

You can then pick up an ignition switched power source from the rear of the cigarette lighter. A remote sensor wire can be passed through the big rubber grommet on the left side of the car, under the front bonnet. and into the passenger compartment behind the glovebox.

Thanks Grant, I'll try that as soon as it gets dryer and warmer.

Anonymous

Quote from: "AndyR"Aren't there plans to ban radar detectors?

Yes, I think so - I was planning on getting the Road Angel Classic since without the radar detector option it will still be legal...or have I got that one wrong?

Col

GSB

Neither Road angel model detects radar, so they should still be ok. Laser detection may be made illegal too, but it can be turned off on the RA2, and I imagine blackspot will just market the laser-less version of the RA2 they sell in Australia where laser detectors are already illegal.

This new law could well turn out to be hot air anyway, it'll take a year before it comes into force, by which time it'll have been kicked around whitehhall for so long it'll be a toothless shadow of its former self. Plus we have a general Election coming up, and the ongoing persecution of drivers is bound to a hotly debated topic, with this new law undoubtedly being scrapped as a sacrificial vote winner...

God I hate this sodding country...  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Anonymous

Am I right in assuming the Road Angel 2 can be fitted with an external laser detection unit? If so, how much is the addition kit? (I see halfrauds have reduced the RA2 to £330, so getting cheaper   s:) :) s:)   ).

If the law is introduced to ban them, but you secreted   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  the unit out of site, then you should be ok. We all know the chances of being pulled over by plod are small; if he could see your RA2 then he would know you had one.

Andy

Anonymous

I have one for sale if anyone is interested?

Regards

Dominic

GSB

Quote from: "AndyR"Am I right in assuming the Road Angel 2 can be fitted with an external laser detection unit? If so, how much is the addition kit? (I see halfrauds have reduced the RA2 to £330, so getting cheaper   s:) :) s:)   ).

If the law is introduced to ban them, but you secreted   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  the unit out of site, then you should be ok. We all know the chances of being pulled over by plod are small; if he could see your RA2 then he would know you had one.

Andy

Yes you can. I have a laser module mounted in the grille just under the front number plate.

Anonymous

Quote from: "GSB"Yes you can. I have a laser module mounted in the grille just under the front number plate.

Grant, like a parrot I ask where did you run the wiring and how have you connected the device behind the grill?

GSB

Photos would probabley be handy here, but I dont have any,so you'll have to use your imagination.

First off all you remove the centre part of the front grille. This is easy as its held in with 2 phillips screws, and just slides out. You then mount the sensor to the pice of grille, using the parts provided. Remoce the underbonnet plastics, and route the cable around the left side of the car, and pass it through the big grommet in the passenger side bulkhead. If you have enough patience, and double jointed fingers, you will be able to drag it through from behind the glove box into the passenger footwell. It then just plugs into the back of the road angel. Once its all in you can tidy up the wire, and put the centre grille section back into the bumper.

Anonymous

I can also supply brand new Road Angel 2's at a very good price including insured next day delivery  s;) ;) s;)

Blackspot have a Road Angel 2 listed on thier web site without the laser module.  It's few quid cheaper to.

With regards to buying a second hand Road Angel 2 off of eba for around £200 why not buy a brand new one for just over £300 - buy the time you have paid £50 subs the difference in prices is only going to be about £40 but you get peace of mind of having a brand new unit with warrenty and you know the history of it (how many road Angel;s are nicked for example...).  Seems worth the additional few quid outlay!

J.

Anonymous

Anybody else having a problem with the hardwire fitting?

RoadAngel replaced mine a few weeks ago and this one is starting to sieze when removing, you can't really leave them connected all the time  s:? :? s:?  

(sorry to nick the thread  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  )

Anonymous

I'm on my second road angel, had the classic first and that was hard wired into my car and then I bought the second version which I've had hard wired in my last 2 cars without any bother at all.  My cars used a lot as well...

I've also hard wired quite a few in various cars for friends and friends of friends and a few of them are sales reps so they are powered on all the time and none of thme have had any problems.

Did you fit a fuse when you hard wired it?  Perhaps the power supply is a bit spikey in the mr2?  Out Mr2 is my wifes so the only time I put my road angel in it i use the fag light lead.

Just a thought!

J.

Tags: