Cruise Control

Started by nutjack, May 8, 2018, 13:38

nutjack

Is there an aftermarket Cruise control that is compatable with MR2 rodster?
Cheers nutjack
AKA, MADMAN

smarty72

Quote from: nutjack on May  8, 2018, 13:38
Is there an aftermarket Cruise control that is compatable with MR2 rodster?
Cheers nutjack

I believe monkey wrench racing do a compatible kit - not cheap though...

https://www.monkeywrenchracing.com/product/mwr-cruise-control-kit-v2-2000-05-mr2-spyder/
current: Astral Black FL

Ex: Forest Green 2003.

K T M Rider

Got to love the MWR sales blurb "at a price to suit any budget"

Circa £350 shipped  ::)

Looks like these "universal" kits come in around £100 less so you might want to contact the seller regarding fitment to an MR2.

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rostra-Cruise-Control-Kit-2002-2003-2004-Toyota-Corolla-Matrix-02-03-04-M-T/281916266056?epid=2255877577&hash=item41a384d648:g:pRIAAOxyMxpRomTd

Grey 2012 GT86 / ex 2001 W / 2003 03 /2003 53 MR2s
Orange 2019 Aygo Xcite Daily Driver

nutjack

Thanks but a bit expensive
AKA, MADMAN

Mr X

I've been looking at this... Not quite took the plunge yet but it's on the cards I think! https://www.conrad-electronic.co.uk/ce/en/product/851329/Speed-controller-Waeco
I'm not saying I'm batman. I'm just saying that nobody has ever seen me and batman in a room together.

StuC

Just had a quick read of the installation instructions, as I am interested too.

There might need to be some 'mods' as it looks set up for a front engined installation.
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

mrzwei

this is not meant as a negative comment but I've used cruise control extensively in mainland Europe (France, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany) for years and it is very effective in terms of ease of driving and fuel consumption. Where it falls down for me is that as soon as you touch the bonny shores of Dover it's really difficult to keep it engaged, I'm forever flicking in and out of it so end up with it off. I think the latest systems will sense when it needs to switch off so these would be the type to go for in the UK.
In short, just too much bloody traffic here.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

lamcote

I use it all the time and find it really useful. If you choose the right speed you can keep it engaged most of the time on motorways. I find about 69mph is faster than the lorries but a bit slower than most cars so it's ideal.
The most amazing thing is that doing a constant speed like this means you don't get caught up with the constant accelerating and braking in the outside lane so you actually make just as much progress as the "faster" cars but without the hassle and much more economically.
If someone was clever enough to work out a HowTo on cruise control for the MR2 I'd fit it straight away.
Admittedly, most of my driving is in the Midlands or to the North, I guess the roads are going to be busier south of me.
Silver 2004 MR2 -  Unmodified but very shiny.

shnazzle

I'm with mrzwei on this.
I've always loved cruise control but the way people drive and the amount of drivers (people doing 50 on left lane and 85 on the right) means you can never just set it to 70 and be done with it.

Great for 50mph average speed camera traps though. I miss cruise then.

But, since getting our Skoda, all problems with cc have been solved for me and make it usable almost all the time (I don't though for fuel economy reasons); adaptive cruise control.

Unfortunately I don't see a radar kit being added to this anytime soon
...neutiquam erro.

Joesson

The journies I have made and the roads I have travelled have never given me cause to want cruise control and I certainly would not consider it for my 2.
My experiences being perhaps similar to mrzwei.
But as always one man's meat is another man's fish.

MisterK

I travelled from N Warwickshire Monday evening to Taunton in the Auris Hybrid & back lunchtime yesterday.  Cruise control set on 70mph for both journeys & I only had to flick it off a couple of times.  As previously mentioned around 70 mph is ideal...faster than lorries, slower than 90% of cars & vans & no worries about the cameras on the M42, the M5 at Bromsgrove & Bristol.  You do need to concentrate and anticipate your lane changes if busy.  I have cruise on the motorhome too & wouldn't be without it.  It would be nice on the MR2 for my Taunton trips  :)
MARK K - Original Owner/ \'Best In Class\' winner, \'Show n Shine\', MR2DC National Event 2017.

K T M Rider

Quote from: lamcote on May 11, 2018, 12:20
I use it all the time and find it really useful.
Admittedly, most of my driving is in the Midlands or to the North, I guess the roads are going to be busier south of me.

Same here, more or less (probably more in the North & less in the Midlands  :)  )   

Did 300 odd miles between York and Redditch at the weekend and had it on cruise at least 80% of the time. The M1 between the M18 (Doncaster area) and A42 (East Midlands) is 4 lanes, outer two lanes were mostly empty at circa 9am Sat heading South and even at lunchtime on Sunday heading back North, so was very easy to pick a speed and maintain it.

Had it set at 75 (TomTom GPS speed) on my £1200 BM which was marginally faster than 95% of the other traffic, while still allowing the owners of more modern German autos plenty of opportunity to show why their cars were worth thirty times as much  ;)
Grey 2012 GT86 / ex 2001 W / 2003 03 /2003 53 MR2s
Orange 2019 Aygo Xcite Daily Driver

rich_p

So here we have;

http://www.celica-club.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/152735-a-guide-for-installing-a-waeco-ms50-cruise-control-system/

After seeing the above guide for the 1ZZ i then went for it and fitted the same system to my 2zz Celica, I've had it installed a good few years now, and it's actually one of my favourite mods due to the long distance drives the car gets used for.
My roadster really doesn't get used quite the same way to need it but I'd be sure installation wouldn't be too difficult. One of the harder parts I found was where to mount the controls!

StuC

Quote from: rich_p on June 26, 2018, 21:20
So here we have;

http://www.celica-club.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/152735-a-guide-for-installing-a-waeco-ms50-cruise-control-system/

After seeing the above guide for the 1ZZ i then went for it and fitted the same system to my 2zz Celica, I've had it installed a good few years now, and it's actually one of my favourite mods due to the long distance drives the car gets used for.
My roadster really doesn't get used quite the same way to need it but I'd be sure installation wouldn't be too difficult. One of the harder parts I found was where to mount the controls!

Can't see the info :(
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Gatouzze

Same for me... we need to create an account to see the link...

@rich_p is it possible you copy paste the post her?

Tags: