ebay

Started by Anonymous, March 6, 2005, 16:33

Anonymous

I've been a member of ebay for about a year then Friday i log in to get 'account suspended' and an email saying

QuoteWe regret to inform you that your eBay account has been suspended due to concerns we have for the safety and integrity of the eBay community.

Per the User Agreement, Section 9, we may immediately issue a warning, temporarily suspend, indefinitely suspend or terminate your membership and refuse to provide our services to you if we believe that your actions may cause financial loss or legal liability for you, our users or us. We may also take these actions if we are unable to verify or authenticate any information you provide to us.

Due to the suspension of this account, please be advised you are prohibited from using eBay in any way. This includes the registering of a new account.

Please note that any seller fees due to eBay will immediately become due and payable. eBay will charge any amounts you have not previously disputed to the billing method currently on file.

Regards,

Safeharbor Department
eBay, Inc.

I Email them asking WTF then get this reply
QuoteHello,

Thank you for taking the time to write to eBay.

Thank you for writing to eBay UK regarding the suspension of your
account.

Your account suspension is due to several discrepancies in your
registration information as outlined in Section 8 of the eBay User
Agreement. The section is entitled "Breach" and contains the following
text:

"Without limiting our other remedies, we may immediately issue a
warning, suspend or terminate your user registration and refuse to
provide our services to you without notice to you:

(a) if you breach this Agreement or the documents incorporated by
reference;
(b) if we are unable to verify or authenticate any information you
provide to us; or
(c) if we believe that your actions may cause legal liability for you,
our users or us."

Has this happened to anyone else here, and/or know what the hell is going on. Really p*ssed with them at moment, had things i was bidding on aswell.  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:    s:evil: :evil: s:evil:    s:evil: :evil: s:evil:

Anonymous

Sounds like they're saying that, somewhere when you registered a year ago, you gave false information. Obviously you didn't, but that's what they're getting at.

I'd ask for full details of exactly what you said that they think you've lied about, and see what comes up.

Trouble is, there's not a lot you can do about it if they decide they don't want you to use their services.   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:

kanujunkie

didn't move home since registering did you?
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

No haven't moved since registering. I have emailed them back but it's such a pain having to wait 2-3 days between sending and hearing back from them. What a F***** this is!!!!  s:x :x s:x    s:x :x s:x

I wouldn't mind so much if they had sent me an email stating their concerns and if i don't supply them with proof they require within a certain amount of days, THEN suspend my account.

Jap GT300

Are you sure it wasn't a spam pop up window?

They look the same now and I get this all the time.  They even have  w www.ebay.co.uk w  in the address bar and only pop up when you want to log into ebay.

I also get this with ebay

Anonymous

Yes mate, i thought the same at first and just ignored it but now i know it's for real, even tried pc's at work.

kanujunkie

what an a**e  s:( :( s:(  

does this restrict you setting up a account?
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Bongo

Quote from: "Jap GT300"Are you sure it wasn't a spam pop up window?

They look the same now and I get this all the time.  They even have  w www.ebay.co.uk w  in the address bar and only pop up when you want to log into ebay.

I also get this with ebay

Sounds like you have a spyware issue to me, and also that your computer isn't fully up to date with windows update etc.

darrenjuggins

I Got this as well....

Check the link - it's not E-bays and it's asking for loads of information that you should not supply...

Also notice the font used for the Fishing site is different to that used by e-bay..... It's clever... but don't be fooled - read E-bays policy on E-mails and security and what they ask for.

You should only ever use the proper site for changing your details, NEVER use a link from an E-mail.

Cheers

Darren J
Darren A. Juggins

Liz

Simon had this as well, when he contacted ebay they said it was spam.
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

aaronjb

If your account really has been suspended then yes - I've had that happen to me, exactly the same reasons given in the mails, identical mails in fact (I imagine they're bulk). As has a friend of mine - both of us were selling brand new, high value, camera equipment.

There's also been an article in the local paper in Poole about someone else suspended at about the same time who was selling camera lenses.

Had to fax off a bunch of documents (ask them what you need to send to get reinstated) to their investigations office before my account was turned back on.

(And yes, all the mails were legitimate and from ebay, and I was suspended from the 'real' ebay site)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

juansolo

If you owe them any money stop it going through.  It focuses their minds much quicker than the emails and automated replies.

This is a real PITA when this happens  s:( :( s:(
[size=75]Porsche Cayman - Curvy (almost) perfection
Juno SSE-CN - Bonkers track thing
Mercedes 190E - Das Uberbarge still going strong[/size]

Tem

Friend of mine got his Paypal account suspended, apparently they suspected him of money laundry (how do you say that in english anyway), cause he buys tons of stuff paying with Paypal  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  He didn't find it funny at the time though  s:? :? s:?

I suppose this is a good thing in the end that they actually pay some attention to their users. Of course I'd hate to see it happen to myself. Especially without any warning/query!  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:

Remember the cheap GTech units? I bought a few for my friends, making several orders, getting them shipped straight to the guys (cheaper than one big package, which would've been caught in customs) and paying all with the same card. They contacted me and said they suspect a fraud and can't ship them. After few emails I convinced them that it's not and they sent them. I think eBay/Paypal should handle things the same way, contact people, not just suspend without any questions  s:? :? s:?
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

This is all definatly for real, not a fraud. The documents as aaron said need to be faxed to a certain number. They're not bank account docs, just ones that can prove address ie utility bill, driving licence etc.

I've only bought probably 3 things this year and sold nothing so my anger is why do this and not give any explanation to the cause of their action, its not like my account stands out with large transactions.

Anyway i'll fax the docs and plead for reinstatement, thanks for replies atleast it seems this does randomly occur to others without warning.

Joe Schmoe

Quote from: "Tem"they suspected him of money laundry (how do you say that in english anyway)
"Money laundering".

Anonymous

Quote from: "Joe Schmoe"
Quote from: "Tem"they suspected him of money laundry (how do you say that in english anyway)
"Money laundering".

It happens if more than 4.5k goes into the account  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

You may well have at some point inadvertainly been directed to a spoof site.  You could find that your ebay identy has now been cloned, hence the ban.

Its happened a lot recently, especially (as arron says) to photographers.  I have had two people to try to scam me for buying expensive camera gear.

This is how it works.  I sell an item.  However it doesnt sell.  The scammer then sends my highest bidder a fake second chance offer to buy my goods.  Now because its from an auction they desperately wanted to win, their guard is let down (instead of a spoof that says "give me you details")  They rush online (to the spoof site) enter their details and BAMM!

The scammer now has your ebay details and starts fake transactions.  Its normally spotted quickly by ebay as they will get a flood of complaints about "you" and your accoutn will be suspended.

Like I said this is now common, and I know of at least two people who have been contact by "me" to offer items...its worse that the fake bidders.

EBAY IS NOT SAFE ANYMORE - AND I RARELY USE IT ANYMORE - AFTER BUYING AND SELLING MORE THAN 20k STUFF IN THE LAST TWO YEARS.

Anonymous

Agreed. You have to be really careful with eBay now. I was selling a mobile phone on there. It sold for £150 but the highest bidder was a fake. "Please send this phone to Nigeria" they said. Yeah right.

I didn't get charged for the listing as eBay recognised that it was a fake bid. I listed it the next week and got 3 fake bids on the last day. I had to cancel them as they came in. Total pain.   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:

Tem

Quote from: "cstevens"EBAY IS NOT SAFE ANYMORE

If I understood your post correctly, there's really nothing wrong with eBay. Just the lowlifes trying to make use of it through fake emails?

That just happens to any popular place where money is involved. I wouldn't call eBay unsafe just cause of those. I think I'll keep using it.

Anonymous

I recieved the same email, in which I deleted it.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Tem"

If I understood your post correctly, there's really nothing wrong with eBay. Just the lowlifes trying to make use of it through fake emails?

That just happens to any popular place where money is involved. I wouldn't call eBay unsafe just cause of those. I think I'll keep using it.

Yes, I agree to a point...however.  If you take my example, trying to sell a Fuji S2 Pro for around £900.  I had 3 fake winning bids.  One of them the user was banned just afterwards, so i got my money back straight away, the other two I had to wait 30 days before I could even claim my money back, and we are talking around £30 an auction for the listing and selling fees.

This has happened to a number of photographers selling equipment, but also happens I know to many other people (seems to be electical, as I have heard of many phone scams also) normally trying to get you to ship it to Nigeria.

With this in Mind, I dont think that ebay is a good place any more.  If there was a street where you where always mugged, you would say its unsafe to walk down he street.  This is potentially the way ebay is going now.

Ebay is totally safe when you buy from good sellers, but I have been selling for nearly 3 years on ebay, and over the last two months 9 out of 10 auctions have had problems in one way or an other.  I have also been sent around 20 spoof mails of varying content which seems to happen when you get to a certain number of positive feedbacks.

Tem

Ah, I've never put anything for sale over there. I've used local places for selling, since prices are generally a bit higher over here.

juansolo

Quote from: "Tem"

Indeed.  It's never been 'safe'.  It's about as safe as a car boot sale but with more pikeys.  If you approach it with a degree of common sense then it's can be a highly lucrative market place for the seller and the source of some top bargains for the buyer.
[size=75]Porsche Cayman - Curvy (almost) perfection
Juno SSE-CN - Bonkers track thing
Mercedes 190E - Das Uberbarge still going strong[/size]

loadswine

I've just had the exact same text from ebay that mr-s_turbo ( Ian ) had.
I forwarded it straight to ebay and they said that it was probably a spoof! Just checked my ebay account and it still appears to work.
I do wonder whether this came from a question I asked of the spoof Mr2 owner on ebay last week. He was selling a very suss looking 03/04 Red 2 for £4500 allegedly. So I asked him a question. Could be that's how he got my email address.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

loadswine

Just had another email from the real ebay conirming that my account is fine. They give the impression that they want to follow up on the scamsters!
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Tags: