Induction noise from stock airbox?

Started by mr2stuff, May 25, 2018, 13:00

mr2stuff

Hi All,

I've read on this forum there is a way to add a bit more induction noise from the stock airbox without going down the full induction kit route.
Is it this rear tube that needs to be removed from the back of the airbox to do this mod?

Any advice appreciated.
Cheers
MR2 in Blue.
TTE Exhaust
Markiii Pipe

shnazzle

...neutiquam erro.

mr2stuff

Cheers thanks shnazzle, I'll give it a try this weekend :)
MR2 in Blue.
TTE Exhaust
Markiii Pipe

Gatouzze

Is removing this tube change any specs for MPG or will it just make more noise?
Is it recommended to do an ECU reset?

shnazzle

Quote from: Gatouzze on May 25, 2018, 13:18
Is removing this tube change any specs for MPG or will it just make more noise?
Is it recommended to do an ECU reset?
Just makes more noise.
On a hot day it'll be pulling in more hot air than is desirable but it'll compensate.

80% of the time in the UK your intake temps will be just fine with that pipe disconnected.

And once you've had it loose once, you can very easily pop it in and out as you see fit. Takes 2 mins.
So when you're feeling like you need a childish grin, take it off. When you're going for a long drive or a very hot day of hoofing it, put it on.
...neutiquam erro.

mr2stuff

Oh right, I thought the rear passenger light needed to come out to do the mod.
Is it possible to do this and just remove the end which is attached to the airbox without the rear light coming out?
MR2 in Blue.
TTE Exhaust
Markiii Pipe

shnazzle

Quote from: mr2stuff on May 25, 2018, 13:54
Oh right, I thought the rear passenger light needed to come out to do the mod.
Is it possible to do this and just remove the end which is attached to the airbox without the rear light coming out?
Yup! That's what I used to do.
I was unlucky twice and the pipe came loose and found its way behind the wheel arch liner. No biggie.

Besides, light out is two screws. I always have a Swiss army knife on me anyway so I can always take it off very quickly :)
...neutiquam erro.

mr2stuff

MR2 in Blue.
TTE Exhaust
Markiii Pipe

mr2stuff

Went to do the mod and found that the previous owner has already modified with a better airflow pipe.
Looks to be one of special made items in a group buy from previous threads or home made?
MR2 in Blue.
TTE Exhaust
Markiii Pipe

shnazzle

...neutiquam erro.

mr2stuff

I've read about these legendary markiii pipes on the forum, looks like my car may have likely belonged to a forum member in the past.
Glad I have one of these ;D
MR2 in Blue.
TTE Exhaust
Markiii Pipe

m1tch

I just used some universal brake ducting hose, although I now have my air filter behind the battery now.

Tags: