Should I try before I mod??

Started by conrank, July 7, 2018, 07:53

conrank

So. Weirdly although I have had my 2 for a few months now, I've not actually driven it haha. I've been away for business ever since. Since I left I've had the alloys refurbed and a TTE exhaust installed. In August I will finally get to drive it, and stretch its legs around Europe for a couple of weeks. My question is, although I want to install coilovers, should I at least drive it with the stock suspension first and see how it feels, or just do the mod ready for the maiden voyage? Any advice??
Black on Black 2003 MK3

shnazzle

Quote from: conrank on July  7, 2018, 07:53
So. Weirdly although I have had my 2 for a few months now, I've not actually driven it haha. I've been away for business ever since. Since I left I've had the alloys refurbed and a TTE exhaust installed. In August I will finally get to drive it, and stretch its legs around Europe for a couple of weeks. My question is, although I want to install coilovers, should I at least drive it with the stock suspension first and see how it feels, or just do the mod ready for the maiden voyage? Any advice??

Definitely try. But a proper try. Not just around the block. Find a willing victim who will let you try b-roads, roads like the ones around you, bumpy uneven roads. Etc. Motorways and 70s are flat anyway so makes no odds :)

Enjoy the stock and then enjoy the massive improvement fresh suspension (adjustable coilies or fresh stock) makes.
...neutiquam erro.

conrank

Quote from: shnazzle on July  7, 2018, 08:57

Definitely try. But a proper try. Not just around the block. Find a willing victim who will let you try b-roads, roads like the ones around you, bumpy uneven roads. Etc. Motorways and 70s are flat anyway so makes no odds :)

Enjoy the stock and then enjoy the massive improvement fresh suspension (adjustable coilies or fresh stock) makes.

Well, the day after I arrive back in the U.K., I'm setting off on the 12 day road trip around Europe. So that will be the tester then. It's either do it before I arrive back, or do it after the road trip. So I'll prob just wait until after the trip then.
Black on Black 2003 MK3

shnazzle

Quote from: conrank on July  7, 2018, 09:03

Well, the day after I arrive back in the U.K., I'm setting off on the 12 day road trip around Europe. So that will be the tester then. It's either do it before I arrive back, or do it after the road trip. So I'll prob just wait until after the trip then.
I went cold turkey and I wouldn't look back. But others have really moved theirs after a short stint. So... There is that chance.
Having said that, Europe roads are by definition 10x better than  UK roads so if you go for a set of MeisterRs, you're unlikely to be disappointed on that trip
...neutiquam erro.

conrank

Quote from: shnazzle on July  7, 2018, 09:13
Quote from: conrank on July  7, 2018, 09:03

I went cold turkey and I wouldn't look back. But others have really moved theirs after a short stint. So... There is that chance.
Having said that, Europe roads are by definition 10x better than  UK roads so if you go for a set of MeisterRs, you're unlikely to be disappointed on that trip

I used to love my Mini Cooper and my brothers Lotus Elise... can't be much harder than the suspension on those .... to be honest , I'm less about comfort and more about how fun it is to drive haha.
Black on Black 2003 MK3

shnazzle

Then do it! What are you waiting for man??
...neutiquam erro.

conrank

Quote from: shnazzle on July  7, 2018, 09:33

Haha! It's more that I've never even driven my 2 with stock suspension. Shouldn't I at least see what it's like stock first? Or is that stupid? Sod it maybe I should just take the plunge!
Black on Black 2003 MK3

shnazzle

Quote from: conrank on July  7, 2018, 09:39
Quote from: shnazzle on July  7, 2018, 09:33

Haha! It's more that I've never even driven my 2 with stock suspension. Shouldn't I at least see what it's like stock first? Or is that stupid? Sod it maybe I should just take the plunge!
It's all about the plunge. The drive of the 2 is revered so no worries there. It's its main "thing". Adding coilies only makes it more fun
...neutiquam erro.

Beachbum957

Try it stock.  You may be surprised at how well it handles

I have 2 MR2s, a 2003 with stock suspension and a 2002 lowered on Tein springs and Koni's.  I have driven a friends well set up coilovers as well. The Tein setup and the coilovers feel very similar to stock as far as handling characteristics, but have less roll, sharper turn-in and response.  The downsides on both are less ground clearance and they don't handle big bumps as well as stock (less bump travel)

But the stock suspension actually works really well on most roads, even on old struts.  The 2003 had over 100,000 miles on the original struts and still worked really well.  We installed new KYB struts which tightened it up a bit.

conrank

Quote from: Beachbum957 on July  7, 2018, 11:37

Try it stock.  You may be surprised at how well it handles

I have 2 MR2s, a 2003 with stock suspension and a 2002 lowered on Tein springs and Koni's.  I have driven a friends well set up coilovers as well. The Tein setup and the coilovers feel very similar to stock as far as handling characteristics, but have less roll, sharper turn-in and response.  The downsides on both are less ground clearance and they don't handle big bumps as well as stock (less bump travel)

But the stock suspension actually works really well on most roads, even on old struts.  The 2003 had over 100,000 miles on the original struts and still worked really well.  We installed new KYB struts which tightened it up a bit.

Very true, would be nice to feel the before and after. I cannot wait to get behind the wheel.
Black on Black 2003 MK3

james_ly

A lot of the fun for me is seeing it before and after and honing the car bit by bit.
MR2 gone<br />GT86

Topdownman

A bit risky to change something before a long trip. Coilovers need setting up too which usually means faffing around getting them at the height you want before you have your full alignment done.

Unless you have someone driving the car around for you and you trust them to spec. your ride height etc I wouldnt even entertain a change with no time to adjust if you are not happy.

When you are spending that much money you do want to know that you have made the right decision and that means spending some time on stock....
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Carolyn

Please, Please, Please:

Get to know what your little car is all about before you start changing it.

I've got one highly modified and one stock, but in super driving condition.  I prefer the stock one.

Give her a chance first?
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

BahnStormer

Quote from: Carolyn on July  9, 2018, 20:34
Give her a chance first?
+1 on this

Even the stock one is a lovely drivers car and probably better for a long road trip than coilovers, etc....
Black 2006: AC & heated leather: 4x Megillian braces, Koni/Tein custom suspension, MTEC+YS+braided brakes, Toyosports manifold, TTE exhaust, Conti PremiumContact2(summer)/ Conti TS860S(winter) / YokoAD08RS (track/summer), Pioneer MVH-390BT + TS-E171ci, FBSW, Robbins mohair hood.

Tags: