Brakes: Pedal travel

Started by Nvy, July 10, 2018, 08:16

Nvy

Hey guys,
I noticed something when i drove the car a while back - the pedal travel for the brakes to start biting is in the middle and way lower than my other cars. Is it normal and if not can it be fixed any way?

Joesson

Firstly check your brake fluid level and if ok, then with engine running while stationary give the brake pedal several hard pushes. This will likely reset the brake pistons.

james_ly

Air in the system, need to bleed the brakes.
MR2 gone<br />GT86

mr2garageswindon

I doubt it is air in the system, how would it get in there?
I suspect the caliper sliders or a piston has seized. Strip and clean and inspect.
I'm sure it will be an easy fix.

Nvy

Quote from: mr2garageswindon on July 10, 2018, 11:11
I suspect the caliper sliders or a piston has seized. Strip and clean and inspect.

The bolded thing was done last month, its not that. I had rear caliper sticking but now its fine. Ill maybe try to bleed it or the 1st suggestion from @Joesson.

Carolyn

Quote from: Nvy on July 10, 2018, 11:14

The bolded thing was done last month, its not that. I had rear caliper sticking but now its fine. Ill maybe try to bleed it or the 1st suggestion from @Joesson.

Might as well do both? 
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Nvy

Quote from: Carolyn on July 10, 2018, 11:20
Quote from: Nvy on July 10, 2018, 11:14

Might as well do both?

Yeah, will do both. Its easy enough to press the pedal couple of times :)

james_ly

Old brake fluid absorbs water, water compressible, hence more pedal needed. Seized piston/slider you'd be getting binding brakes, shouldn't have affect on the pedal as the system should adjust to piston position.
MR2 gone<br />GT86

mr2garageswindon

Quote from: james_ly on July 10, 2018, 11:45

Old brake fluid absorbs water, water compressible, hence more pedal needed. Seized piston/slider you'd be getting binding brakes, shouldn't have affect on the pedal as the system should adjust to piston position.

If the sliders are sticking and not moving when the piston comes out can give you long pedal travel. I have seen it many times before.
A bleed is worth a go if the rear brake has been sticking as may have boiled the brake fluid.
Surely contaminated brake fluid is unlikely as everyone changes the fluid every 2 years as Toyota states on the service sheet...
I'm sure you will find a caliper at fault or someone has over adjusted the handbrake in its time again can cause long pedal travel.

Tags: