Hamish vs Zero

Started by shnazzle, July 12, 2018, 19:50

Call the midlife!

Quote from: Bernie on July 12, 2018, 22:43
Quote from: Call the midlife! on July 12, 2018, 22:24
Quote from: Bernie on July 12, 2018, 22:12
Looking through Robs Dyno's after the Zero manifold fitted went from 148.7 BHP to 157.4 BHP
Then after Crower Cams to 167.6 BHP
Then PPE induction to 171 BHP

Note it was mapped at each change

What was giving you the starting 148 Bernie on the standard set up? Just the piggy back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blueflame custom exhaust, sportscat and Apexi Power FC  ECU
Cheers, did the lighter flywheel make any difference on the dynos  or is that mainly a weight reducing aid/benefit to free revving?

60% of the time it works everytime...

Bernie

Quote from: Call the midlife! on July 12, 2018, 22:47
Looking through Robs Dyno's after the Zero manifold fitted went from 148.7 BHP to 157.4 BHP

What was giving you the starting 148 Bernie on the standard set up? Just the piggy back?

Cheers, did the lighter flywheel make any difference on the dynos  or is that mainly a weight reducing aid/benefit to free revving?

I spoke with Rob after I purchased the car and the Fidanza Flywheel was the next mod he was going to do if he still had it so I got one installed by Matt P

Never got it dyno'd after was just more the weight and free revving aspect
Black 2004  N/A  Many Mods = 171BHP 
2019 & 2021 MR2DC National Day Modified Best in Class
Readers Ride
https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=56481.0

Call the midlife!

Quote from: Bernie on July 12, 2018, 22:50
Quote from: Call the midlife! on July 12, 2018, 22:47

I spoke with Rob after I purchased the car and the Fidanza Flywheel was the next mod he was going to do if he still had it so I got one installed by Matt P

Never got it dyno'd after was just more the weight and free revving aspect
Thanks again, definitely all good food for thought, much the same as Patrick for me really it'll all come down to what's the most cost effective way of going about it.
I've already got the Hamish manifold and a Fox twin and was planning on a new cat for the MOT in December but now it's going to be SORNED and rebuilt over winter it's the perfect time to do it all. Subject to costs.

lamcote

From what I've seen there seem to be plenty of opinions on here that the Hamish doesn't make more power than standard.

The Zero does look like a great bit of kit and probably does make a noticeable improvement to performance.

I reckon the only real tuning potential there is consists of; ECU, cams, exhaust, compression ratio and ported head (plus big bore but that's very pricey).

In terms of the potential for NA power increases I would say anything that makes a noticeable improvement to power is worth having.

I vote for the Zero.

I suspect the best setup in terms of VFM is stage 1 cams, Zero exhaust plus catback, maf mod and a bit of porting if you can run to it. This saves the cost of an ECU and mapping and should give a totally reliable engine.
Silver 2004 MR2 -  Unmodified but very shiny.

jvanzyl

I second that- not wishing to compromise on the interior etc but weight saving will clearly make a big difference...
TTE exhausts are Heavy! My cobra is not loud at all and it's really light...

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

shnazzle

Chances that's the TTE will be kept are slim to be honest. It is monstrously heavy and doesn't even flow that well.

It sounds like we all agree that the Zero is worth the money. Bernie's graphs suggest the same.
...neutiquam erro.

Call the midlife!

Cash the TTE in for the same price as a Zero, you know it makes sense, I've got my old standard back box still and you're welcome to it to keep you going until you get a replacement [emoji23]

shnazzle

Quote from: Call the midlife! on July 13, 2018, 12:38
Cash the TTE in for the same price as a Zero, you know it makes sense, I've got my old standard back box still and you're welcome to it to keep you going until you get a replacement [emoji23]

I know the TTEs are going for a lot these days but not 400 quid haha.

Thanks for the offer. I'd probably just do it all in one go though.
...neutiquam erro.

mikek

It might be worth talking to Steve Norris about a whole system. I am very happy with mine.
2zz by Rogue. Se7en cams. BMC CDA. Competion clutches lightened flywheel, Megillian Racing Exhaust. TRD sportivo suspension and ARB\'s. TRD braces. TRD quick shift. TRD dash kit, Matts brace. Getting there but not sure when it will stop!

shnazzle

Quote from: mikek on July 13, 2018, 18:20
It might be worth talking to Steve Norris about a whole system. I am very happy with mine.
Good shout. If he can do something similar to the Zero (equal length, wider pipes) then it might definitely be an option. Especially if I can sell my TTE to recoup costs.
...neutiquam erro.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: shnazzle on July 13, 2018, 13:05
Quote from: Call the midlife! on July 13, 2018, 12:38

I know the TTEs are going for a lot these days but not 400 quid haha.

Thanks for the offer. I'd probably just do it all in one go though.
Yeah, I miss read your original post about the "extra" £280, I assumed you meant on top of the price of the cams etc. Didn't realise the Zero was £400 plus until I looked at them earlier today [emoji23].

Call the midlife!

Quote from: shnazzle on July 13, 2018, 18:23
Good shout. If he can do something similar to the Zero (equal length, wider pipes) then it might definitely be an option. Especially if I can sell my TTE to recoup costs.
Cue the queue for dibs!

m1tch

Quote from: Call the midlife! on July 13, 2018, 18:40
Quote from: shnazzle on July 13, 2018, 18:23
Cue the queue for dibs!

I will have my TTE up for sale soon - think someone called dibs on mine about 3 months ago lol

ilovejapcrap

Anyone got a link to zero you keep speaking of?

Bernie

Quote from: ilovejapcrap on July 24, 2018, 21:11
Anyone got a link to zero you keep speaking of?

https://www.zeroexhausts.co.uk/products.htm

Black 2004  N/A  Many Mods = 171BHP 
2019 & 2021 MR2DC National Day Modified Best in Class
Readers Ride
https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=56481.0

m1tch

I have now acquired an equal length manifold, looks to be handmade, never seen anything like it but seems to be a long tube header which should make a difference vs stock - no markings on it and it might be a one off race manifold.

jvanzyl

Quote from: m1tch on July 27, 2018, 07:53
I have now acquired an equal length manifold, looks to be handmade, never seen anything like it but seems to be a long tube header which should make a difference vs stock - no markings on it and it might be a one off race manifold.
Pictures please!! :-)

tricky1138

Is that the one Dick was selling on FB?
2004 FL, Black, Matt Brace, Team Dynamics Monza R, Tein Springs, TTE Exhaust, heated black leather seats, black leather armrest,  Zunsport grills, Midship front badge,  TRD spoiler, Halo DRLs with LED fogs, large clear wind defector, Krissg kick panels,  small mongos.

m1tch

Quote from: tricky1138 on July 27, 2018, 08:42

Is that the one Dick was setting on FB?

That's the one :)

jvanzyl

For those of us not on FB... Could we get a pic?

m1tch

Quote from: jvanzyl on July 27, 2018, 12:02

Just sorting out the photo now - its too big to upload on here so needing to resize etc.

tricky1138

Quote from: m1tch on July 27, 2018, 12:01

Nearly bought that myself. Be interested to see if it makes a difference!
2004 FL, Black, Matt Brace, Team Dynamics Monza R, Tein Springs, TTE Exhaust, heated black leather seats, black leather armrest,  Zunsport grills, Midship front badge,  TRD spoiler, Halo DRLs with LED fogs, large clear wind defector, Krissg kick panels,  small mongos.

m1tch

Photo attached - not the best but you get the idea :)

m1tch

Quote from: tricky1138 on July 27, 2018, 12:05
Quote from: m1tch on July 27, 2018, 12:01

Nearly bought that myself. Be interested to see if it makes a difference!

Indeed, I need to get an O2 bung welded into the main cat just before it so I can get a correct AFR, plan is to get a replacement cat from Cat2u (or see if I can get a bung welded in the current one) and fit this up - I can then do some drag runs and see if it makes a difference with the TTE exhaust, and then with the lightweight exhaust I also have.

lamcote

Quote from: m1tch on July 27, 2018, 12:06

Photo attached - not the best but you get the idea :)

Shame it appears they have just merged the pipes together where it bolts onto the cat, if I have seen it properly. This loses the benefit of the negative pressure waves that should arise from the longer equal length pipes. It should incorporate separate collectors at that point.

The Zero appears to have these which is why it has welds where the individual pipes join into the sections that merge and then fasten onto the flange for the cat. This means the collector section is a larger diameter than the manifold pipes themselves and that's what creates the negative pressure waves if it's all designed correctly.

https://www.zeroexhausts.co.uk/images/gallery/large-MK3-MR2-Roadster-2.jpg

Same with the PPE:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=mrs+ppe+headers&client=tablet-android-pega&prmd=svin&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjRot6AqL_cAhXqIcAKHW1OAhAQ_AUIEygD&biw=600&bih=960&dpr=2#imgrc=XbT6CfOIqT_8CM:
Silver 2004 MR2 -  Unmodified but very shiny.

Tags: