MR2 discontinued in Europe...for real?

Started by Tem, March 10, 2005, 20:48

Tem

At least over here it is  s:? :? s:?  20th of October is the last day to order one and after that one can only wish to find unsold cars.

Since we've pretty much had the European lineup "forever", I can only assume it's gone in Europe as well  s:? :? s:?

(same date goes for Celica as well btw)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Slacey

Well, I guess we knew it was coming after the US announcement - didn't think it would be this soon in the EU though. Great for resale values though!
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

kanujunkie

OMG  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  didnt think i'd actually hear it, i know the rumours have been talked about for ages
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

GSB

Odd, I was in my dealers this afternoon, and the salesman asked me if I knew anything about the cars future...

Now I'm beginning to wonder what he's heard...  s:? :? s:?
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

Funny how this date coincides with the Tokyo Motor Show! Reckon they will be announcing the replacement there   s:D :D s:D

heathstimpson

Quote from: "Jon"Funny how this date coincides with the Tokyo Motor Show! Reckon they will be announcing the replacement there   s:D :D s:D
I reckon they will be somehow; it had to happen I suppose  s:? :? s:?    s:cry: :cry: s:cry:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

Well, when the replacement is announced, I hope it's reeeaaaalllyyyy ugly...

[/jealous_mode]

s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

kanujunkie

i'm almost waiting on tenderhooks to find out what though, any idea's or has anyone heard any new info??
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

If the spy shots are anything to go by, the replacement should be an evolution of the current car but with a wider track, larger wheels and brakes, a rear diffuser (if you look very closely) and twin tailpipes as standard. And hopefully the VVTL-i engine   s:D :D s:D

heathstimpson

Quote from: "Jon"If the spy shots are anything to go by, the replacement should be an evolution of the current car but with a wider track, larger wheels and brakes, a rear diffuser (if you look very closely) and twin tailpipes as standard. And hopefully the VVTL-i engine   s:D :D s:D
I might upgrade after all if its any good  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  Will have to strip the mods off though  s:? :? s:?
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Tem

Quote from: "Jon"Funny how this date coincides with the Tokyo Motor Show! Reckon they will be announcing the replacement there   s:D :D s:D

Good catch! I didn't realize that  s8) 8) s8)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

kanujunkie

Quote from: "Jon"If the spy shots are anything to go by, the replacement should be an evolution of the current car but with a wider track, larger wheels and brakes, a rear diffuser (if you look very closely) and twin tailpipes as standard. And hopefully the VVTL-i engine   s:D :D s:D

you're talking about this arn't you Jon???

http://www.mr2roc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5402
[size=100]Stu[/size]

dreambackup

haven't you noticed a difference with the mkIII? shorter read overhangs? longer front overhangs? or is it just me...  s:? :? s:?
[size=67]2003 Toyota MR-S 1E3 SMT w/ hardtop, red painted calipers & red J-Spec nose badge, PPE intake w/ Apex\'i air filter, Way-Do TRD + C1 springs, front C1 sway bar, TRD front strut tower brace, Corky\'s breastplate, 1E3 Dev keyhole covers, Che header, Remus dual[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "kanujunkie"you're talking about this arn't you Jon???

Yes that's it. It's either an engineering mule for a completely new car, or probably more likely (due to the relatively low production) an evolution of the current car to extend production for another 5-6 years. If you look closely the brake callipers are on the leading edge of clearly larger disks (the current car has them on the trailing edge), so the running gear has been uprated. There also seems to be some sort of mock up of a rear diffuser, so with this sort of changes you would hope they would put a more powerful engine in.

kanujunkie

looks to me like a body kitted standard 2  at the moment, but still a pretty cool one  s:D :D s:D
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

If it looks like that, I'll eat my own hair (a la Clarkson).

Anonymous

Since we're speculating, my own worry is that the Mk IV version will be a hybrid and/or heavier. A larger engine or turbo would be welcomed, but not at the cost of an additional 300 lbs of mechanical and electrical "comfort" add-ons like a powered roof, power seats, etc.

Jap GT300

Quote from: "southerneditor"Since we're speculating, my own worry is that the Mk IV version will be a hybrid and/or heavier. A larger engine or turbo would be welcomed, but not at the cost of an additional 300 lbs of mechanical and electrical "comfort" add-ons like a powered roof, power seats, etc.

From what I've read and heard I honestly think the next generation will be a hybrid engine, hard top convertible and will be a one model replacement for the MR2 and Celica.

That way they can still reintroduce the new Supra.

filcee

Quote from: "Jon"
Quote from: "kanujunkie"you're talking about this arn't you Jon???

If you look closely the brake callipers are on the leading edge of clearly larger disks (the current car has them on the trailing edge),
Which is not the best place if you want a godd balance of weight between front and rear - they should be to the rear - or better still at the bottom - of the discs
Quote from: "Jon"so the running gear has been uprated.
Or they just grabbed something from the parts bin to throw on there

Quote from: "Jap GT300"hard top convertible
If it is, I don't know where they will put the mid-mounted engine - and that's the reason I bought one in the first place.
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

Anonymous

Quote from: "Jap GT300"
Quote from: "southerneditor"Since we're speculating, my own worry is that the Mk IV version will be a hybrid and/or heavier. A larger engine or turbo would be welcomed, but not at the cost of an additional 300 lbs of mechanical and electrical "comfort" add-ons like a powered roof, power seats, etc.

From what I've read and heard I honestly think the next generation will be a hybrid engine, hard top convertible and will be a one model replacement for the MR2 and Celica.

That way they can still reintroduce the new Supra.

Funny you should say this. I have just had an ickle bit of warrentee work done on my 2 & the Toyota manager was telling me about a Toyota conference he had just come back from. The rumour there was a hybrid engined mix of the 2 & the celica. Again though, they weren't told anything definate. but it is nice to know the rumours are starting to match from different quarters.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Jap GT300"From what I've read and heard I honestly think the next generation will be a hybrid engine, hard top convertible and will be a one model replacement for the MR2 and Celica.

Yep, This is what my dealer told me last year as well. He said the expected date was 2007.

Anonymous

Whats wrong with a Hybrid option? Have you ever driven a Hybrid, such as the new Prius?

I changed my MR2 for a Prius and I have to say I am very happy with it. Its responsive, my fuel costs have been halved and the service is only an oil change every 15Tkm.  

Concerns about a hybrid being heavy are not 100% true, and in the case of the Prius there is no gear box (we have a CVT) so that is a lot of weight lost, and the battery which increases the weight is a lot less than the (removed) tranny. The down side is a limited top speed of 180Km/h, but thats still way over the legal limit.

Btw, there  is no lag with the Prius CVT like on a normal automatic as its a planetary gear system (so a physical connection, not fluid).

When my Prius is 3 years old I will certainly be looking for an MR2/Celica Hybrid option.

Anonymous

I like the look of the mkIV from those pictures but I'm not sure about the whole hybrid idea on a supposed sports car.  Doesn't sound like the best idea to get good performance out of a car - mpg sure but it doesn't sound very fast.  Of course I know practically nothing about engines so it could be as fast as a jet powered squirrel.

Oh well, I'm getting my MR2 on Wednesday and I won't pay it off for a few years (especially if I get into mods like most of you have!) so I won't need to worry about the new model for a while.

Tags: