Geo set up for track day

Started by Kaveney, August 2, 2018, 09:24

Kaveney

Ok not being that clued up on Geo settings I got the car in to have a full Geo set up and the below numbers for camber were the were .

Before
Left 1.39
Right 0.48

After
Left 2.27
Right 2.26

The rear camber was

Before
Left 1.03
Right 0.53

After
Left 1.29
Right 1.30

The before numbers are different form each side so what effect would this of had on how the car drove ?

The new numbers are all now in line with each corner but should I be running more rear camber ?

I do have the powerflex rear camber bolts installed that can give 1.75 of adjustment .

I told the company we are new to track days and that we were after a more stable rear end that would not step out so easy and they said that on the rear the have set this up more neutral and would not slide at the rear so easy but when it does it will be more harder to catch but can adjust more but to see how we got on .

As this is all new to me am I correct in thinking that the car will drive much better now from the old set up but I may need bit more rear camber .

Im still trying to understand what affect camber has at the front and back and what set up would be best .

Regards

lamcote

It's very difficult to predict because camber is only one of a number of factors that affect overall grip. Tyres, tyre pressures, toe angle, springs, antiroll bars, bushes, caster angle etc all have an influence on the balance of grip.

However normally (up to a point) the more negative camber you have the more grip you get. Your new setup seems to have more negative camber at the front than the rear than you had before. Simplistically, this would normally suggest a more oversteering setup.

Best to have a drive and see what you think.
Silver 2004 MR2 -  Unmodified but very shiny.

lamcote

Quote from: lamcote on August  2, 2018, 09:55
It's very difficult to predict because camber is only one of a number of factors that affect overall grip. Tyres, tyre pressures, toe angle, springs, antiroll bars, bushes, caster angle, driving style etc all have an influence on the balance of grip.

However normally (up to a point) the more negative camber you have the more grip you get. Your new setup seems to have more negative camber at the front than the rear than you had before. Simplistically, this would normally suggest a more oversteering setup.

james_ly

In the Lotus Elise world, the general setup is:
Zero toe front, or slight toe out
Slight toe in rear
1 degree front camber, 2 degree rear. Some people go more extreme, but that's a nice road and track compromise.

What I might try on my MR2 is standard geo, but upping the camber 1 degree front and back.
MR2 gone<br />GT86

Kaveney

So running more rear camber make this more natural ?

I think I can run - 1.75 at the rear .

Regards

Quote from: lamcote on August  2, 2018, 09:55
It's very difficult to predict because camber is only one of a number of factors that affect overall grip. Tyres, tyre pressures, toe angle, springs, antiroll bars, bushes, caster angle etc all have an influence on the balance of grip.

lamcote

The more equal the camber front to rear the more equal the available grip.

However it really does depend on how you drive and what's causing any oversteer.

If for example, you pile into a corner too fast, get loads of understeer and then lift off the throttle which then causes the oversteer, then the solution may well be to boost front grip (eg more front camber) to avoid that initial understeer. Or go into the corners a bit slower to come out faster!

Most track cars will have camber settings along the lines of your new setup ie more negative on the front.

shnazzle

Quote from: lamcote on August  2, 2018, 12:28
The more equal the camber front to rear the more equal the available grip.

However it really does depend on how you drive and what's causing any oversteer.

If for example, you pile into a corner too fast, get loads of understeer and then lift off the throttle which then causes the oversteer, then the solution may well be to boost front grip (eg more front camber) to avoid that initial understeer. Or go into the corners a bit slower to come out faster!

Most track cars will have camber settings along the lines of your new setup ie more negative on the front.
Is it actually for track?
Asking because I'm running more camber on the rear than front to increase grip on the rear (prevent back breaking out) but obviously inducing understeer.
This has lead to a very safe setup on the road with little to no chance the back will break out unless you're going on daft.
It's something to consider. If you need to make a snap adjustment on the open road, a more neutral setup or rear-biased neg camber will allow for easier correction.

On track... Yeah go nuts with front camber and go at least 1.75neg on rear :) I'm on -2 rear and the grip increase on b-roads was crazy.
...neutiquam erro.

james_ly

Quote from: shnazzle on August  2, 2018, 14:26
This has lead to a very safe BORING setup on the road with little to no chance the back will break out unless you're going on daft.

;) :D
MR2 gone<br />GT86

shnazzle

Quote from: james_ly on August  2, 2018, 14:48
Quote from: shnazzle on August  2, 2018, 14:26
This has lead to a very safe BORING setup on the road with little to no chance the back will break out unless you're going on daft.

;) :D
Haha.
I know I know. But it's nice being able to dig into a corner without worrying about the rear.
But I have been caught out a few times where I expect the car to turn and it doesn't. Hence me wanting to increase the camber on the front next time around
...neutiquam erro.

Kaveney

Yes the car is only for track use and driving to the track .

Sounds like there in no wright or wrong answer then .

I want the positive turn in but don't want the rear end too lively .

I think I will have a few more goes on track with this set up and then may look to add some more camber to the rear .

Tags: