LEDs in the Instrument cluster

Started by Bodgeroo, October 22, 2018, 21:11

Bodgeroo

Having seen Mitch Dore do this on You tube. I've decided I'm going to do the same. Any idea what size bulbs I need?

It would also be a shame not to do the bulbs behind the heater dials. Do you know what size led bulbs I need for these?

Bossworld

Wouldn't bother mate, the needles look amazing at night but at dusk the speedo is practically unreadable.

The Speedo and binnacle are T5 286 LEDs for what it's worth. I'm going back to bulbs some point this winter.

Edit: I googled the video you mentioned. I think his dark dials will make a massive difference to the end result - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FqNLwFzgUpM

Bossworld

Whereas with LEDs on standard dials this is what you get. An uneven distribution of light with obvious hotspots. Needles look awesome though

a short poem for a friend

Bodgeroo

That's a shame I was hoping to achieve a more modern look. Did you use the LEDs that have a opaque cap over the smd? I had hoped this would cause the light to spread more effectively.

I take it the heater dials will take the  286 LEDs also? I may start there and experiment with what I can achieve.

Call the midlife!

60% of the time it works everytime...

Bossworld

Quote from: Bodgeroo on October 23, 2018, 21:15
That's a shame I was hoping to achieve a more modern look. Did you use the LEDs that have a opaque cap over the smd? I had hoped this would cause the light to spread more effectively.

I take it the heater dials will take the  286 LEDs also? I may start there and experiment with what I can achieve.

Haven't tried the heater dials but I think the speedo cluster possibly has a backing film to give it its colour.

These were the bulbs I used for what it's worth.

do you have to have car insurance to drive

Some kind of diffuser like you mentioned may help, but I don't think it's going to be an exact match for the spread of light you'd get from an incandescent bulb.

Ozzy

I tried this ages ago aswell with capless white LEDs and they looked horrible. Half of the speedo wasnt even lit up. Not sure if it was the crappy bulbs I used or what but was worse than the pic posted above and I went back to original.

I just hate the dingy look of the speedo so want the lights brighter. I quite like the bright orange of the clock in our MR2s. Any idea what bulb that uses?

Bossworld

Quote from: ossy on October 24, 2018, 10:49
I tried this ages ago aswell with capless white LEDs and they looked horrible. Half of the speedo wasnt even lit up. Not sure if it was the crappy bulbs I used or what but was worse than the pic posted above and I went back to original.

I just hate the dingy look of the speedo so want the lights brighter. I quite like the bright orange of the clock in our MR2s. Any idea what bulb that uses?

Sorry it's only vaguely on topic to your reply, but I thought someone had found brighter bulbs for the speedo cluster, but I can't find any posts (here or FB) about it.  I think the stock ones are 1.2w

delhusband

Quote from: ossy on October 24, 2018, 10:49

Bulbs for dash are Toyota part no 99132 YZZBJ at £0.45 ea. There is a standard part no, think @m1tch knowsEDIT: Sorry I'm a buffoon, I see now you meant the clock
Hate pointy animals

Bodgeroo

Quote from: Call the midlife! on October 23, 2018, 22:04
Considered these?
https://visual-performance.co.uk/toyota-mr2-172-c.asp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just ordered some dome capped LEDs. Let's see how they look.  Those dials are nice but like the OEM plus look.

Ref the dials that look red and blue is that just a standard LED or a coloured one?

Ozzy

Thanks, I actually wanted to know the wattage aswell lol.

Was asking because I'm sure the clock bulb is also a T5 286, just like the rest of the bulbs in the dash and speedo, but it's waaaay brighter for some reason. I quite like the look of it, and wanted to know if I can fit it in the speedo to give a nicer bright orange light.

Bossworld

There are some Lucas 2w 286s on eBay, but as above, based on their prevalence I reckon the stock ones are 1.2w.  If anyone has a scrap set of clocks it may be worth seeing if there's some kind of film or tint behind them because that may be restricting light.

Ozzy

Can't find any incandescent bulbs more than 1.2w unfortunately. Those on ebay are 1.2w aswell  ;/

Thinking of buying a couple different styled bulbs though and seeing if any of them look good.

Also, if I get a second speedo to take apart and mess around with. Will that change the mileage clock or keep it the same as it currently is?

Bossworld

Quote from: ossy on October 25, 2018, 18:37
Can't find any incandescent bulbs more than 1.2w unfortunately. Those on ebay are 1.2w aswell  ;/

Thinking of buying a couple different styled bulbs though and seeing if any of them look good.

Also, if I get a second speedo to take apart and mess around with. Will that change the mileage clock or keep it the same as it currently is?

These apparently

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F153118228811

Don't quote me on it but I think the mileage is stored in the clocks.

dan944

Quote from: Bossworld on October 26, 2018, 00:00
Quote from: ossy on October 25, 2018, 18:37

These apparently

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F153118228811

Don't quote me on it but I think the mileage is stored in the clocks.
Correct the mileage is in the converter unit in the clocks. But..you should be able to replace the overlay of the dash without changing whole unit.
"I swear mum I did try and sell the roadster"

Silver mr2 2003 FL. Custom Turbo build 209whp. Lots of handling mods.

Honda CR-V The Work Horse

Call the midlife!

Quote from: ossy on October 25, 2018, 10:59
Thanks, I actually wanted to know the wattage aswell lol.

Was asking because I'm sure the clock bulb is also a T5 286, just like the rest of the bulbs in the dash and speedo, but it's waaaay brighter for some reason. I quite like the look of it, and wanted to know if I can fit it in the speedo to give a nicer bright orange light.
If you mean the clock that tells the time, rather than "clocks", it's a separate unit not backlit by the instrument panel so you'd have to sacrifice a spare one and split it to find out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
60% of the time it works everytime...

Bodgeroo

Fitted the LEDs behind the heater dials today. It was really easy but not obvious how to get to the bulbs. I ended up taking the dials off removing the panel and then I clipping the black plastic shield. Took three screws out of the circuit board and then I could twist out the bulb holder. To remove the bulbs was a pain but I achieved it easily by unwrapping the wire on the back of the holder and then attaching some strong tape to the bulb and pulling. The bulbs come out of the back of the board. The tape was more to protect against the glass breaking and shredding my fingers.

With it all reassembled the LEDs are far brighter but the design of the light across the dials isn't great. It ends up in hot spots where the centre dial is much brighter. I've had a thought though. With some careful silver reflective tape attached to the white plastic I should be able to spread the light. I am also toying with the idea of removing a piece of the black shield that covers up most of the bulb light. I could just slightly chop this out of the black shield.

https://i.imgur.com/uat3CxQ.jpg

Tags: