Hardtop / Antiflex plate question

Started by Anonymous, March 21, 2005, 12:19

Anonymous

I don't know if this is me being paranoid, but I thought it best to ask anyway.

Picked up a hardtop at the weekend (thanks Keirv6 - top bloke!), and I have to say that apart from the reduction in noise, the most startling thing about it is the increase in rigidity.  The car feels so much more solid, rides better, and just about all the rattles have disappeared.  This brings me to my question...

Eary last year I fitted Corky's breast plate, which some people have said makes the car feel more solid, like having the hard top on all the time.  Well, I must be honest and say that although there may have been a small difference, it was nothing like the change with the hardtop on.  Have I possibly messed up when fitting the plate, or am I expecting too much?

A little background.  The plate was fitted on reasonably level ground (but it could be better) and I used a torque wrench to tighten.  No other mods, but there are some TRD member braces sitting in the garage (still!) - I need some ramp extenders before I can get under to fit them!

GSB

Get those braces on you messer! The difference they make is incredible...
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

Yep, the hardtop makes the difference you mentioned. I took mine off in February and the rattles  s:x :x s:x  I'm not complaining as the mrs says they are a characteristic  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  
Don't know about Corky's as I've not got one.

Anonymous

That's weird as ours seems to be more rattly without the hard top on   s:? :? s:?

mrsmr2

Could be the hard top clasps that are rattling.
04 Astral Black, hard top, air con, black leather, Corky\'s MSMB; FSB;  RMB; RLCB, empty exhaust manifold, cg-lock.  Warranty: new wheels @ 20k, new pads and discs @ 21k, new wheels @ 26.4k

Anonymous

I've a corkys, and took the hardtop off this weekend, and noticed a big difference in vibration/rigidity.  To be honest the roads I'm on really do highlight things like that.

As I recall when I fitted the Corkys, it did make a heck of a difference, but then the hardtop makes even more.

One thing I need to do is recheck the corkys to make sure it's still on tight.

Anonymous

What braces should we get? How much? and where can we get them from?

kanujunkie

i've got the TRD strut braces ot tower bars, speak to Dieamond at http://www.mrs-passion.com
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

Thanks for the responses.

The Corkys still seems tightly fitted.  There's a little corrosion on the plate and bolts from the winter but other than that it all looks good.  I guess the better handling with the hardtop helps make up for the bad weather   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

I'd love to get the braces on!  Anyone know where I can get some ramp extenders or should I just buy some suitable axle stands(any recommendations) and try and torque down the braces with the car on the ground?

Cheers

Slacey

I have a friend down the road from me with a large inspection pit - if you are interested I'm sure we can ply him with beer or something to get them done?
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

That would be great!
Let me know where, when and how much (beer)     s:D :D s:D

roger

Quote from: "mrbarney"I'd love to get the braces on!  Anyone know where I can get some ramp extenders or should I just buy some suitable axle stands(any recommendations) and try and torque down the braces with the car on the ground?

Cheers

If you do buy some axle stands, don't do like I did and got some that were too high at their lowest point   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

I was also told on here, can't remember who, that under no circumstances use the axles as jacking points, they are too flimsy. Either use the designated points on the sides of the car, or there is a central point at both the back and front for a trolley jack. Never done that so can't say where offhand.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

aaronjb

Quote from: "roger"I was also told on here, can't remember who, that under no circumstances use the axles as jacking points

I think that might have been me  s;) ;) s;)  Axle stands are only called axle stands from the days cars had live axles that ran inside axle tubes.. Anyhow.. Jacking points:

m http://www.mindserv.co.uk/mr2-images/lift_points.jpg m
 m http://www.mindserv.co.uk/mr2-images/MR ... _Guide.jpg m

s:) :) s:)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Slacey

Quote from: "mrbarney"That would be great!
Let me know where, when and how much (beer)     s:D :D s:D
Where is Telford, when and how much beer I will negotiate with him tomorrow  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

roger

Quote from: "Slacey"Where is Telford,

I always thought it was the figment of somebodies imagination - now its confirmed by somebody who thinks he lives there   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Slacey

Quote from: "roger"
Quote from: "Slacey"Where is Telford,

I always thought it was the figment of somebodies imagination - now its confirmed by somebody who thinks he lives there   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
LOL!

I've just realised how that looked!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Tags: