Looking to buy MR2

Started by Anonymous, March 22, 2005, 13:18

Anonymous

Hi Roadster lovers!

Been lurking around here for a while now and would like to ask some questions before "taking the plunge" so to speak!

I am looking to buy an MR2 for the summer and I would like some advice please.

1.  How can I tell if an MR2 is an import or UK car?

2.  I will probably be getting a 53/04 model with around 10-20K on the clock, is there anything to look out for here?

3.  I am currently looking at one which is around £12k, is this a reasonable price?

4.  What is depreciation like for these cars, I presume it is quite low and will fluctuate depending upon when you buy/sell?

5.  Can someone point me in the direction of some pics which shows luggage space in bonnet as I assume I can get some stuff in there if I replace the spare with a canaster thingy.

6.  I would also require a luggage rack for those weekends away, how much do these hold and are they easy to remove and attach or are they perminent once bolted on?

Thanks in advance guy's sorry about the number of questions but I need to be sure that this baby will be a good summer buy for me  :-) :-) :-)

Lee.

Anonymous

Welcome Lee.

You are correct about depreciation and resale values are definatley seasonal.

A search will find previous threads on luggage racks and storage space (including the excellent rear bags).

In answer to the last point about it being a good buy for summer. Find a nice day and test one.

s8) 8) s8)

Anonymous

Welcome mate...
Get one quick if I were you as prices may start to get a bit silly with summer on its way.

Out of interest, have you found any 03/04's for around £12K, coz that sounds slightly optimistic. Maybe a early 03 from a private seller?! No way from a Toyota dealer I would of thought.

Anyways, good choice whatever you get.

Liz

Hi and welcome along  s:) :) s:)  , personally I would not take the spare out, it feels and handles differently, some will swear by it though  s:? :? s:?
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

Hello.   s:) :) s:)

1. Look for "extra" fog light, square rear number plate and not a Sony double DIN CD / cassette.  Also any alarm buttons will not be integrated into the key.

2.  It's still under warranty.  Other than the normal stuff (accident damage, abuse etc) you would look for on any car there are no specific things I would worry about.

3. Sounds cheap to me for that age.

4. Yup.  There's a summer / winter thing going on.  Depreciation seems fairly good.

5.  Erm..  a couple of tesco carriers with the spare in place is about max.  If it's a uk car the alarm siren will be under the spare and so unprotected without the spare in.  And cannisters make a mess of tyre and alloy meaning no chance of a puncture repair.  Oh, and it makes the car more "understeer-y" with less weight up there.  I left mine alone.  There's more room behind the seats than you might think.

6. Never used one, but they don't look difficult to fit and remove.  They're certainly not permanent and do not mark the car if used properly.  About 1 or 2 suitcases will be the limit.  Check  m http://www.classic-carriers.nl/english/ ... a_mr2.html m

roger

You should try and get a late a one as possible, they are being upgraded about once a year - see the sticky on General.

By the way, because of the miserly depreciation its not that much more for a brand new one, around £15K. I appreciate a bit more than you were hoping but if you can find the extra, IMO well worth it for the extra warranty, and everything else that comes with you being the first owner.

If you are going secondhand, be quick. Prices will rise as the sun comes out!
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Haslamr2

Quote from: "roger"By the way, because of the miserly depreciation its not that much more for a brand new one, around £15K.

Hey Roger!

Where did you see new ones for that price please?
[size=75]05 MR2 1.8 VVT-i Roadster Red Spec Edit, TTE Dual exhaust TTE Lowering springs
Ali Larter in the passenger seat...lovin it!!! [/size]

roger

Quote from: "Haslamr2"
Quote from: "roger"By the way, because of the miserly depreciation its not that much more for a brand new one, around £15K.
Hey Roger!

Just checked, its actually £15499 OTR.  w www.autobytel.co.uk w

The cars are sourced from Inchcape, a Toyota main dealer, so no imports etc etc.

Even if you don't buy one there (and there is no haggling), its a useful bit of ammunition for you if buying elsewhere.

P.S. Thats where I got mine - price hasn't risen in 10 months, so maybe soon   s:? :? s:?
Roger

Anonymous

Quote from: "mrbarney"... 6. Never used one, but they don't look difficult to fit and remove.  They're certainly not permanent and do not mark the car if used properly.  About 1 or 2 suitcases will be the limit.  Check  m http://www.classic-carriers.nl/english/ ... a_mr2.html m

Correct on all counts. An absolute necessity for travelling, or picking up your friend at the airport. I'm quite delighted with mine:

Haslamr2

Quote from: "roger"
Hey Roger!

The cars are sourced from Inchcape, a Toyota main dealer, so no imports etc etc.

Even if you don't buy one there (and there is no haggling), its a useful bit of ammunition for you if buying elsewhere.

P.S. Thats where I got mine - price hasn't risen in 10 months, so maybe

soon   s:? :? s:?

Thanks for that! £1,700 off main dealer price sounds good to me!
Any advance on £15,499 OTR anyone??
[size=75]05 MR2 1.8 VVT-i Roadster Red Spec Edit, TTE Dual exhaust TTE Lowering springs

Haslamr2

Well just had a quick scout about and  w www.ukcarbroker.co.uk w  have them for £15,390!  Things are looking up  s:D :D s:D  
Metalic is £315 and air con is £810 (still not keen on stumping up that for AC!)  s:( :( s:(

heathstimpson

Hey Roger!

I paid £16,100 with leather and metallic.
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

roger

Quote from: "heathstimpson"I paid £16,100 with leather and metallic.

Good price, but that was 2 years ago! Doesn't time go quickly when you get older   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Roger

Haslamr2

Quote from: "heathstimpson"
Hey Roger!

Did you get aircon with that price as well?

heathstimpson

Quote from: "heathstimpson"
Hey Roger!

Did you get aircon with that price as well?
Unfortunately not; just the leather and metallic. I got my local dealer to do a similiar deal for someone else not that long ago. If your interested I could pass over the details.
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Haslamr2

Yeah please, thanks!  s8) 8) s8)

filcee

Quote from: "cavetser"6.  I would also require a luggage rack for those weekends away, how much do these hold and are they easy to remove and attach or are they perminent once bolted on?

I think you have fallen for all of the propaganda.  A luggage rack is absolutely not required, unless you have friend who have to take too much gear with them wherever they go.  There is plenty of lugagge space in the '2.  Admittedly it is a little bit 'distributed', and will take longer to pack than 'open the tailgate, chuck the bags in, close the tailgate'.  In my experience, it is perfectly possible for two people to go away for a week using just the space that is available.  A weekend away can be done with just the space behind one seat.

Actually, I'll caveat that, you may require a luggage rack if the '2 is to be your only car - you'll never get suitcases to the airport otherwise.  Although, if it was me, I would take a cab in those circumstances.
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

Tags: