I'm a failure...

Started by Anonymous, March 22, 2005, 19:07

Anonymous

Yes, it's all true. I'm a rubbish MR2 owner, and don't deserve to drive the car anymore.

No, I haven't been driving with the roof up in the sunshine. Nor have I been driving it like a girl (whoops, can't say that cos we've got loads of female owners here!) I mean like an old man (eek, we've got them too!) erm... like a rubbish thing?   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

It's worse. Yesterday, one of my friends asked me for advice on buying a new car: The choice was between the MG-TF or the '2. Can you guess which one he chose?   s:( :( s:(  

I tried, I really did. I pointed out just about every good thing about the '2 over the TF, and even a couple of negatives just to prove I was being 'fair' (  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  ), but he still went for The Evil One. It wasn't even the 160: He only got the 135!

It is with great sadness that I feel I must leave the club now. I'm only going to drag you all down. *

*I'm not leaving really, but the story is all true.

Anonymous

Dont get yourself down my friend, maybe your friend is just a hairdresser?  I mean doesnt the TF have two ciggy lighters for the hairdryer and straightners.

Slacey

Pah, leave him be. Obviously isn't right in the head. Your mate that is  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

loadswine

Advice fom an oldish man, don't worry about it, this person has obviously suffered a taste bypass. Just wait till he's had the TF for a little while and it falls to bits  s:P :P s:P  
Seriously, who would choose a TF over a 2?
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Liz

Just wait until you get the Hass and blow him away (so to speak!!) come to think of it you could anyway! Just think of the good club that he is missing out on   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

heathstimpson

Don't worry my own flesh and blood did the same  s:? :? s:?  My brother then blew the engine; rebuilt it at great cost and flogged it at a huge loss within six months. One day he will listen to me  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Darth Paul

A friend's just gone and bought her SECOND MGF/TF thing.  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Not that she ever drove it like a sports car. Mismatched cheapo tyres on the rear axle, top always up.  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:   She thought the zip open rear window was so the car could take large loads/extra ventilation.

When ordering the new one she went into the dealer and said, "I want to trade in my old MGF for a brand new TF. Yellow and it must have a CD player." Those were her only criteria! I asked her what engine was in it. No idea. Leather? No idea. She didn't even have a test drive.

I got home and went on the website – the 2005 car is no longer available in yellow and it now has a heated glass rear screen. Hers? Yellow and plastic screen.  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:   I think it's the 160 though – that's the only one that comes with a CD player. So her brand new car, in fact, isn't brand new, and has no leather.

She says she's gonna get an Elise next...  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   I told her she'd hate it. Rough ride. Very difficult to get in and out of. Roof is a PITA. But she still wants one to pose in. She will learn the hard way.

Anonymous

Quote from: "loadswine"Seriously, who would choose a TF over a 2?
I nearly did   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  
Then I drove them both - no contest   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Anonymous

You just can't help some people!  Don't beat yourself up, it's their loss!

aaronjb

Quote from: "mrbarney"I nearly did   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  
Then I drove them both - no contest   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

I drove an MG-TF 160 as well as the MR2 when I was looking - and if it hadn't been for the build quality on the MG, I might well have gone for that one.. It just felt.. sportier, somehow. The handling probably isn't as good as the '2, but it's rock-hard suspension makes it feel like you're going faster than you are  s:) :) s:)

But the fact that the six month old demonstrator (read: salesmans car) had a hole in the roof and stank of burning oil put me off! Oh and the gearchange, which was like stirring treacle - there were gears in there, somewhere.. Oh and the clutch was light-as-you-like and bit right at the top. Mind, the clutch on the '2 still isn't my favourite, but at least it's not feather light  s:) :) s:)

The boot was a major selling point, though, when I looked at the MG.. I mean.. it actually has one ..  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   s:) :) s:)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

aaronjb

Quote from: "heathstimpson"Don't worry my own flesh and blood did the same  s:? :? s:?  My brother then blew the engine; rebuilt it at great cost

Don't forget, ours have a tendency to do the same!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   s:) :) s:)

Although at least a second hand engine for ours is only a few hundred..
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

dimwit

I must confess, like Aaron, we were going to buy the TF-160, but we was going to have to wait for a "5 month delivery"...  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

heathstimpson

Quote from: "aaronjb"
Quote from: "heathstimpson"Don't worry my own flesh and blood did the same  s:? :? s:?  My brother then blew the engine; rebuilt it at great cost

Don't forget, ours have a tendency to do the same!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   s:) :) s:)

Although at least a second hand engine for ours is only a few hundred..
The Rover K series units are far more unreliable than the 2's engine. My dad has a garage and reckons they overheat all the time causing major damage.
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Tags: