Steering wheel and boss

Started by Bossworld, March 6, 2019, 15:47

Bossworld

My head now hurts after trying to read up on which steering boss supports self-cancelling indicators, which one comes with airbag/horn adaptors and all the rest.

As far as I can see:

1) A cheap 3.3ohm resistor, legs plugged into the airbag plug, will cancel the light. Unsure how much heat that will generate, but HKB want £10-15 for the same piece of kit (although that may come with a plug)
2) I want a Momo or HKB boss so that the steering wheel comes out as far as stock.
3) A deep dish wheel on top of that, should solve all my problems. Unless I ever crash. In which case, I may not have any more problems in this life 😉
4) I have no idea which brands will cancel the indicators. There's a Momo writeup on Spyderchat that's far more involved than SpyderLee's video so I'm guessing they've possibly updated the kit over the years?

This was the Spyderchat write up (for an all inclusive kit that I can't track down):  https://www.spyderchat.com/forums/showthread.php?39028-How-To-Install-an-Aftermarket-Steering-Wheel-(COMPLETE

This was the Momo job:  https://www.spyderchat.com/forums/showthread.php?10784-MOMO-Steering-wheel-hub-install

There are some cheap bosses on eBay for £10-£30, I imagine they're all the same as the £3 listing on AliBaba so intending to give that a wide berth. However if I've got to spend £80, I want one that's hassle free and does everything..

Anyone got any more recent guidance?

Thanks

james_ly

I have the Momo boss and OMP wheel from Demontweeks (I believe MOMO and OMP are the same size)
My indicators cancel.
Horn I need to fix - the OEM connector for the wire snags on the boss, so either modding that connector or soldering the wires will fix that.

Video that helped me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlP2KJyPnPs
MR2 gone<br />GT86

Gaz mr-s

A Momo or quality boss is designed to 'collapse' in an impact. The cheap one's aren't. I've also seen a pic of a cheap one that sheared in apparent normal use.

Bossworld

Thanks both,
I wonder why the chap on Spyderchat went to town on his Mimo then?!

Was also recommended one that Driftworks sells (the HKB) but the Momo is cheaper so that's fine by me.

mikek

Momo on mine, everything works as it should and is easy to fit. No way was I going to skimp on the thing that you control the car with....£80 vs £30 is a no brainer for me.....£50 is nothing compared with a steering wheel coming off in your hands!!!!
2zz by Rogue. Se7en cams. BMC CDA. Competion clutches lightened flywheel, Megillian Racing Exhaust. TRD sportivo suspension and ARB\'s. TRD braces. TRD quick shift. TRD dash kit, Matts brace. Getting there but not sure when it will stop!

mikek

Same applys  to steering wheels, you can buy cheap but cheap can also bend, flex and break......why risk it? Plenty of 2nd hand momo steering wheels for sale if price is an issue.
2zz by Rogue. Se7en cams. BMC CDA. Competion clutches lightened flywheel, Megillian Racing Exhaust. TRD sportivo suspension and ARB\'s. TRD braces. TRD quick shift. TRD dash kit, Matts brace. Getting there but not sure when it will stop!

Bossworld

Yeah definitely going Momo as above, was just concerned that the most comprehensive Momo write up on Spyderchat involved so much butchering of existing kit.  Just trying to find a discount or similar as I'm not in an immediate rush due to lack of funds.

May come back from some fitting advice if that's OK?  I'm going to solder to the horn pin, I'm still a little unsure as to where the little disc fits in (is it between boss and wheel) which I think is horn related?

Bossworld

Bugger it, ordered.

Boss from Carthrottle

Genine OMP wheel from Amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00DSIYGVU/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

May end up sending back as I'm unsure if 300mm is going to be too small to drive with but will at least be a useful test for knee clearance/indicator reach.  39 in the end after another return went back.

I think I'm after a 320mm deep dish wheel.

shnazzle

39? How'd yoy manage that?? Says its 100
...neutiquam erro.

Bossworld

Had some credit to use up from a return

Dudi

Have the same 300mm wheel, find it too small to be honest. Issue is getting in and out of the car with fixed buckets so going for a removable boss and a 320mm dished wheel.

Bossworld

Quote from: Dudi on March  7, 2019, 22:27
Have the same 300mm wheel, find it too small to be honest. Issue is getting in and out of the car with fixed buckets so going for a removable boss and a 320mm dished wheel.

I had a quick feel around the wheel (oo-err) on the drive in to work this morning, I think a 320 dished would be ideal, with the exception of

A) Having to reach for indicators
B) I think the 'natural' driving position is going to be a bit close to me - a dished wheel apparently brings the wheel about 3 inches closer.

There are some marketed as a smaller dish which I may look into.

Alex Knight

Quote from: Bossworld on March  7, 2019, 15:09
May end up sending back as I'm unsure if 300mm is going to be too small to drive with but will at least be a useful test for knee clearance/indicator reach.  Also got a horrible feeling that the price means it'll be a return of the one in the pictures (with the scratch but again we'll see).

I fitted a 330mm Personal Neo Grinta wheel (pictured below) a couple of years back, and I ended up selling it because 330mm felt too small.

Bought another Personal Neo Grinta wheel in 350mm and felt it was perfect.

Bossworld

Quote from: Alex Knight on March  8, 2019, 11:16
Quote from: Bossworld on March  7, 2019, 15:09
May end up sending back as I'm unsure if 300mm is going to be too small to drive with but will at least be a useful test for knee clearance/indicator reach.  Also got a horrible feeling that the price means it'll be a return of the one in the pictures (with the scratch but again we'll see).

I fitted a 330mm Personal Neo Grinta wheel (pictured below) a couple of years back, and I ended up selling it because 330mm felt too small.

Bought another Personal Neo Grinta wheel in 350mm and felt it was perfect.

Looks nice that  8)

I'm kinda stuck as in my case, it needs to be smaller or dished, or maybe even both. I'm only changing as I'm knackering my hip driving the car with my leg at funny angles. Got the lowest profile shoes I could find.

Perhaps a 350 dished would extend out far enough to make the knee clearance null and void but unfortunately it's not a simple thing to test out without buying lots of wheels.

Bossworld

Wheel arrived (with horn) in perfect fettle so delighted with that. Think the boss is at the sorting office. Will try and fit this week

Any tips on fitting a two contact horn?

DropLinked

Quote from: Bossworld on March 10, 2019, 16:23
Wheel arrived (with horn) in perfect fettle so delighted with that. Think the boss is at the sorting office. Will try and fit this week

I used a mono boss along with the stock spiral cable for the +ve horn wire (which retained the self cancelling indicators). I then grounded the horn to the boss for the - ve wire.

Bossworld

Quote from: DropLinked on March 11, 2019, 15:40
Quote from: Bossworld on March 10, 2019, 16:23

I used a mono boss along with the stock spiral cable for the +ve horn wire (which retained the self cancelling indicators). I then grounded the horn to the boss for the - ve wire.

Thank you. I'll take a look at the pieces tomorrow. I think there's a small disc with a tab on it which I'm guessing is the negative wire/ground, just need to look at some instructions to see where that disc fits in the order of things

DropLinked

The order should be spline > spiral cable > boss > wheel > horn

I have to say that the wheel was one of the best mods I've done. Not only do my legs now fit, the dished wheel gives a spot on driving position, and feels much better.

Hope everything goes smoothly.

Bossworld

I surely can't be the first person in the world to use an OMP wheel and a Momo boss?

While the horn clips into the wheel fine, it doesnt fit into the grounding ring for the boss, it's too wide?

Reading further up, you mention you just grounded to the boss itself? As the horn sits in the wheel snugly, I clearly don't need this ring as a retainer, but I could still do with the tab for the ground I think?

Bossworld

Wheel is on, I've figured a workaround to ground the horn but need another spade connector so will have to wait. It's comically small - you can see it fits entirely within the stock wheel with space to spare  :D

I was still trying to weigh up after getting new tyres and wheel tracking done if the stock wheel was ever soslightly off centre. I think it was as a very quick test up and down the road makes me think it's still off in the same direction. Too little to take up via the steering wheel splines so will leave for now

upload pic

DropLinked

shnazzle

Looks great. But most importantly, does it address the knee clearance issues?
...neutiquam erro.

Bossworld

Quote from: shnazzle on March 12, 2019, 21:13
Looks great. But most importantly, does it address the knee clearance issues?

Yes, thank the lord. I've only gone 10 yards up and down the cul de sac as I've not fully tightened down yet in case something was amiss. Hopefully get it finished tomorrow, I've fashioned a ground cable together.

I'm going to spend tonight telling myself that taking the boss off the splines and trying to move it one to the right is only going to end in tears.

I now need to get used to actually having my right knee under the wheel as well  :))

shnazzle

Woohoo! Looking forward to a full review.
If I didn't have a custom upholstered wheel I'd be interested
...neutiquam erro.

Gaz mr-s

I'm going to fitting an aftermarket too.  What operates the indicator self-cancelling?  And the airbag resistor, is there a tolerance or does it need to be 3.3 Ohm. Wattage?

Tags: