New owner - It's great - but a bit worrying?

Started by Anonymous, April 11, 2005, 12:49

Anonymous

Hi,

For 2 weeks i've now been the proud owner of a 2000 '2.  Can't fault the car it's amazing - except 2 things :

The stereo is awful - but that's easily dealt with.

The other thing that's concerning me is - is there any kind of rollover protection at all on the '2?  Toyota don't mention any windscreen strengthening or anything?  Is it possible to have something installed?  I did a search on the forum but didn't find that much on this.

Thanks,
Matthew.

Anonymous

I think the windscreen is strong enough for 2 times the weight of the car or something like that.  Having said that, i wouldn't want to be upside down in it.  Rollbars are available.

Anonymous

Hi Odub,

Thanks for replying.  Do you know where rollbars are available from?  I know Toyota do some cosmetic ones, but they don't seem to do proper ones?

Thanks,
Matt.

Tem

Yeah, the windscreen will most likely survive a roll.

Please do a search on rollbars  s;) ;) s;)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Hi Tem,

Thanks for your reply.

I did a search on rollbars before posting, but although there was some discussion I didn't find anything saying that the windscreen had definitely been reinforced (some people thought it might be), or anyone mentioning if a proper rollbar was available and if so where from.

Thanks,
Matt.

darrenjuggins

Hi Matt,

All the Role Bars that have appeared on the forum are cosmetic type, as for protection, I am more than sure the front screen acts as a roll over bar, just like the MX5, MGF, Barcetta, etc.

We have had pictures of battered 2's on here from time to time and the passenger cells always seems to have survived.

Are you prone to rolling cars, or are you just a lttle concerned if you do ?

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Darren
Darren A. Juggins

Anonymous

The functional rollbars that have been installed on this side of the pond aren't anything you'd want in a daily driver. They require the virtual removal of the rear storage bins and have extra bracing that runs alongside the driver's and passenger's seats, mounting on the floor at the front of the footwells. This makes entry and exit a real hassle. And they are very expensive to build and install.

There was a video I saw posted somewhere that was shot inside of a Spyder racing on a mountain course. Following a driver mishap, the car ran up a slope at an angle, sat there a moment, then rolled over completely, coming back to rest on its wheels. The windscreen shattered, but the frame  maintained its shape and didn't crumble.

GSB

The windscreen frame is pretty strong on these cars. You'd literally need to drop the car on its head to cause any kind of serious deformation.

Interestingly you've asked the question about rollover safety on your MR2, but have you ever stopped to think about what passes from rollover protection in your other cars? Most people dont, and many think driving a car like the MR2 is unsafe, when they'll be more than happy to drive around in a Chelsea tractor, a type of car thats hundreds of times more likely to flip over, and kill them in the process. Tin tops arent as strong as they make out to be, but they look substantial, and therefore dont come under scrutiny. Trust me, they aint that good.

The fact is that if your car goes over, you aren't going to be starring in a new episode of "and they walked away"... its gonna hurt... But, by its very design and good managment of wieght, the MR2 is far less unlikley to become inverted than many other types of cars. If it does happen, then hopefully you'll live to tell the tale. The windscreen frame will stop the car from crushing the occupants in most cases, but crush injuries arent usually what get you when a car goes over.

[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

awesome news, something I always wondered about my little car but never thought to ask!

Tem

Quote from: "GSB"The windscreen frame is pretty strong on these cars. You'd literally need to drop the car on its head to cause any kind of serious deformation.

According to SC, the car needs to pass a test where they drop it upside down and the windshield frame has to handle that. I can only assume we get the same strong windshield frame in Europe.

(maybe we have a similar test, I have no idea?)

GSB has a good point. It's also worth remembering that the thin sheet of metal on most cars that's called a roof, offers very little to no protection in a rollover. Ever seen a car where someone jumped on? Even that's enough to make the driver hit his head on the roof, is he was inside  s:? :? s:?
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Hi everyone,

Thanks very much for all taking the time to reply.  I think I feel a bit better now  s;) ;) s;)   I just wondered why on the mazda website and the mg website they specifically say that their windscreens are reinforced, but Toyota don't.

It really is a great car though.  I had a Mk2 as well about 3 years ago, and loved that.  The whole feel of the car is just right.  My wife has the Corolla T Sport which she's had for 3 years.  That is a hoot, the engine note above 6000 revs is great - though on a track the MR2 would murder it despite it's 189 horses.

Thanks,
Matthew.

noddynurdle

imo
toyota dont mention the limited slip diff on the pre-facelift ones but that helps to stop it flipping as it more likely to slide first
it might go off it you touch it
2000 red/black second hand had 5500 on clock
now got 38000.
MODS after market valve caps, dynamatted focal 165a speakers, visor pluged, painted calipers and a set of Victor\'s bags.
oh and me nodding dog called spot.

kanujunkie

Quote from: "darrenjuggins"All the Role Bars that have appeared on the forum are cosmetic type

no they havn't, weve talked about them before, on here but i beleive that Adam(Jap GT300) has one that he never fitted or can at least point you in the right direction for suppliers
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

Hi,

Thanks for that Kanujunkie.

I notice some people have said that they believe the windscreen is reinforced - I just wondered how they know this?  I'm wondering if everyone has heard this from someone else, or if there is a verfiable source somewhere that states this?

I don't know why i'm following this up so much - i've never rolled a car or even nearly rolled one...  

Thanks,
Matthew.

kanujunkie

if you want to have a quick look at the structure to satisfy your worries then just remove the interior light, dont bother with the trim, it's a nightmare to remove
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

SteveJ

Quote from: "noddynurdle"toyota dont mention the limited slip diff on the pre-facelift ones but that helps to stop it flipping as it more likely to slide first

Eh   s:?: :?: s:?:    s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Liz

I think that more of a worry is the Chelsea Tractor hitting you side on. I was in a main road the other day in a queue, in a side road waiting to come out was one of the new Volvo 4x4's. (Yes full of kids and a diminutive female driver, I deliberately didn't let her out) I noticed that the front bumper of this was right in line with my head, so if you took a t- bone smash from one of those unless you were quick enough to duck..instant decapitation  s:? :? s:?
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

I really don't see the worry about the '2 and rollovers/crashes in general.

You could have a minor smash in a Volvo and die, and a big smash in the '2 and live. Accidents are accidents, and there are so many variables that it's almost impossible to say that one car is safer than another (the NCAP tests are fine, but even then they only test certain crashes in exactly the same way i.e. head on at 30, side impact at 50 etc).

I feel as safe in my car as I do in my truck: In the truck, it's bigger than most things; and in the car, I'm more likely to able to manoeuvre out of the way.

If you were that worried about car crashes, you'd simply never get into a car.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Liz"I think that more of a worry is the Chelsea Tractor hitting you side on. I was in a main road the other day in a queue, in a side road waiting to come out was one of the new Volvo 4x4's. (Yes full of kids and a diminutive female driver, I deliberately didn't let her out) I noticed that the front bumper of this was right in line with my head, so if you took a t- bone smash from one of those unless you were quick enough to duck..instant decapitation  s:? :? s:?

Thanks Liz, just eating my sausage & egg butty (they call em bread cakes up here though).

Anonymous

Quote from: "matto"Hi,

Thanks for that Kanujunkie.

I notice some people have said that they believe the windscreen is reinforced - I just wondered how they know this?  I'm wondering if everyone has heard this from someone else, or if there is a verfiable source somewhere that states this?

I don't know why i'm following this up so much - i've never rolled a car or even nearly rolled one...  

Thanks,
Matthew.

No need. If there is no visible roll over structure on the car, in Europe at least, it is a legal requirement for there to be some kind of roll over protection. In our case the only way that can be done is through the windscreen surround.

Don't worry about it. 1) the likelyhood of you rolling it is pretty remote (unless you are asking for a specific reason because you only EVER drive the car like you stole it!) 2) I would be more worried about everything else on the road, not our car.......

Tags: