PFL JDM Rear Light Conversion

Started by Alex Knight, January 3, 2020, 00:04

Alex Knight

As per the title really.

Has anyone converted to them, or know how it's done? I really like the look with 4 tail lights!

Ozzy

This is funny, I came online to ask the same thing... Except I was thinking to fit a light/SMD board in the middle reflector bit as well so its all lit up.

I would assume splicing into the positive and negative wires of the original brake light bulb but not sure if its that simple.

Bossworld

Wouldn't you need a fog light fitting somehow?  Or is it already included in the cluster?

Petrus

Quote from: Bossworld on January 20, 2020, 20:09Wouldn't you need a fog light fitting somehow?  Or is it already included in the cluster?

The mod is putting a secong running/brake duplo in parallel in the fog light socket. Yes you would need to fit a fog light elsewhere.

Ozzy

Easy solution would be to remove one of the reverse lights and put the foggy there, like it's done on most JDM cars.

I'm going to have a bash at modding the tail lights sometime but I want all of it lit up across the bottom. Did a quick photoshop and think it looks a lot better than the quad tail lights. They look a bit odd with the unlit reflector in the middle.

To get it import style, I believe you just need another bulb holder, same as the fog light so it's a straight fit and splice it into the original brake light wiring.

Alex Knight

I've been thinking about this, and was wondering if it could be as simple as replacing the rear light loom with a JDM loom, and swapping the fog light bulb for a regular rear bulb (ignoring the requirement for a fog light for the moment)?

Untitled by Alex Knight, on Flickr

Wilky1974

I have done this mod to a set of PFL lights. Very easy to do. I also installed a small LED fog light into the grill on the rear bumper to keep it all legal.

shnazzle

Could you not add a brighter LED into two of the lights? 

Splice rear light wiring into the fog light wiring to double the amount of rear lights, then keep the stock fog light wiring, drill a hole and add very bright LED?
...neutiquam erro.

Alex Knight

Quote from: Wilky1974 on May 11, 2020, 21:32I have done this mod to a set of PFL lights. Very easy to do. I also installed a small LED fog light into the grill on the rear bumper to keep it all legal.

Could you elaborate on how you did this please?

Jay

Looks like a case of buying a set :

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/f425812522

Then adding an aftermarket rear fog like I have to do with my Starlet Turbos. 

Or could it be that simple?

Alex Knight

Quote from: Jay on May 12, 2020, 09:38Looks like a case of buying a set :

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/f425812522

Then adding an aftermarket rear fog like I have to do with my Starlet Turbos. 

Or could it be that simple?

I think the actual light unit looks the same to me. Wouldn't you just need the loom from the lights only?

Jay

Don't think the JDM MRS has a rear foglamp in the unit.  If that's the case it would only need an aftermarket one added to pass MOT.

One of those real tasty looking ones that hang off the rear bumper  :))

Alex Knight

Quote from: Jay on May 12, 2020, 19:51Don't think the JDM MRS has a rear foglamp in the unit.  If that's the case it would only need an aftermarket one added to pass MOT.

One of those real tasty looking ones that hang off the rear bumper  :))

Yeah, I'm aware of that.

*Potentially* if it was a simple case of swapping looms over, to pass an MOT that would be all you'd need to do?

Wilky1974

Quote from: Alex Knight on May 11, 2020, 22:41
Quote from: Wilky1974 on May 11, 2020, 21:32I have done this mod to a set of PFL lights. Very easy to do. I also installed a small LED fog light into the grill on the rear bumper to keep it all legal.

Of course. I bought a second set of PFL looms from a breakers. Cut the brake light/side light off the spare loom and spliced it into the original loom. You then need to trim the 'new' brake light/slight light bulb holder to get it into the slot on the rear cluster. At the same time I put new LED bulbs in to both pairs of bulb holders. The effect is really quick good! 

As for the fog light I bought a LED unit (as fitted to a motorcycle) and connected to the fog light section of the loom.

The total job set me back around £25.

Let me know if you need any pictures.

Alex Knight

Quote from: Wilky1974 on May 15, 2020, 20:30
Quote from: Alex Knight on May 11, 2020, 22:41

Of course. I bought a second set of PFL looms from a breakers. Cut the brake light/side light off the spare loom and spliced it into the original loom. You then need to trim the 'new' brake light/slight light bulb holder to get it into the slot on the rear cluster. At the same time I put new LED bulbs in to both pairs of bulb holders. The effect is really quick good! 

As for the fog light I bought a LED unit (as fitted to a motorcycle) and connected to the fog light section of the loom.

The total job set me back around £25.

Let me know if you need any pictures.

That's incredibly helpful, thanks so much.

Pictures would be great!

Wilky1974

Annoyingly mate I can't find the photo of the wiring itself but it's really simple. Will get a snap of it tomorrow. Here are the ends results though!

Jay

Looks well  8)

Is that the foglamp in the middle?

shnazzle

That does look miles better
...neutiquam erro.

Wilky1974

Quote from: Jay on May 17, 2020, 10:22Looks well  8)

Is that the foglamp in the middle?

It is mate. Not totally happy with it but it keeps things road legal.

Alex Knight

Fantastic - thanks so much for uploading the pics.

If you get the chance to upload pics of the wiring, I'd be very grateful :)

Tags: