TRD intake

Started by Amarlborough, March 16, 2020, 15:31

Mark A

Would anybody have the dimensions of the MKiii pipe as I assume they are long out of production?

Diameter both ends
Angle of the bend
And the length using the mid point of the tube

Mark

Amarlborough

@Mark A i still have my mine was going to sell it after all this is over. First dibs to you if you want it.

Think the last one sold on here went for £60

Petrus

I´ve decided to have a go at a less restrictive elbow.
Although rather a fan of the horn shape, in this case it goes down to hálf the surface and that is a bit much of a restriction.
Will keep you posted. Ofcourse  ;)

Mark A

Quote from: Amarlborough on April 24, 2020, 18:20@Mark A i still have my mine was going to sell it after all this is over. First dibs to you if you want it.

Think the last one sold on here went for £60

Yes please.

Petrus

The stub on the air filter housing has an outside diameter of 76mm.
Measured over the inner bend, the length is 30 cm.
These are surprisingly standard elbow dimensions.

To my surprise found several sources in UK and Germany for fitting pipes with 45 degree bend in both alumium and silicon. Matching bellmouths even.

The specific density(weight) of silicon is 0.9-1.3 and that of aluminum is 2.7 making wall thickness a thing to take into account.
A 2mm thick alumium tube weighs the same as a 5mm thick silicon one.
Making silicon more attractive for both the literally more flexible mounting and vibrating being less of an issue.

My first choice is a silicon duct reducing from 90 to 76mm inner diameter and a bell mouth with 90mm inner opening. This should eliminate turbulence at the entry and give a nice ´ram´-effect into the housing

Alternative is plastic  ´corugated ´ duct with a bellmouth. When using 76mm internal diameter the ribs inside actualy aíd flow and this ducting is available in more lengths meaning that the air column of the ducting can be partly recreated. Even at 75 cm. it will be the lightest option too.

Have sent enquiries about combined shipment out.

To be continued...

Petrus

It´s in and have done a short spin.
Adds a deep tone, derestricts the breathing at the top end.
Cost 28 quid.

You cannot view this attachment.

shnazzle

Quote from: Petrus on May 14, 2020, 09:25It´s in and have done a short spin.
Adds a deep tone, derestricts the breathing at the top end.
Cost 28 quid.

You cannot view this attachment.

Makes sense, shorter tract. For those with 2zz and 1zz intake, maybe a worthwhile mod
...neutiquam erro.

Petrus

Quote from: shnazzle on May 14, 2020, 09:45Makes sense, shorter tract. For those with 2zz and 1zz intake, maybe a worthwhile mod

Also, the OEM elbow has an internal diameter of 65mm at the entry of the air filter box and 45mm at the restriction.
The funnel I have stuck on is 76 and óver the stub of the box, resulting that the entry is now the 70mm of the box stub. The entry is the internal 90mm of the bell mouth.
Length is the same as OEM elbow.

The length of the intake tract is indeed way shorter as the elbow is not stuck into the duct through the rea quarter panel. That however I already had removed over half a year ago.
On my car it is a comparison between free intake OEM horn elbow and the new funnel elbow. See Belle´s thread for the two fotos together.

The same seller, autosiliconehose, has a wide selection of elbows, even carbon and all very reasonably priced.
I opted for the silicon funnel as it is the least restrictive and literally flexible, simplifying fitting.

Zspeed

Quote from: Petrus on May 14, 2020, 10:01
Quote from: shnazzle on May 14, 2020, 09:45Makes sense, shorter tract. For those with 2zz and 1zz intake, maybe a worthwhile mod

Also, the OEM elbow has an internal diameter of 65mm at the entry of the air filter box and 45mm at the restriction.
The funnel I have stuck on is 76 and óver the stub of the box, resulting that the entry is now the 70mm of the box stub. The entry is the internal 90mm of the bell mouth.
Length is the same as OEM elbow.

The length of the intake tract is indeed way shorter as the elbow is not stuck into the duct through the rea quarter panel. That however I already had removed over half a year ago.
On my car it is a comparison between free intake OEM horn elbow and the new funnel elbow. See Belle´s thread for the two fotos together.

The same seller, autosiliconehose, has a wide selection of elbows, even carbon and all very reasonably priced.
I opted for the silicon funnel as it is the least restrictive and literally flexible, simplifying fitting.

Hi, I was looking into markii pipes when I read this thread. Are you still using this set up or have you improved on it any further? Sounds like a cost effective solution to do the same job. Well done.
Mostly Silver 04 Roadster. 2zz MAF, Decat Manifold, Zero Sports Cat Pipe.

Petrus

Still in here. Still great.

Bonus; last week the one gf observed that she lóved the intake growl.

Zspeed

Quote from: Petrus on August  2, 2021, 09:05Still in here. Still great.

Lol, bonus. Do you use a standard panel filter or a aftermarket one? If aftermarket, do you think it is essential to support what is happening?

Petrus

Quote from: Zspeed on August  2, 2021, 11:57

Lol, bonus. Do you use a standard panel filter or a aftermarket one? If aftermarket, do you think it is essential to support what is happening?

Aftermarket. Do not understand the question. Support whát?

Zspeed

Quote from: Petrus on August  2, 2021, 13:38
Quote from: Zspeed on August  2, 2021, 11:57

Aftermarket. Do not understand the question. Support whát?

I thought I read you are using the standard filter box. If so, with the wider pipe have you changed to an aftermarket panel filter in the box or is it still a standard oe spec air filter. Wondered if a standard filter might reduce the roar.

Petrus

OEM box.

Smithy

I did a similar mod as pictured below with a length of silicone pipe clamped to the OEM airbox with a bell mouth. I run a K&N panel filter too.
my fuelling isn't effected, no performance gains to report but I like the extra intake sound.
03 Astral black MR2 OEM+

Tags: